Thread: Stella Mandolins

In this topic a link is given to a mando discussion on an other forum (a guitar forum).

On that forum they mention a Stella mandolin. Being somewhat of an acoustic blues nut, I have something for them old Stella guitars. They have gained quite a cult status in the blues world, at least the old ones.

So, how about the mandos?

Are they as "bad in a good kind of way" as their guitar cousins?

Are they plain junk?

Are they rare? (a quick seach on google doesn't reveal a lot of old mandolins)

What kinds of wood were used?

How about prices?

A lot of questions # # #

I've always been crazy, but it kept me from going insane! (W.J.)

Syncopation rules the nation! (S.J.)

My very first exposure to stringed instruments was a family friend who had a Stella guitar and a Stella mandolin. I showed such an interest in them that he actually bought me a Stella guitar. Both of those instruments hold a sentimental value for me, but they were not particularly well built and they were made of spruce plywood. (Mine actually fell apart a few years after I got it). For students, the step up was Harmony or Kay. They were better constructed and some of them even had solid wood ( pressed ). The Harmony's also hold sentimental memories for baby boomers and are border line collectors' items for that reason - although they still are not worth much. As for the Stellas, if there are still some American made instruments that are in one piece, they are probably being used as wall hangers.

Way back, Stellas were made by the Oscar Schmidt Compnay of New Jersey. They were not worse or better than many of the budget lines of intend to restore. Nothing special but it does have the soul of the Stella 12 strings and it is a solid wood mandolin. I have a feeling that it will sound all right. I can't tell -- the top is stained dark -- whether it is spruce or mahogany. I thinkl this one is prob from the 1920s or so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steall_fltbk_sm.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	3161  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The best part of this is the label. It is hard to tell but i think it has a picture of a man and his daughter, prob named Stella.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stella_label_sm.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	3162  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1