Thread: Need theory help

Default Need theory help

After viewing a "how to" vid on youtube, I have hopes of playing "Dance Tonight' with two others. I would rather not have each of us play the same chords, but rather each of us play complimentary chords simultaneously.
    The youtube vid link is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkNyQ...eature=related
    I don't have enough theory training to figure out the other two complimentary chords. Please help with any ideas you may have.

Thanks, Eric

Default Re: Need theory help

This is the song written and performed by Paul McCartney...correct? It has been discussed at the Cafe before so you can do a search and read all of the previous posts and learn the names of the chords he plays. If you post that chord progression some of us, that haven't learned the song, could then offer suggestions.

Default Re: Need theory help

Not that it's a bad thing, but if you play "complimentary chords" simultaneously, you will probably change the flavor of the song. Another idea would be to play different voicings of the same chords. When the song chords is F, instead of someone playing a Dm, or an altered F or something, just play different shapes of F.

One thing about that video, the guy is playing good chords but he is calling some of them by the wrong names. That Fmaj7 which "might be a Gmaj7," is an Ebmaj7. Since his mandolin is tuned down a full step, the standard mando turning chord at that position would be called Fmaj7. When he played a D and said it might be an E, it's a C.

Do the search Jon recommended, because this song has been thoroughly discussed here, and the chords and tunings are spelled out as well. I would not really try to perform this song with "complimentary" chords, I would use Paul's chords. But that's just me.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me