Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mandolin orchestra videos on Youtube

Default Re: Mandolin orchestra videos on Youtube

The mandolin ensemble that I formed last spring, the Syzygia Mandolin Ensemble, had its premier performance this past Tuesday at the Hartt School of Music in West Hartford, CT. Here is a video of a piece by John Goodin titled "Cathedral Hill." We have had a lot of fun bringing the group together over the past few months. I do want to apologize to Tad, who got accidentally cut out of the frame on the video - Sorry Tad!

My WWW Home | Prester John Duo | New American Mandolin Ensemble
    "So Much Music, So Little Time!"

Beanzy: Thanks for telling.

David: you have got a lot done in a short time. Thanks for sharing ! I heard a piece of John Goodin for the first time, nice.

Margriet

Hi All,

Enjoy 'THE SONG OF THE JAPANESE AUTUMN' by Yasuo Kuwahara (1946 - 2003) performed by the Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra Het CONSORT with Sebastiaan de Grebber as the mandolin soloist playing his own cadenza to this composition.

An outdoor concert given by Het CONSORT during the 1st FESTIVAL INTERNAZIONALE ORCHESTRE A PLETTRO in the ancient TEATRO GRECO in Taormina, Sicily, Italy, on July 25, 2011.

Best greetings,

Alex.

Alex & Orchestra,

Simply fabulous. I think the venue is spectacular. Maybe someday the orchestra that I am a part of will also have an opportunity to perform there.

Thank you for all of the videos that you post by Het Consort.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Below are two new videos from one of the recent performances by the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra, Brian Oberlin Conducting.

These were recorded from the 16 September 2011 concert at the Glenn & Viola Cultural Arts Center in Hillsboro, Oregon. I appologize for lighting of the First's section (the camera just can't seem to account for the high light level).

First -- Vocalise by Serge Rachmaninoff with Featured Soloist Josh Fienberg

Second -- Two Dances from Spain by an unkown composer(s)

MLT
    Labraid Cytole

Registered User attikaorchestra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank you a lot Victor! Looking forward performing "Peripatos" and any other of your works...

My warmest and most enthusiastic congratulations to all of you!

By way of context: this orchestration stemmed from one of the issues of my tiny, and ~quite~ non-commercial GrecoMando Editions, originally as a duet for (one) mandolin and guitar. For those interested, I simply cut and paste the introduction of that edition.

---
    Nikolaos Halikiopoulos Mántzaros was born on October 26, 1795, in Kérkyra (Corfu); he died in his native city on March 31, 1872. In 1826, he moved to Italy, where he studied at the Naples Conservatory with the great pedagogue Nicola Zingarelli, teacher also of Vincenzo Bellini, Saverio Mercadante, and several other notable composers of the Italian concert and operatic stage.

Upon Zingarelli's retirement in 1835, Mántzaros was offered the directorship of the Naples Conservatory by his admiring teacher; he was later offered a similar position at the Milan Conservatory. He declined both offers, as he had already returned to Kérkyra, where he single-handedly directed the local Philharmonic Society and the Conservatory, taught all musical subjects pro bono, and even assisted his neediest and worthiest students at his own expense.

Mántzaros’ fame —in Greece alone— rests on his setting of the Greek National Anthem, "Hymn to Liberty", on poetry by Dionysios Solomós. Apart from that one composition, however, his work remains unknown. Yet Mántzaros composed 12 Fugues for Piano, 3 Masses (one for the Orthodox, and two for the Catholic liturgy), one Cantata, Lamentations of Jeremiah, Psalms of David, works for piano, numerous songs and works for vocal ensemble, as well as 24 Symphonies-Overtures.

The Sinfonie-Overture are one-movement, yet sectional works, in the style of Italian academic classicism. The extant manuscripts are in "short score": two staves, one in treble, one in bass clef. The texture consists of a rhythmically vigorous melody, an almost equally active countermelody in the bass, and sparse, chordal inner voices. There is no authoritative evidence on the intended instrumentation.

The texture of these works hardly speaks of pianistic writing. It is most likely that, when his schedule allowed, Mántzaros would have "spread out" these charming compositions (which were after all the major corpus of his compositional output) for some sort of ensemble, creating a proper conductor’s score and writing out parts for the various instruments; his total devotion to his students and their needs over his own ambitions never allowed him the time to do so. The Symphonies were never performed in their composer’s lifetime.

It is the editor’s firm belief that plucked instruments, so broadly popular in the Ionian Islands during the 19th century, would have certainly struck the composer as at least one possibility for instrumentation of the Symphonies. We have therefore picked up this presumed intention of Mántzaros where he left it and scored his Sinfonia-Overtura Nş 5 in E major for mandolin and guitar. We find that the result is convincingly, beautifully, and charmingly fitting for plucked/picked instruments; in fact, it is hard to imagine any instruments other than mandolins and guitars that would capture the work’s character as aptly. We hope you agree.

---

Thanks to the skills and talents of ATTIKA, one of my fondest dreams has come true. I am deeply grateful to this young, high-spirited group, and look forward to their development in the years to come.

Three cheers for Attika, Mántzaros, and the organizers of the Bulgarian festival.

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

As I have posted here in the past, our ensemble plays a lot of pieces by the early 20th century Dutch mandolin composer Johan Kok. I have just looked around for Youtube videos of Kok's orchestral pieces, and there are quite a few around:

La Frisonette (by an ad-hoc orchestra at CMSA 2010, presumably featuring some of our Cafe members)

Balalaika Souvenir (same orchestra)

Same piece again by another orchestra

Tredici

Benvenuto

Benvenuto again

No sure which piece this is as the title is given only in Japanese. Sounds a bit like La Festa Splendora but isn't it.

Sempre Vivo

Sonatine No. 1

L'Ile Enchantee

Balalaika Souvenir (again)

Balalaika Souvenir yet again: clearly Kok's most popular piece on Youtube.

We have about 50 pieces by Johan Kok in our repertoire, but still only four of these eight pieces ("Balalaika Souvenir", "Tredici", "La Frisonette" and "L'Ile Enchantee"), the only one of which we play regularly being Balalaika Souvenir. The above doesn't really reflect the true range of the material, being heavily biased towards the more bombastic and cinematic end rather than his more charming smaller pieces. He was very prolific indeed, and always fun to play!

Martin

This is the inaugural weekend performance of the New Expression Mandolin Orchestra (NEMO). This is a new San Diego orchestra conducted and directed by classical mandolinist Chris Acquavella. We will hopefully be starting our second season in the new year.

Congratulations to Chris & all of the members of NEMO on thier inagural performance. Thanks for sharing the video. Best to you all as you enter your second season in the new year.
    MLT
    Labraid Cytole

Blog Entries

Was looking for the most appropriate place to put this and thought this old thread would be best for this ensemble.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

Hi all,

Here is a video just for fun and to send you our best wishes for a happy, healthy and musical 2017!

Alex and all the members of The Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra HET CONSORT.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alex Timmerman For This Useful Post:

3stepBCVegasBeanzyEugene