Thread: Any reviews or info on Jethro Burns signature M6SW Washburn?

Default Any reviews or info on Jethro Burns signature M6SW Washburn?

I'm still a relative newbie and I've been looking really hard at purchasing a Washburn M6SW to upgrade from the cheap A-style that I started out with. The M6SW looks to be a beautiful mando for the money, and I'm curious to know if anyone has any unbiased opinions on the quality or reputation of this piece. I'm really interested to know if the aesthetics might be masking lackluster quality/durability elsewhere.

Please let me know if you have any opinions for the M6SW, or perhaps a recommendation for a quality F-style withing the $ 800-1,200 range.

Default Re: Any reviews or info on Jethro Burns signature M6SW Washburn?

The ones I played were decent. Honestly nothing to brag about. I have a Rover RM-75 that I bought as a backup to my Gibson A-5G (Carlson signed) that sounds better than any Chinese built mandolin I have played. As other people are going to tell you, an American built A-5 mandolin in that price range will be more bang for your buck.

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

I owned one and upgraded to a Collings MT A style. BIG difference, BTW. A used Gibson A9 is in that range as gibson mandoman stated. I liked my M6SW at the time, but don't confuse looks with tone and playability. That scroll is an expensive strap hanger!

Doug
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

I bought a JB used in almost new condition. It came with a whole bunch of books, cd's DVD's, picks, etc. It played pretty good, stayed in tune, and didn't sound bad. I sold it for what I paid plus I kept all the instructional stuff so it was an excellent deal. I think they are pretty decent and probably about like most other pac rim stuff....just don't pay the new price.

tried to edit but I was too late...I wouldn't pay any more than about 450-500 tops for a like new JB washburn....too many other choices for any more money....FWIW

There was a Japanese made Kentucky F5 style at the Mandolin Store. Had a price of about $750.Good chance it's a pretty decent instrument.

<Please let me know if you have any opinions for the M6SW, or perhaps a recommendation for a quality F-style withing the $ 800-1,200 range.>

There's actually quite a bit available in that price range..................Kentucky/Eastman/Jade/Gibson A9.

If you can find a nice Gibson A9 or an older, Japanese-built Kentucky, I'd buy either one over the Washburn. I've only played one Jade, but it was quite a good-sounding and nicely made mandolin. Also, if you have $1200, you're not that far away from a Collings MT, which is always a good choice.