Thread: My mandolin tablature - I call it "Howzatgo"

Default My mandolin tablature - I call it "Howzatgo"

I learn and play by ear, but I often needed something to jog my memory as to how a tune might start. I developed a simple (I think) tablature system to help. After a while, instead of just tabbing the first few measures, I figured I might as well transcribe entire tunes. I now have over 800 tabs, mostly Old Time with a few Celtic and a few miscellany. I carry my “cheat sheets” in my mandolin case.

Howzatgo is in Microsoft Access so I can alphabetize, sort, etc. I can put it in Word for folks who don't have Access.

Maybe you'll find Howzatgo useful. I believe it has the advantage of requiring less music theory, and it is more compact than other systems. It's all text, so there's no need for musical staffs. I can get a dozen or so full tunes to a page, and several dozens if I just abbreviate them to the first few measures.

Here’s how a simple “Angeline the Baker” looks, and then a detailed (sometimes redundant) explanation of how Howzatgo works. You should be able to play Angeline by reference to Section 1 - The Basics. Section 2 - Beyond the Basics is for more complicated tunes and arrangements. Hopefully, my turgid prose will not prevent you from appreciating the system.

A part:
    2x2 2(2x2 / 2(5x2 2(5 2 / 2(2x2 2(5x2 / 2(5xx4 / 2(5xx4 / 2x2 2(2x2 / 2(5x2 2(5 2 / 2(2xx4 / 2(2xx4 / 2x2 2(2x2 / 2(5x2 1x2 / 1(2x2 1x2 / 2(5x2 2(5 1 / 1(2x2 1x2 / 2(5x2 2(2x2 / 2xx4 / 2xx4 /

B part:
    1(5x2 1(2x2 / 1x2 2(5 1 / 1(2x2 1x2 / 2(5xx4 / 1(5x2 1(2x2 / 1x2 2(5x2 / 2(2xx4 / 2(2xx4 / 1(5x2 1(2x2 / 1x2 2(5 1 / 1(2x2 1x2 / 2(5x2 2(5 1 / 1(2x2 1x2 / 2(5x2 2(2x2 / 2xx4 / 2xx4 /

SECTION 1 - THE BASICS

FIGURES - The four strings from low to high - GDAE =4321. I show fret numbers by a left parentheses followed by the fret number: (1 = first fret; (2 = second fret; (3 = third fret, etc. So, fretting the first string at the second fret = 1(2; the fourth string at the fifth fret = 4(5. All the figures, such as 2, 1(2, and 4(5, are quarter notes by default. When a beat is longer (half note, whole note), the figures are followed by x2, xx3, xx4, or xx6 (waltz) such as 1(2x2 or 4(5xx4.

Each individual figure (open string; fretted string; or either, with beats indicated) is separated from the next figure by a space.

OPEN STRING FIGURES - An open string note is shown by a single number - without a left parentheses. You play the string without fretting it. “1” means play the 1st string without fretting it. “3” means play the 3rd string without fretting it, and so on.

FRETTED STRING FIGURES - To denote a fretted note, the first number will indicate the string, followed by a left parentheses, followed by the fret position. 1(2 means play the lst string fretted at the 2nd fret. 2(5 means play the 2nd string fretted at the 5th fret. 4(4 means play the 4th string at the 4th fret.

FIGURES WITH BEATS - Each figure represents one strike of the pick. A simple figure (a single number indicating an open string; or a number followed by parentheses & a fret number) is to be held for one beat. To denote that the note is to be held for a longer period (i.e. before the next strike of the pick) the figure will be followed by lower case x and the number of additional beats to hold the note. For example, 1 or1(2 should be held for one beat. 1x2 or 1(2x2 should be held for two beats. 1xx4 or 1(2xx4 should be held for 4 beats.

MEASURES - Slashes enclose a 4-beat or 6-beat (waltz) measure: / / So far, almost all of the transcriptions are based on 4 or 6 beat measures. The few jigs I’ve tabbed will be either 3 or 6 beat measures depending on how much coffee I’ve had that morning.

LETTERS
    Lower case x – followed by a beat indication – x2, xx4. (I don’t know why I’ve used xx4 or xx6 when I could use just x4 or x6, but my writing has morphed into that way and I haven’t changed it.)

SECTION 2 - BEYOND THE BASICS. ADVANCED

Capital X, in brackets, as in [2X] – indicating how many times you would play a passage (or the part, as in "A part"), rather than a note.

I will note different structures after the title: aabb, aab, abac, etc. If there's no note, assume aabb.

