Thread: Help with and ID on this mandolin.

Default Help with and ID on this mandolin.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/923451825.html

I just love the design on this mandolin and wonder if anyone could tell me what the make is? I tried to research it myself, but the picture is too blurry for me to make out.

Thanks for any help!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help with and ID on this mandolin.

I don't know and am not an expert, but it looks like an old Portuguese mandolin that's also missing the odd tuners, the bridge, and tailpiece. Here's a thread that shows an example for why I feel that way. At $1 its a great conversation /wall hanger piece. I have no idea where to get tuners for it.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

What this seems to be is one of the Portuguese cittern-type instruments. The label says "Camphydryl Robin" or some such, which means zilch to me. The (missing) tuning mechanism as a quite elaborate assembly of gears, hooks and thumbscrews, somewhat similar to the design of a violin fine tuner. These instruments require strings with loops at each end, since the tuning peg end has a hook to hold the string, rather than a post it wraps around.

Rather than strain my limited descriptive skills, let me post this link to a somewhat similar instrument (a "guitarra") on sale at Bernunzio's. By clicking on the fifth small picture, you can get a closeup of the tuning mechanism.

I'd pass on this, unless you know someone who can a] find and b] install this fairly complex assembly. Similar instruments are still made in Portugal, so it might be possible to import tuners that would fit it. A bit of a project, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The tuners would look like the tuners in this thread.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I seem to recall someone said a German firm still made those tuners... no idea what thread it was.