Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin orchestra videos on Youtube

Default Re: Mandolin orchestra videos on Youtube

Lovely performance and, oh, what WONDERFUL memories! Thank you for posting this, Margriet. It reminds me I should re-establish contact with some of those friends, compatriots, and fellow-mandolinists.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Also nice to see all these young Greeks playing mandolins and mandolin-family instruments. In the "Dark Ages" of my own youth, such a thing would have been nearly inconceivable, as we were in the interim between a long-gone heyday and the veritable Renaissance of the present day. Attika seems to get a good deal of air-time; they deserve it!

See? We're not all bad ;-) We play mandolins. We have talented young people. We enjoy each other's company. Factoring in "human capital", not all our assets are toxic; it is rather our ~dear~ leaders (bar none) who are Toxic Asses.

But I digress...

Three cheers for the players of Attika!

Victor

I like the polyphonic harmony on this video.

Hi all,

Here is a video of Piazzolla's 'La Muerte del Angel'.

Cheers,

Alex.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../0/MhzJMIwWSmY

SPECTACULAR playing! Coupled, of course, with Piazzolla's unique ability to be brusque without being brutish, and sentimental without being maudlin. A tough balance-point for a composer to find... Het Consort does justice to both the "spice" and the sentiment of this score. Bravi!

Cheers,

Victor

Thanks Victor!

You are absolutely right; Piazzolla and his music are very special! We like this particular piece very much; especially because of the voicing in the dramatic middle section. Very rewarding to play! I think some of these Tangos will be a nice addition on our next CONSORT CD. Thanks for your appreciation!

Alex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	'Angel'..jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	61960  

Hi Alex,
    Very beautiful playing, as always. The arrangement is also quite interesting -- much more involved/elaborated than, say, the Brouwer arrangment for solo guitar but also not a duplicate of the Piazzolla original (as best as I could tell). Yet I would think you would have to have worked from some score as a point of departure?
    Robert A. Margo

Hello Robert,

Thanks for your comment! For the Piazzolla music I always listen first to a particular composition on his CD's that I have. This way I get a notion how the special effects (glissandi, pizzicati, percussion etc.) are done and how these effects can be best produced by a mandolin orchestra. Or how they can come closest to the original sound.
    After that I like it to see, if there are any on YouTube, a video of that work performed by Piazzolla and his ensemble. Then I study the score and start working on the arrangement of the music for mandolin orchestra.
    In the arrangement for Het CONSORT of Piazzolla's 'La Muerte del Ángel' I tried to stay as close as possible to the original Tango score by José Bragato. That was indeed my 'point of departure' and that is as close one can get, I think, also concidering the fact that Bragato performed together with Astor Piazzolla, playing – ánd recording - the violoncello in the various ensembles around Piazzolla. For instance with the nonetto ‘Conjunto 9’ and the ensemble ‘Octeto Buenos Aires’.

More info on Astor Piazzolla and his musical curriculum vitae is to be found here: http://www.piazzolla.org/biography/b...y-english.html

Best greetings,

Alex.

PS. Please forward my best regards to Mark and Beverly and all the members of the PMO.

Nice rendition of a Venezuelan waltz, La Partida.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here are two video's of "Dimitris Dounis" quintet, 4 Athenians ( from Attika Plucked String Orchestra) and 1 Napolitan (Raffaele La Ragione). Made last week, on tour.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl0dnAleg58

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/marcogilli#p/a/u/1/gecifx4rb2s"]http://www.youtube.com/user/marcogilli#p/a/u/1/gecifx4rb2s[/
    URL]

Enjoy..... (I do)

Margriet

the second did not work......
    here another try

LOVELY! Thank you SOOOooooooooo much for posting these, Margriet!

In one of my many email-exchanges with Ali S., who had just recorded some works of Hadjidakis (along with some by other Greek composers, Yours Truly included), she asked me, point-blank, what I thought of it; after all, I was Greek, I had crossed paths with Hadjidakis innumerable times, I had grown up with his music ringing in my ears, ever since childhood— he was but a few decades my senior. In her usual candor, she simply wanted to know my "take" on it all.

I replied, perhaps more passionately than expected, with a hypothetical scenario: if an imaginary library, wherein ALL 20th-century Greek music (my own included) were housed were on fire, and I had but ONE in-and-out trip to make before the ceiling caved in on me, I'd have gladly jumped into the flames; if I could have salvaged ONE piece of music in that desperate effort, it would surely have been one by Hadjidakis, not one of my own, or by anyone else.

I stand by that. And Gioconda's Smile would have been a prime candidate for salvation from said hypothetical inferno. Not every composer's pen is touched by an angel...