Lower case h - HAMMER ONS – Occasionally, I have included hammer-ons (Pete Seeger’s term) in the transcriptions. They are two beats long. They look like this: 1h1(5 or 2(2h2(5. You play the figure before the h, and then slam your finger down at the indicated fret so hard that it sounds the second note – you don’t strike the 2nd note with the pick. I find that they are useful especially when playing fast and are stylistically pleasing to my ear. However, any “h” can be ignored and replaced by a space, if you choose, so that 1h1(5 equals 1 1(5; or 2(2h2(5 equals 2(2 2(5.

OTHER FIGURES
    Lower case s - SLIDE – From one fret to another - for instance, a one beat slide: 2(2s2(3. I don’t naturally use slides, unlike some other mandolin players, but if I think I hear a slide in my source recording, then I try to include it in the transcription

DOUBLE STOPS – 2 notes within brackets, usually resulting in a chord. For instance, [2(2 + 1(3] is a 2-finger G chord; [2(5 + 1(2] is a 2-finger D. Bracketed figures can have beats: [2(2 + 1(3]x2; [2(5 + 1(2]xx4.

TRIPLETS - For instance, 2t2(2t2(4. This equals 2 2(4 or any note x2, and usually done with a pluck followed by 2 hammer-ons.

SPECIAL RHYTHMIC FIGURES – My tablature has been developed over several years, and it’s still a work in progress. I have adopted another figure with a note followed by xx4, such as 2(2xx4. This is the “bump ditty” or “bump a ditty” rhythm (equal to a “potato” at the beginning of a tune), which could have been written out as 2(2x2 2(2 2(2. It appears in almost every tune. You might see something like "2 1xx3" in which the 2 is your bump, and the 1xx3 is "aditty." For waltzes you'll see xx6, so 4xx6 is a bumpa ditty ditty.

REPEATS - rt*t - Sometimes, you’ll see an asterisk and later on “rt*t” - This translates as “Repeat to asterisk, then. . . .” (i.e. “Go back to the beginning of the part, and repeat it until you reach the asterisk, then jump to whatever follows “rt*t.”) It will apply to a section of the a or b part, rather than the entire a or b part.

I rarely include an instruction to repeat an “a” or “b” part of the tune, but when I do, it can appear as [2X] or however many. Most Old Time tunes have a structure of aabb, so repeating the part is assumed. It can also be the subject of heated controversy, depending on the tune. Occasionally I will indicate whether I believe a tune should be aabb or aab or aab or abac or whatever, in the title field. I also will occasionally indicate my source for the version that I’ve tabbed.

If you have any questions, please let me know: 805-368-8115; matchbookholder@yahoo.com

Good luck,

Andy

]

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My mandolin tablature - I call it "Howzatgo"

Thanks I will try it.
    I have never been able to get very far with traditional tab as I found it frustrating. For me, so much easier to look at the dots and let my fingers do the walking.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Thanks I will try it.
    I have never been able to get very far with traditional tab as I found it frustrating. For me, so much easier to look at the dots and let my fingers do the walking.
    Tried it. Too much to think about. For me, the dots do not require any thinking.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

It’s interesting but given most everything is going to be in Tab or standard musical notation , learning a new stream doesn’t make sense to me

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    It’s interesting but given most everything is going to be in Tab or standard musical notation , learning a new stream doesn’t make sense to me
    I'm of the same persuasion. Also, there is already something called ABC format. I prefer the dots and also use TAB, that’s enough IMO. But kudos to OP for creating this for his personal use. Interesting and creative.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Reinventing the wheel.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

wow!!!!!! thats the wierdest stuff i have seen in a while but if it works for you thats a good thing. the main problem for any tab or music reader is that people try to put bluegrass in 4 count measures. that doesnt work, if you take steffey......most of his liks dont fit in 1 measure, they overlap or stop short. his liks like monroe and many others are unconventional. if you just write the lik and play it where it starts and ends then ya kin actually see how the song is played .. you can see how its layed out ...when i write tabs they dont look like normal tabs because its laid out how the scales,runs and liks fall according to the song not to the timing. it is so mush easier that way. tab allows you to write what ever you want ....you dont have to foiiow any rules. thats the beauty of tab. kudo's to your new unconventional style.

It’s amazing and beautiful how differently our minds work. I read the OP with great interest until
    I got to the demo of Howzatgo and didn’t make it past 4 numbers 😹 It’s awesome that you came up with a shorthand that works well for you, and I greatly appreciate you sharing it with all of us, but I’ll be sticking with tab and notation. Props for the effort, though!

