Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Mando bass

Default Re: Mando bass

Ottawa Folklore Centre. Sadly not listed on their website. http://www.ottawafolklore.com/

I went to my music store today to get some things (ordered a rack mount mixer and a tenor banjo... yup I am one of those guys now too LOL).. I decided to walk around and in the acoustic room there was both a gold tone and kala bass... I played both and they sound damned good. I prefer the gold tone just due to the scale feeling better (it is a little longer and more fret spacing) and having a cutaway. Very impressed. I think I am going to add one to the collection down the road..
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Here's one on Long Island for $15K:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-Gibson-...3D171626739551

It is estimated that just 200 of these instruments have ever been made. As a result of Gibson not providing a hard shell case and the Mandolin becoming less popular amongst musicians as time went on, these very large Bass instruments were mostly thrown out or badly damaged over the years leaving just a handful left in a condition such as this. Some notably famous guitar players such as Eddie Van Halen are known to actively collect these incredibly unusual, yet incredible sounding instruments as it is the very first fretted Bass instrument made.
    Choke sputter snort ... believe the hype if you want to.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

There's one born every minute!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett