Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin orchestra videos on Youtube

Default Mandolin orchestra videos on Youtube

Solists have their relaitvely long-running thread. I thought orchestras might deserve some attention too. To start, here's a fine sounding mandolin orchestra in Madeira (mostly...other than the older "Tuna D'Elas" posts).

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin orchestra videos on Youtube

Posted elsewhere:

We've enabled the ability to embed these videos directly into forum pages now if you wish.

Here's how

Ok, this isn't really an orchestra but it's not a solo either.

Of course it's also not "classical" except in the broad sense that mandolin orchestras of the early 20th century played this music. Nick Robinson of the Skedaddlers sent me an email saying that the group was using some of the Golden Era sheet music from my site.

This particular piece can be found in the Whitney Warner Collection of Mandolin & Guitar Music, arranged by Samuel Siegel. It's sure fun to hear.

Thanks to Scott for making this so easy.

John G.

Here is another performance from the same orchestra from Madeira. This time in a Christmas concert with the title "Bandolins tocam Natal" (Mandolins play Christmas).
    It's a non-permanent orchestra created back in September that resulted from the 1st Plectrum Orchestra Training, and still hasn't got a name.

BTW I'm playing on the 2nd row, 2nd place from the left.

Tchaikovsky - Waltz of the Flowers

Christmas Medley

You can hear and download the MP3 recordings here.

Enjoy,

Élio

I found this one today! Great stuff.
    Ruth

I'm not sure if my attempt at putting it up has worked. If not, here is the link

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xsAeRqW0xns

Song of the Spirit; Karl Jenkins (1944)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCbLMJSrK3c

Since Alex has not posted this, I thought I'd indulge myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur4iI...y_videos_edit2

The visual aspect is, in my humble opinion, MIRACULOUS! I absolutely LOVE how the daylight dims as the piece progresses, and city lights come gradually aglow. Credit for all this goes to Mr. Ulderink, the brilliantly creative cameraman who thought of projecting images of New York's Central Park, as a visual backdrop, on the wall of the church where this performance took place. I have no praise that could be high enough for his work.

The playing of Het Consort is, of course, no less miraculous than the visual component. To give credit where credit is due: I wrote the original version of this score with quartetto romantico instrumentation, for the Baltimore Mandolin Quartet; the version referenced here is an "expanded" orchestration by the ever skillful Mr. Timmerman, music director of this fine ensemble. I wholeheartedly approve of, and greatly admire the touch-ups he added.

The piece itself, well... that I will leave for others to judge. It is a quiet, contemplative, meditative work, where little "happens"; by way of compositorial excuse, dusk doesn't really "do" much, after all. What I wrote was an expression of part what I see, part what I feel on my daily walks across the park, "as the shadows grow long" (to quote the famed phrase of Pirandello). I hope this reaches you, my kind and gentle audiences.

Enjoy!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Hello All,

I just came accross this video of the Guitar Mandolin Orchestra Città di Brescia under the direction of Claudio Mandonico with the "Notte di Luna" by Angelo Bettinelli (1878-1953) performed in a most excellent way!

Wonderful!

Best,

Alex

Hi all,

I had completely forgotten I still had some videos of Het CONSORT to share with you. Here is one of a composition with the title 'Mistica' composed by the Italian composer Arrigio Cappelletti.
    Not much is known about Maestro Cappelletti except for the fact that he wrote some excellent and beautiful compositions for mandolin orchestra.
    This particular work is one of my personal favorites because of the polyphonic, dramatic and mysterious character it has.
    And of course the wonderful writing for all instrument groups in the orchestra. Really special.

Best,

Alex.
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Apr-26-2009 at 5:07pm.

Hi Alex,

Lovely posts. The orchestra sounds wonderful and the Cappelletti piece is beautiful. I can see why this is one of your favorites. Lovely harmony and tonality. Cheers.

Chris.....

Time to post some more videos. These are from last night's concert.

Canciello's Trio

and Les Toreadors from Carmen

More videos in our page.
    Enjoy!

This is a great topic. All the videos are amazing and quite inspiring. Keep 'em coming!

Hello All,

Perhaps you remember my announcement of some time ago about our Mandolin Chamber Orchestra giving a couple of concerts in France this month. From the concert in the Saint Nicolas Church in Bancigny we have made video shots and I thought it would be nice to share them with you here at the Mandolin Café. Especially since we also played several compositions written by our 'own' Mandolin Café composers John Craton and Victor Kioulaphides.

To start with, here are two videos (two, because I had to cut between the 2nd and 3rd movement for it is not permitted to go over the 10 minutes YouTube duration limit) with John Craton's 'Danseries Anciennes'.
    John based this dances on the 'feeling' one gets when listening to the tunes and melodies of Medieval France. In total there are five dances in this concert suite;
    Estampie, Pavane et Gaillard, Basse dance et Tourdion, Carole et Bransle gay and Piva.
    The French public, who indeed felt connected with their musical heritage, applauded the composition with great enthusiasm! And that is not strange at all, since the dances are all wonderful and especially the last, fast and cheerful 'Piva' begs for applause!

