Thread: Tools at Brookstone--does the company still exist?

Default Tools at Brookstone--does the company still exist?

Twenty-five or thirty years ago, there was a small mail order company known as Brookstone in one of the New England states that sold all kinds of small hand tools, such as micro-files and other tools that would be handy in a luthier's arsenal. I have Googled it, and all I come up with is a chain store with a varied inventory, including electronics, furniture, fitness equipment, and much more, but nothing resembling the firm from years past. Does the company I dealt with back then still exist? Any information anyone might have would be appreciated.

Default Re: Tools at Brookstone--does the company still exist?

Hello,
    Most of the Brookstones today are akin to hemmiker-schelimiker type mall stores proporting to sell "the best" of each kind of consumer toy/tool/gadgets. Aside from the usual Stew-Mac etc type tool sources, I suggest you try Garrett-Wade (www.garrettwade.com/) for EVERYTHING in (beautiful) finest quality hand tools. WARNING: Hold On To Your Wallet (because you will want at least one of everything, even stuff you have no use for!). Oh, and it is well worth asking for a copy of the print catalog. You are certain to end up pouring over it for hours just like we used to with the Sears, Monkey Ward, and Herters catalogs. n$i Fare well, db
    Last edited by hdismal; Nov-07-2008 at 11:20am.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Bookstone only sells gimmicks now.
    Lee Vallley also sells wonderful, high quality tools. Link Here
    So do Lie Nielson and Veritas
    All are expensive.
    Bill

Thanks for the update on Brookstone. I suspected the company I dealt with years ago had ceased to exist in the form I remembered. Progress, I guess.?.

I bought a bunch of kind of esoteric stuff from Brookstone a long time ago. I think they had a store in downtown Boston. It did devolve into a mass-production outlet store, I guess.