Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mando bass

Default Re: Mando bass

It's not really a mandobass--I forget what Regal called these. They ARE cool, but they are used more like upright basses and they sound better than most mandobasses. I don't think that is the original bridge, though...they usually had a flat bridge like a guitar; I imagine the front has sunken in.
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Burgh, tell us more about that rhinoceros toenail you're using for a pick.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

violmando: It's not really a mandobass--I forget what Regal called these. They ARE cool, but they are used more like upright basses and they sound better than most mandobasses. I don't think that is the original bridge, though...they usually had a flat bridge like a guitar; I imagine the front has sunken in.
    You may well be right -- as to top sinkage I did not notice any -- it there is any its rather slight. I "thumbed" it a bit -- the lower and high strings are not too impressive but the the middle two strings put out an impressive volume of "bass sound".

I looked pretty close and I'm our the opinion that at one time that fretboard had frets. There were clearly channels cut for frets and they are now filled in with what looks to be wood filler which was sanded smooth.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Yep, I think you're right--those Regals DO have frets. The fellow who runs the guitar/jewelery store here in YS, Rita Caz, has one of those and when I saw one of eBay for around $2K awhile back, he said that's about the most they are worth, so I think this guy is still high for his. It is NOT a mandobass, I just can't remember what Regal called them. They are later than the mandobasses and aren't as highly collectable. Still cool, though. I have a tamburitzan bass that is VERY similar in design, but I didn't pay that much for it, either. It is also fretted. Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Blog Entries

violmando: so I think this guy is still high for his.
    Yes I think those Guitar Centers as always too high on their vintage instruments -- but they do deal -- and they will also trade vintage instruments which is kind of intersting.

For example the Cincinnati store also has a 1913 black-faced F2 --with original top finish, Handel tuners, one-piece bridge and even the original pick guard and with clamp in decent shape.

But the rest of the mando is not so good - a number of BIG (deep) chips and gouges, the back has obviously been oversprayed and both the small AND large curls on the headstock are broken off and missing. This is a seriously mistreated instrument.

The GC still wants over $4K for it -- if it was an F-4 that would be high for that kind of beat up shape. I played it however a bit and it still sounds dandy.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Right--My main pick is a hospital grade plastic 2.25 x 3 in with a small indentation for my middle finger to help grip the top. The pick of choice used to be a piece of leather. I've made several leather picks but they just don't feel right yet. The plastic is about 3/16 in thick and tapered where it strikes the strings.

Regal called it the "Basso-Guitar". It's interesting..Gibson and Lyon & Healy were obviously targeting Mandolin Orchestras with the Mandobass ( L & H called theirs a Bass Mando ), but I wonder what market Regal saw for the Basso-guitar when they advertised them in the mid 30's ?.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff mercer View Post
    I wonder what market Regal saw for the Basso-guitar when they advertised them in the mid 30's ?.
    Probably the same market Dan Aykroyd saw for the Basso-Matic.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I highly doubt that that Regal was fretless. After all the reason for a mandobass was to make it easier than a std upright. Some bass player just felt better habving it fretless.

Church basses were sort of folk cellos and were mostly used in New England in the 19th century. They were more like folks instruments. I remember at one of the New York Christie's auctions there were a number of church basses from a collector for sale and they looked like cartoon versions of cellos. More info here:
    http://www.easthamptonviolin.com/eas...lin/early.html

I attached a photo.

Also, I found a photo of me playing my Gibson in 1984. It is long gone due to too many repairs needed after the back split in the New York apartment dryness. That bridge is not original and was actually compensated with ebony strips. It was also missing the armrest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bass.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	37433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jg_mandobass_84.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	37434  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I've seen several photos of Filipino stringbands (perhaps adapted from Rondalla groups) using bass-like instruments like that Regal. Some of them are equipped with spikes and appear to be played upright-style. Maybe the market for them was driven by the bandurria family instead of the mando?

The former bass player in the New York Mandolin Orchestra actually used a contrabass balalaika -- he said he tried the Gibson mandobass but it never quite gave him the volume. He used a square piece of shoe leather for a pick and got serious volume from that one instrument. He was quite the player, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgh View Post

Right--My main pick is a hospital grade plastic 2.25 x 3 in with a small indentation for my middle finger to help grip the top. The pick of choice used to be a piece of leather. I've made several leather picks but they just don't feel right yet. The plastic is about 3/16 in thick and tapered where it strikes the strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Now that I see a couple more, maybe the bridge of mine was original. Here are two more.