With the Danseries anciennes John Craton again proved to be a wonderful composer for mandolin orchestra! These dances are absolutely wonderful to study, play and listen too. And - also important - excellent to open a concert with!
    I am sure many orchestras around the World will take up and play John's Danseries anciennes at their concerts!

Thanks again John for composing this music for us! And to all the others here; enjoy the videos!

Danseries Anciennes by John Craton - Part I

Danseries Anciennes by John Craton - Part II

Best regards,

Alex
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Oct-16-2009 at 9:26am.

A while back, I was profoundly honored when my esteemed colleague and dear friend John Craton sent me the score and (synthesized) audio files of this piece, before even the performers would have had their first glance at it. As is well known at the Café, John is an extraordinarily (and unduly) modest gentleman. I could offer no "opinion" on the piece, other than my unreserved approbation. What more could I say? Danseries is a masterpiece, and as fine a score as anyone could ever aspire to produce for this, our beloved medium of the plucked orchestra.

My high regard for the piece has grown higher yet, now that I have heard it performed by real instruments— as played by the fine members of Het Consort, and as directed by Alex, who understands the inner workings of the plucked orchestra intimately. Both the writing for the individual instruments and the sum total effect of the orchestra are truly exemplary. All I can do is tip my hat.

My only wishful comment is that, alternatively, I would also like to hear this piece in an acoustically drier space. The score has all sorts of clever, stylish "kicks", cross-accents, hemiolas, snappy syncopations, all of which would benefit from a bit less ambient resonance. On the flip side, of course, the harmonies gel a lot better in the more "present" resonance of the lovely French chapel. Obviously, one cannot have a creamy, French sauce AND translucent vinaigrette, all at once.

My heartfelt congratulations, both to the composer and the performers of this wonderful, WONDERFUL piece!

Victor

**Blushes heartily**

Many thanks for Victor's glowing words and for Alex et al.'s marvellous performance. The real artists here are the performers who made these dances come alive and invigorated them with their artistic spirituality. I just hope this little set of ancient dances is as enjoyable to play and listen to as they were for me to write. Having long been drawn to early music, I found it both a pleasure and a challenge to meet Alex's request for something in a style dating from my youth
    John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"

Hello all,

Thanks John and Victor for your comments. It always is a great joy for us to perform your compositions!
    And Victor, I totally agree with you, a better microphone or microphone settings would certainly capture more details of John's composition. Maybe on a future concert we can realize this. But for now this is all we have.

Hopefully the sound is slightly better in the next video made during our weekend in France.
    Filmed here is Victor Kioulaphides' Broadway '97. As you perhaps know Victor composed this jazzy 'Ballad' originally on the request of Carlo Aonzo to use at his New York Mandolin Workshop 2009. There it was also premiered on March 29th this year.

Broadway '79 is, as Victor explained, "an instrumental jazz ballad, scored for two soloists in alternation, playing one "chorus" each, joining on the refrain, twice over the orchestra of first and second mandolins and mandolas, plus "walking bass" mandoloncello".
    In the performance shown here by Het CONSORT, with Sebastiaan de Grebber and Ferdinand Binnendijk as the mandolin soloists, the original instrumentation is - with permission of the composer, of course - enlarged with a guitar section and a Chitarrone moderno as the bass.

What you see is a video of Victor's Broadway '79 played by Het CONSORT during a rehearsal that was 'open' for public during the weekend of September 18th 2009 in the Saint Nicolas Church in Bancigny, France.

Enjoy
    and best regards
    from a sunny Holland .

Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Oct-18-2009 at 7:45am.

Lovely, "smokey" performance... The languor and sensuality of the harmonies seems almost indecent in a house of worship... Sebastiaan and Ferdinand do a prime job with their solos, while the orchestra supports them sensitively with a "jazz halo".

Who could ask for anything more?

Cheers to one and all,

Victor

I've recently come across some videos from a concert by Mattinata di Matteo, the Bay Area ensemble led by Sheri Mignano. These are all ballo liscio tunes, played by mandolin ensemble with guitar accompaniment plus Sheri herself on lead accordion.

Recording quality is not great, but I like the arrangements and the tunes -- pretty much the same style and material we play with our own ensemble (minus accordion). I just link a few tunes at random below; there are several more on Youtube if you search for "Mattinata di Matteo".

Martin

Hello all,

Thought it would be a nice idea to bring back this topic to life again...

Best and enjoy,

Alex

Hello All,

At Facebook our 'own' Linda Binder (thanks Linda!) informed on a very interesting video of Carlo Aonzo as the soloist, accompanied by the Orchestra a Plettro Gino Neri conducted by Stefano Squarzina, in the 3rd movement of Raffaele Calace's 2nd Mandolin Concerto (Opus 144).

I like to forward that video to you.

Enjoy!

Here's some videos of the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble recorded in 1996. Included are the late, great Charlie Derrington, Paul Zonn and Butch Baldassari:

here some video's of Greek mandolin friends in Athens. Maybe they are too humble to post them here, or they are not at cafe (yet). It is worth to share.

When you listen one, you will find 15 other video's of Attika Plucked Orchestra , with enthousiastic young people. Most of them were in the class in March with Ugo Orlandi in Athens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-h7...eature=channel

Margriet