Thread: IBMA what stoked my MAS

Default IBMA what stoked my MAS

There were 2 instruments that stroked my MAS while at IBMA. There were many more that were excellent, but these were really fine. First, was a recent Kimble F5 that Will let me test drive. It had all three, great looks, great playability and great tone. My, my. The second, was a Brentrup Fern H-5 mandola that Hans let me test drive. All of the qualities of the Kimble, but being a 5th lower was a different playing experience. Both were really fun to play and really knocked my socks off. But having just bought a wonderful Ellis, these test drives were just for fun.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Default Re: IBMA what stoked my MAS

Would like to know what instruments other Cafe folks got stoked about while at IBMA.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

That's the problem with going to festivals like IBMA and Wintergrass - too many nice.

I am now making a point of trying to avoid Fletcher Brock's table!

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

I didn't play the mandolin that Will had, but he borrowed one of his H-5s from its owner so that I could play it, and it was fantastic (as are all of his instruments that I've played). I also agree that the Brentrup H-5 was great, I played it for a long time. The mandolins Hans has there are great as well. And I really liked all five of the mandolins that Fletcher Brock had with him--all had Engelmann tops and they were remarkably consistent in tone and quality. There was an Altman F5 that I liked at the Elderly booth. I didn't care for the Loar that Elderly had.

Did ya play the new V-6 that Brentrup made? That's the coolest looking mando around! I wish I had a 20 G's or so laying around to splurge on all this killer stuff I keep seeing here!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Quote Originally Posted by mandolooter View Post
    Did ya play the new V-6 that Brentrup made? That's the coolest looking mando around! I wish I had a 20 G's or so laying around to splurge on all this killer stuff I keep seeing here!
    i did
    lots
    i'm getting one

the pictures already had me in lust
    and to my extremely pleased ears
    the sound perfectly complements the looks
    btw
    they're under half that 20 G figure

that Loar paled in comparison to a number of other mandolins present
    musta' been the Virzi

I believe the Loars were all on the 2nd floor of the hotel. I counted some 8 on Thursday. And weren't nothing wrong with them Loars. Loud and cutting.
    Bouncing off the walls and peeling wallpaper. I heard some mighty fine Monroe songs too on Thursday from those Loars. Ellis had a really nice new example of his fine work. Absoulte perfect with really fancy grain maple. Very nice inlay work in the head. I didn't ask the price but I know it was over $10,000. Didn't get a chance to see what Gibson put out there.

There were a LOT of very nice mandolins this year. Everything Tom Ellis had was exceptional, as was Hans stable. Mr. Grady had a few very nice mandolins as well. Tony Williamson showed me a June 23 Loar that was as clean as you could get, and man, was it a killer! Great tone and beautiful!!!

The Sumi's were great as expected, and for the price, the Loar mandolins blew me away...especially the prototype 700 series. The Loar mandolins are all hand carved and nitro cellulose finish for under 1K. That includes case. Great mandolin for the money.

Still, just about anything Will, Hans, or Tom Ellis produces could certainly turn me green with envy .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Still, just about anything Will, Hans, or Tom Ellis produces could certainly turn me green with envy .

the Loar mandolins blew me away...especially the prototype 700 series.

Wow...a 700 prototype already! Any details?
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

The 700 is a carved top and back with nitro cellulose lacquer. It has a Fern headstock. The only other difference from the 600 (flowerpot) is the 700 has not tone bars or x braces. The top is quite stable, but it certainly vibrates well. It was louder and more vibrant.

I understand they are coming out with a varnish model next year. The 700 was a prototype. The production models are not here yet. They should be quite soon. Great mandolin for the price point!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

BIg Joe,
    The700 doesn't have tone bars nor xbraces? What does it have?
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Great tone and volume. The removal of tone bars does not hurt this mandolin in any way. In a mandolin the main purpose of "braces" is to shape tone more than structural stability. Unless the recurve is bad or the top too thin braces are not there for strength, but for tone shaping. By removing the braces, they give the top the ability to move a bit more freely and increase volume. Those who played this mandolin were blown away. I was pretty surprised when I discovered it had not braces. When you get an opportunity to try one, it will surprise you.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Tony Williamson showed me a June 23 Loar that was as clean as you could get, and man, was it a killer! Great tone and beautiful!!!
    Joe,

Did you catch the serial # on this one?

I agree with Joe that "The Loar" 700 is a total killer. It was so great that I wanted to walk off with it. Thanks Joe for grabbing me and putting it in my hands. I appreciate you showing it to me, but my wife would like a word with you.

Jeremy