I use a variation of the traditional music notation. Instead of 5 lines get out the ruler and rule up 7. Use the traditional crotchets, quavers rests etc but instead of the absolute names of the notes make them all key relative. ie In the key of A the A is on the bottom line, the second is on the second line the 3rd the 3rd line and the 4th in the first gap. the flat 3rd is of course between the 2nd and 3rd line. Everybody thinks differently of course, but this allows you to see the dips of rises and falls of the melody at a glance which regular tab doesn't. And the system works in every key. Just have to be a 1st, 3rd and 5th relative thinker.

Here's how a page of the super-abbreviated tabs looks. It's some A tunes, just the A part.
    It gives me the first few notes to remember how to start that tune I know, but it just ain't popping out. Alternatively, I can glance at a page and use it as a suggestion for "What do we play next?". Abbreviated this way, I carry the 800+ tunes on 6 pieces of 8.5X11 paper. If the abbreviation isn't enough to kickstart my brain, or if I can't remember the B part, I can refer back to my master list (many pages) for the full transcription.

By the way, I use Microsoft Access for Howzatgo. It's easy enough to copy & paste tunes, sheets, or the whole thing into Word. I prefer using Access to Word because it automatically alphabetizes a new tune, and it also allows me to search.
    Attachment 211608

Or to give you a better taste, here's Jay Unger's Ashokan Farewell. Key of D. You'll need to refer to "Beyond the Basics."

A Part - 2t2(22t(4 / 2(5x2 2(5 2(4 2(2 2 / 3(4xx4 3(2h3(4 / 3(5x2 3(5 3(4 3(2 3 / 4(4 3xx3 3h4(4 / 4(2x2 3x2 3(4x2 / 2x2 2(5x2 1(2x2* / 1(2x2 1(2h1(3 1(2x2 / 1xx4 rt*t 2x2 2h2(4 1x2 / 2(5xx4

B Part - 3(4h3(5 / 2x2 3(4x2 3x2 / 2(5xx4 2x2 / 2(2x2 2(2h2(4 2(5 2(2 / 2x2 3(4x2 3(2x2 / 3(4x2 3(4 3(2 3x2 / 4(4xx4 4x2 / 4(2xx6 / 2xx4 3(4 3(2 / 3x2 3(4x2 2x2 / 2(3xx6 / 2(2x2 2(2h2(4 2(5 2(2 / 2x2 3(4x2 3x2 / 4(2x2 3x2 3(4x2 / 2x2 2(5x2 3(4x2 / 3(2xx4 3h4(6 / 3xx4

and John Salyer's Kentucky Winder. Key of G. Note: In the A part, this "2(5x2 / x2" equals 2(5xx4, but it spilt over into the next measure.
    A part - 1(3xx4 / 1x2 2(5x2 / x2 1(3h1(5 / 1(7x2 1(5x2 / 1(3x2 1(7 1(3 / 1h2(5 2(2 2 / 2(2h2(5 1h1(2 / 1xx4 / 1h1(2 1(3 1 / 1h2(5 2(2 2 / 2(2h2(5 1h1(2 / 1x2 2(5x2 / 2(2 2 2(5 2(2 / 2h3(5 3(2h3(5* / 2h3(5 3(5 rt*t 2h3(5xx3 / 3(5x2

B-Part - 2(3x2 [or2x2] / 2(2xx4 / 2h3(5 3(2h3(5 / 2h3(5xx3 / 3(5x2 2(2h2(5 / 1h2(5 2(2h3(5 / 2h3(5 3(2h3(5 */ 2h3(5xx3 / 3(5x2 [repeat 2X more then rt*t] 2h3(5 3(5

In Access, I have the a & b parts set out horizontally, but when I copy & paste it into this Forum, it comes out as a paragraph. Saves room, but maybe not so easy to read.

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

I'm sure that OP developed the shorthand system primarily so he wouldn't forget things that he spent a lot of time doing (800+!) and for his own personal use. Elegant in its simplicity and compactness. I also tab a lot of tunes. My shorthand is simply to use a legal pad and use the space above and below the lines to define the strings. And a couple marks to identify hammers, pull-offs, slides, tremolo, etc. I particularly like how TAB visualizes the flow of notes along each string, I can't think of another system that does that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 9.27.24 AM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	211610

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Being dyslexic this form of reading music really is impossible for me to use. I even have troubles with TAB cause I get confused on which string is above and below the one I’m currently on. But, as said before I’m astounded by how our minds work and how each person finds different ways of doing similar tasks. Nice work Sir!

14. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

newton