Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chord Chart/Circle of 5ths.

Default Re: Chord Chart/Circle of 5ths.

Brad,

I know you've only put up a few posts on the site, but they are really helpful, well-written and clear. Thanks for what you do, and please continue to educate.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

Blog Entries

An old thread - but despite having perfect pitch this is very interesting.

Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle ( sharpen the F, then the F and the C then the FC and G....)

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles Father ( flatten the B, then the B and the E, then the B E and A...)

5. The following members say thank you to Werner Jaekel for this post:

Blog Entries

I have noticed this to be an old thread - though worth it's weight in gold. Despite my perfect pitch the circle of fifths and the explantions given makes such good sense. When I learned music theory for grade one violin my teacher made me sing certain Afrikaans folk songs, these begun on fifths. she made sure that I understood things like triads, etc. So between the rhym about Frank, the explanation given and the circle of fifths it is a path to understanding. Jeff agree, the system, once learnt and understood contributes to the richness of music, the textures brought by chords and different combinations of these.

Thumbs up Re: Chord Chart/Circle of 5ths.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Kozak View Post
    Here's my (first) contribution to music theory on this forum.

A lot of players I've met are unfamiliar with key signatures, and don't know much about the value of the Circle of 5ths. Attached are two PDFs - the first one is a chord chart, the second PDF has additional chords along with a fretboard chart, a Circle of 5ths, and a list of key signatures.

Here's what's cool about the circle of 5ths...if you can tell time with an analog clock, you already know more than you think about music theory. Memorize the key signature names on the circle. They are arranged so that the fifth note of any key is the root (or first note) of the next key moving clockwise. The keys on the outside of the circle are "sharp" keys, those on the inside are "flat keys." If "C" is at the "zero" hour (no sharps/no flats), G is a one o'clock (and has 1 sharp in it's scale/key signature), D has 2, A has 3 and so forth. The flat keys work counter-clockwise - F has one flat, Bb has two, Eb has three, and so on.

Here's something else that's cool...did you know that (when you arrange scales in order of the Circle of 5ths, that the last four notes of ANY major scale are the same as the first four notes of the next scale? These four-note patterns are called "tetrachords" (Greek: "tetra"=four, "chord"=note).

And something really useful - Look at the circle. Pick any letter...it will represent the key you want to use for your song. The selection that is counter-clockwise one space is the IV chord, and the one that is immediately clockwise is the V chord. This is HUGELY useful when transposing from one key to another. Let's say you've got a song you know in the key of "A" - look at the circle. A I-IV-V-I progression would be A-D-E-A. Wanna transpose? Pick a new key...let's take something a little off the wall, like Bb. According to the Circle, Your new chord progression would be Bb-Eb-F-Bb.

Relative minors to a major key are always three notches up on the circle. In other words, the relative minor to the key of C is the key of A minor...three spaces clockwise on the circle.

Here's a useful bit of knowledge for you when your chart has a diminished 7th chord in it: did you know there are only three different diminished 7th chords, period? If you look at a piano keyboard, start at any note, count up three half-steps (or on a string, go up three frets). Do that three times, and you have the notes in a diminished 7th chord. Do it once more, and you're back to an octave above where you started. The notes in a dim 7th chord divide a 12-tone scale into four equi-distant intervals. 12/4 = 3. The only difference in a C°7, an Eb°7, a Gb°7 and an A°7th is the root - the note on the bottom of the chord. (Don't know which chord to play? As long as you finger it right, you have a one-in-three shot at getting the right Dim7th chord.)

If this info is helpful to anybody, let me know.

- Brad Kozak
    Thanks ,Brad

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Well, Brad hasn't posted since 2009, but I'm sure he's happy that this helped.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    I used to sell a Micro-Fibre cloth with the Circle of Fifths on it but it never really took off. It was handy to drape over the case while practicing scales, and of course, clean the instrument after practice. Wonder if any would be interested if I resurrected it?
    I'm sure this is a stupid question ... but why is the order of your circle of fifths (going clockwise) C, F, Bb, Eb ... rather than C, G, D, A ... which is what I usually see?
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

I'd love to get one of those cloths. Strange though, I've never seen the cycle printed with the sharp keys on the left and the flats on the right. In that direction, its the cycle of forths! Anyway you look at it, its one of the mysterious wonders of music theory that never stops to be fascinating. Thanks for the thread.
    RB - (Wolfman Bob)
    Lawrence Smart - 2 Point
    Flatiron - F5 - Artist
    Gibson - F12
    Gibson - A-50
    Flatiron - Pancake
    Fender FM 60 E

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    I used to sell a Micro-Fibre cloth with the Circle of Fifths on it but it never really took off. It was handy to drape over the case while practicing scales, and of course, clean the instrument after practice. Wonder if any would be interested if I resurrected it?

I know I would. I need all the help I can get.