Name:	mandobasses.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	37445  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I bought a bass berde(tamburitza bass) for the same reason--it uses a leather pick--but it is TOO heavy to carry around alot. Someday I'll get around to coming up with some kind of cart for it. My contrabass domra hasn't arrived yet, so I have NO idea what kind of sound it's going to have; I don't think they are as loud as the contrabass balalaikas, though. Neither are real easy to come across! Nor for me to store--we already have the berde and 2 basses (a 20's Pfretschner and a 40's King) hanging around in our corners! The berde and the domra do have frets, tho'. Yvonne

Tamara Volskaya's Russian Carnival group uses a contrabass balalaika.

Name:	gen_390.1.gif 
Views:	241 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	37447  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim,
    Mandobasses & vintage (baritone) ukuleles !

Man, that's MY kinda music store !
    Where did you find that photo ?

I found the photo here. The instruments are at the Guitar and Amp Center in Harrisonburg, VA. These might be in the Museum section. I have never been there, but might if I am ever down that way.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hey, I just ran into a mandobass on eBay made in the '30's in PA by a luthier named Oscar Bowser. Anyone familiar with these? No, I don't have the money to buy it, but it looks quite similar to the Gibsons in design (unlike alot of other "off brands") and I just wondered if anyone had ever played one.
    It's in an eBay store right now--sorry I didn't capture the page, but here's the picture. I save alot of bass pics for my screen saver! Yes, if I won the lottery.....I'd have to build a MUCH bigger house!!!! Yvonne

Name:	Bowser mandobass.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	37611  

The *look* is similar to Gibson but it is a flat top and back. Here is the eBay auction.

Probably a one-off by a decent homespun luthier. Here is what it says on the posting:
    Unsigned but guaranteed an original mando-bass made in the 1930's in York Pa made by custom builder/luthier Oscar Bowser. He didn't make many in this form--most were an octaganol like bottom. This one was purchased directly from Oscar in the 1960's.
    I would love to see an octagonal one.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Found a Gibson Mando Bass (15394) for sale at Hollowood Music in McKees Rocks, PA. The back needs to be glued and it's missing one turn key. They would not give a price.

Not so easy to find a tuning key for one of these. Maybe a bass tuner would work, possibly. Why would they list it but not give you a price? Sorts strange, unless they don't want to sell or don't know what it is worth and are now scurrying around to find out the book value.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

It's not really listed anywhere, just sitting in their store. I think that it's been there for quite some time and because of the extensive repair work needed, they don't know what it is worth.

Sounds like the perfect "make an offer" situation.

I stopped into Freedom Guitar in San Diego to look at their Mandobass today. It is boxed up and in the back. They wouldn't get it out to view or play. They wouldn't even give quote me a list price. They did show me some very out of bad out of focus Pics. The top appeared to be brown, but it was very hard to tell with all the smoke damage and melted varnish drops all over the top.

Thats right it had been in a fire. When I asked about the finish issues I was told it had been left leaned up against a fireplace or something. This thing would need a complete refinish which of course would destroy most of the collector value.

They gave me the impression that they really did not want to sell this instrument at all. By the way, it seemed that all their old oddball mandos were way over priced. Kel Kroyden, Hauser etc... They even had a Washburn bowl back with a broken rib (not at the joint, cross the rib!) and badly repaired listed at $399. Dude it was just a wall hanger!!!
    Last edited by toddjoles; Jan-23-2009 at 1:27pm. Reason: I'm an IDJIT!
    Todd Joles, handyman and aspiring luthier!

San Diego's own Rock Bottom Bluegrass!

Traditional music played without talent!

The greatest band you've never heard!

You would think if they wanted to keep it as a "mascot" that they would at least display it. Did you ask them how much? Do you want it?

Get a wad of cash of what you want to pay and go in and say, here, gimme. They go for around $4K or so and for one that is in fair condition I would at least half that or more.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I did ask about the price, but the guy said he it wasn't listed. I donly personally have a need for this and the San Diego mandolin orchestra allready has one in great condition. If one in good condition is worth 4K what would would a smoke damaged one with melted globs of varnish Al over the top be worth? How much to refinish? How much loss in vintage/collectors value for the damage and refinish?
    Todd Joles, handyman and aspiring luthier!

San Diego's own Rock Bottom Bluegrass!

Traditional music played without talent!

The greatest band you've never heard!