Thread: Bluegrass solo strumming patterns and techniques

Question Bluegrass solo strumming patterns and techniques

Greetings! I'm new to this board and just started learning the mandolin. I've been practicing regularly for 2 months now.

I was wondering if there were any good resources out there that would show me some interesting strumming patterns. I've begun to learn how to pick some of the traditional bluegrass songs like old joe clark and red haired boy and I can strum quite a few chords. I would like to learn how to make the rhythm more interesting when playing alone. When I see others play they seem to duplicate on the mandolin what it would sound like if there were more instruments behind it (if that makes sense). It's almost like they are strumming along like they have a guitar but also getting a good chop on the 2-4 beat. Basically what I'm asking is, how do you get a good groove on the instrument that makes people want to dance. Here's a for instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm0BJ...eature=related

I haven't seen any resources that address this. Can anyone here help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Default Re: Bluegrass solo strumming patterns and techniques

I recommend "John McGann's Rhythm Mandolin" dvd. It is exactly what you are looking for. John is a regular visitor and contributor to the Cafe. You can order the dvd directly from John.

www.johnmcgann.com

Default Re: Bluegrass solo strumming patterns and techniques

Thanks Jon, I'll check it out!