Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Again SUCEK

Hello folks, I'm newbie in this discussion - I'm thinking about pickin a new mando from Pavel Sucek or any other well reputated czech luthier. Does anyone have some informations about dealers here in the states? Thanks Mark

Hello and welcome Mark, this luthier was discussed before some time already. There is one dealer in the states, his nick on MC is Sparechange, try to drop him a message.

As far the other Czech luthiers - the best way would be to contact Mr.Trevor Moyle from "The Acoustic Music Company". He is importing almost all good Czech brands. Good luck, Alex

Thanks for the info Alex! According to my informations, there should be one more "unofficial" dealer for Sucek mandolins - I've already written to Mr.Benjamin, but he didn't have any suitable F5 mandolin on stock now.

Hi Mark,
    To my knowledge, Dennis is the only Sucek dealer in the U.S. and in order to obtain one you either have to get lucky that he has one in stock (which is unlikely) or order one through him. I have an A style on order through him currently. He's pretty easy to deal with. I didn't have to put down a downpayment, but I'm in a situation where I'm trading web design services for a mando, so my situation isn't the norm.

For what its worth, I've heard some great things about these mandos, and the only reason they are priced how they are is because of 1, the exchange rate to the Czech Republic, and 2, he's pretty new on the American scene. I'm guessing that in a few years, his mandos will jump considerably in price...

If you haven't already, I'd write him back and ask what the wait time is on an order. I'm hearing that Pavel is turning them around pretty fast. Tell him I sent ya

No financial interest by the way...

Dave
    Mandofiddle

I'm afraid Mark, that there isn't any other stable dealer for the USA, but it is possible, that someone other bought few mandolins directly from Pavel and now he sells them in your country (there was some F5 on the ebay recently).

Thanks for help guys! I'll keep trying to find the other person and maybe the new Sucek mandolin will come soon! All the best, Mark

If you're interested in Janish or Capek and some other Czech builders, August Watters, one of our little community here can be reached at www.galleryofstrings.com. You can see what's available with some great pics.

No financial interest...he just seems like a good guy and I like to see the local fellow (Boston area) do good .
    Steve

Check Greg Boyds he has some Prucha's that are really great. I just bought one from him and could not be more happy. There are some A's that are really well priced and a fantasic F that compares with mine. Those who played mone rate it over the Gibson F master and the Collings F.

Rick

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's a summary of the small Czech mandolin builders and their US representatives:

The 15-25 year veteran full-time builders:
    Jaroslav Prucha - represented by Greg Boyd in Montana
    Eduard Kristufek (Krishot) - represented by Old Town Pickin Parlor in Colorado
    Jiri Lebeda - represented by Jeff Cowherd in Kentucky
    Rostislav Capek, Ondra Holoubek, Pavel Janish and Roman Zajicek (Rozawood) - represented by me, Gallery of Strings in Boston, Massachusetts

Newer builders on the scene: these (including Sucek) are listed over on Mandolin Cafe. Often these are less expensive than the more experienced #builders because of the reasons Dave mentions, and also: like their western counterparts, newer Czech builders will sometimes work for less than a living wage, at first, to get their name out. It's part of the normal cycle for builders: if you buy from a newer builder whose name isn't as well known yet, you might get a good handmade mando for less. As a builder gets to be better known, prices go up to a living wage, or whatever the market will bear.

To my knowledge, there currently aren't any Czech-manufactured mandolins widely available in the US -- the economics don't seem to support a factory operation designed for exporting, as in the Pac Rim. All the Czech builders named above are small shops with very limited output.

August W
    http://www.galleryofstrings.com

Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

I have recently acquired a Pavel Sucek mandolin and i can honestly say that this is one of the best mandolins i have had in my hands. Forgive the long entry here but i feel that a bit of background is in order....

I was actually the intended recipient of the mysterious "ebay" sucek and had paid Dennis in full for this mandolin months before it got lost. I felt it was best to keep out of it and have faith that the issue would be resolved with a happy ending. I still dont know the full story but Mr. Benjamin has done a fantastic job in finding me a suitable replacement and i couldnt be happier with my new mandolin.