Cheers,

Victor

After a couple of months of following this forum, it seems that this is the right time to post, after... 7 or 8 years! Some of you may even remember me (Victor, Eugene, Plami). Anyway, since I "participate" in the last two videos (on the cello), I thought you might also enjoy this video, shot in Cremona, Nov. 21:

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgos View Post
    Some of you may even remember me (Victor, Eugene, Plami).
    Oh, but... OF COURSE we remember you! Thanks for posting this nice video!

Καλές γιορτές και καλή χρονιά, εντός ημερών...

Cheers,

Victor

(I may, just may be in Athens some time in February. We should stay in touch...)

Καλή χρονιά και σε σένα Βίκτωρα!

Hope to see you whenever you're back in Athens - ironically, as I found out, you came to the Orfeio Conservatory for Orlandi's workshop the only day I wasn't there

Very nice! Thanks for posting Giorgos.

Best wishes for 2011
    and
    greetings from Holland,

Alex.

Mmmm... I seem to have pressed the button twice... and can't delete one of the two. But re-editing is possible!

Therefore I make of this post a very Best Wishes one for everybody!!!
    And I do that with adding a new video I made by combining two films made of the same concert. A concert also that is very special to me.
    So here is the Mandolin Concerto No. 1 in d minor by JOHN CRATON premièred by the young Dutch mandolinist Ferdinand Binnendijk on June 15th, 2006 in the concert hall of the Nieuwe Buitensociëteit in Zwolle, Netherlands. Ferdinand is accompanied by the 'Het Orkest van Het Oosten' lead by Candida Thompson.

To stay 'in Greek' spheres it is perhaps nice to know that John Craton dedicated this wonderful Concerto for solo mandolin with string orchestra to 'our own' Victor Kioulaphides.

Enjoy!

Alex.

Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Dec-30-2010 at 6:51am.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgos View Post
    Hope to see you whenever you're back in Athens - ironically, as I found out, you came to the Orfeio Conservatory for Orlandi's workshop the only day I wasn't there
    Ah, what MAGICAL times those were! Ugo Orlandi was there, Margriet was there, all the Greek contingency was of course there...

Well, we ought to make some new good times, too!

Cheers,

Victor

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Timmerman View Post
    To stay 'in Greek' spheres it is perhaps nice to know that John Craton dedicated this wonderful Concerto for solo mandolin with string orchestra to 'our own' Victor Kioulaphides.
    John's grace and generosity far outpaces any merit on my side, of course; it there ever was a less deserving dedicatee, well... that would be hard to imagine. But I am grateful, all the same, and offer my heartfelt compliments to John for such a lovely, charming, energetic composition. The young Ferdinand did it justice.

Cheers,

Victor

Smile Re: Mandolin orchestra videos on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Timmerman View Post
    So here is the Mandolin Concerto No. 1 in d minor by JOHN CRATON premièred by the young Dutch mandolinist Ferdinand Binnendijk on June 15th, 2006 in the concert hall of the Nieuwe Buitensociëteit in Zwolle, Netherlands. Ferdinand is accompanied by the 'Het Orkest van Het Oosten' lead by Candida Thompson.
    What we have here is a concerto for mandolin and string orchestra, which is....VERY interesting!
    Do we have a thread for that ? I was looking and found "mandolin concerts of note", but I think that one is meant for upcoming concerts; another one is called "mandolin in major orchestra repertoire" and there is the "mandolin in opera" thread.

Maybe some member who is much more handy than me on cafe knows where it fits the best, or he/she can open a new thread (I would not dare). It would be nice to have more mandolin concerts together, where this one can have a real worthy place. (we can also start one with "young talents..... How old was Ferdinand when he played this ?

Margriet

Blog Entries

Acquavella already posted linked this video but here is an embed. I posted it again because I love this conductor (and the music of course)!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Margriet View Post
    How old was Ferdinand when he played this ?

Margriet

Hi Margriet,

Ferdinand Binnendijk was 15 years old when he performed John's 1st Mandolin Concerto.

Best,

Alex

PS. Thanks for the Birthday present, wonderful!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    Ah, what MAGICAL times those were! Ugo Orlandi was there, Margriet was there, all the Greek contingency was of course there...

Well, we ought to make some new good times, too!

Cheers,

Victor
    I agree !

Nice to see you here, Giorgos and I hope another time again in Athens as well !

Margriet

Well... our next encounter will be on this side of the pond, soon enough. As for my Greek friends and colleagues, first I'll have to let my travel plans firm up. In all cases, a great deal of mandolin-playing is expected.

Cheers,

Victor

Found another one, nice.

I think the soloist is Raffaele La Ragione.