I hope the images come through as this is as beatiful in appearance as it is in tone. i will write more about the tone and craftsmanship soon but for now let me just say what an honor it is to own such a fine instrument and i hope that Mr. Sucek continues to receive high praise for his outstanding work. Cheers.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blonde_02.gif 
Views:	289 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	3116  

shes a beauty

Name:	blonde_01.gif 
Views:	260 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	3117  

Name:	blonde_03.gif 
Views:	280 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	3118  

Name:	blonde_04.gif 
Views:	292 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	3119  

That is a gorgeous mandolin! Wow! I had never heard of Sucek before but yours looks really good. I love the lighter color and the binding looks good with it.
    Play, play, play!

Jacob Hawkins

i got my lebeda premium plus from mandolins.net. it is a killer mandolin with perfect workmanship.

Byron Berline has a new Krishot listed on his website at www.doublestop.com.
    Keep it acoustic.

I own a two-point, f-hole sucek. I've really enjoyed it since taking posession this spring.

The only thing I wasn't really pleased with was the bridge. When I got the mando the bridge was set all the way down so the wood of the saddle was touching the wood of the bridge. There was no room to go down and I wanted to lower the action a bit.

I've cured this by making a "red henry" style one-piece bridge out of ebony. It sounds great. I've finally got the action where I want it and will be compensating the bridge this weekend.

Overall, however, I am very happy with my Sucek. The tone is really great and it plays wonderfully.
    I took the road less traveled. It became impassable so I had to turn back.

My Sucek is quite nice too; well worth the still-low introductory price. Mine's the sister instrument to Daikin's two-point; but mine's an oval hole. Extremely deep full tone and the neck plays well. Very good craftsmanship and he's got a very nice eye for finish, as I can see once more in the photos up there.
    Wye Knot

What is the starting point on the F's and how do you inquire about one of these. I really like that blonde.
    42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

# # # :::::::

---Ryan Stackhouse---

Do a search here for a member named SpareChange. Shoot him a message. You can also find Pavel's email on his website. The pricing will come down to you thru Mr. SpareChange since you're a USA customer, but you could discuss features, finish and what not with Pavel. He's helpful and attentive with questions.
    Wye Knot

Hey Reverb, is yours X-braced? That scroll work is gorgeous. Do you have any real close-ups? What's the bridge on there?
    Wye Knot

the bracing on my blonde is tone bar and it has a very loud bark already. this is going to be one increadible instrument when it fully opens up. I actually ordered an X-braced F style as well...i had a sucek A with x bracing for a week or so and that little bugger really had a fantastic bass. im thinking this next "XF" could be the ultimate mando....

I will try and take some close ups and post them when i get a chance.

Pavel is not only a convential builder, he is real craftsman with rich experiences. I know him very well (btw. It was me, who sent informations about him to Mr.Scott Tichenor to place them in to the MC builders section). Despite of few problems, that occured (the"mysterious" e-bay mando, etc..) I expect there is a great career before him!

We are now working in introducing new Czech luthier, also stay tuned..!

Oddly enough, although I live in Portland, OR - this post is coming to you from Decin, CZ

I had a very short notice trip here: I left the States on Saturday, arrived in Prague on Sunday, drove to Decin Monday and will be taking the train back to Prague tonight.

Unfortunately I had absolutely NO time to coordinate any mandolin builders into this trip, nor any time to myself to really go exploring music shops.

Hopefully, I'll have time on future trips for which I have more input on my itinerary.

Reverb41, that's the first Sucek with tone bars I'm aware of. As of late last summer/early fall when me and Daikin ordered ours I was told he only makes X-bracing.
    Y'really think the XF will sound noticeably better than the XA?
    So, where's SpareChange? He's usually right on top of these things...
    Wye Knot

26. The following members say thank you to Lee for this post: