Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mando bass

Default Re: Mando bass

The logical fifths tuning is CGDA, an octave below mandocello. There are a few pro bassists who tune this way: the late American jazz bassist Red Mitchell and classical soloist Joel Quarrington, for example. You might need a slightly lighter top string and a heavier bottom string; the other two strings could probably stay the same.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I wouldn't do that to one of those vintage instruments, tho'--they weren't made for that and it might be too much stress. Someone should start making copies to be tuned that way, altho' most upright bassists wouldn't want to play them....They'd have to have a shorter string length for your hand to be able to make the stretches needed for the notes. Just make it about the size of a 1/2 size bass but with a DEEP body....Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

But you could calculate the tensions from a standard set of mandobass strings, then calculate what gauges you would need for the new tuning in order to keep those tensions constant. And in a perfect world, strings would be available in those gauges.

In CGDA tuning, only the high string is tuned higher (G to A). The D string remains the same and the other two strings are tuned lower. So, at least theoretically, fifths tuning needn't add tension at all. It might even reduce the overall amount of tension!

The fact that the mandobass is fretted would help with some of the shifting/fingering issues. You should read Quarrington's essay on fifths tuning (linked above) ... according to him, it does require re-learning one's approach to the instrument, but once one has done that, the fingering issues aren't any more problematic than with standard tuning.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I just noticed that the 1916 Mandobass listed at Marc Silber music for $8000 is on hold.

Phil

Yeah, the bass from Silber will be on its way to a friend of mine shortly. Not sure how much I'm allowed to say, but I should have the opportunity to play that bass soon.

Blog Entries

FYI Mandobassists --

I noticed this Sunday that the mandobass at the Cincinnati Guitar Center has dropped down to around $3400.

I meant to check out the manufacturer but get too excited about a gold plated Weyman tenor banjo from the '30's and forgot to look.

It was made by a now extinct American company -- common name. Might be able to find it on-line the the GC inventory.

(Yvonne if you are think about checking it out its moved now from Forest Fair mall to over near the Tri-County Costco.)
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I understand that the logical tuning is CGDA. Can a mando bass be tuned like an upright bass?

Juan

I wonder how a mando bass would compare in sound with a 1/2 size bass?

Juan

Quote Originally Posted by truckplayer View Post
    I understand that the logical tuning is CGDA. Can a mando bass be tuned like an upright bass?
    Not only can it be tuned like an upright bass, that is its normal standard tuning. Very few, if any, mandobasses were tuned CGDA.

Martin

Yeah, I was discussing fifths tuning only theoretically. I don't know any mandobass player who actually uses it.

I'm curious about this Cincinnati mandobass. Not many companies other than Gibson made them. Is it a Vega? Lyon & Healy? Meyer?

You can go for it. I'm out of work and don't have the money for one right now. I wish I did, though...Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Burgh, your lips are moving but I can't hear a word. Or is it just me?

Ah, here is what Burgh's been trying to say:

So is it for sale?

Burgh,

What's it like playing a mandobass? How does it compare to playing an upright?

Juan

Thanks Mrmando. I was having trouble posting the photo. It's not for sale, was given to me by my grandfather. I'm having fun learning how to play it with the Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra. Noted orchestra conductor, Mr. Charlie Rappaport, is on the left of the photo. I'm also working on a sound bite for bluesman. Merry Christmas all.

wannabe mandolin wizzard bluesmandolinman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burgh View Post
    I'm also working on a sound bite for bluesman. Merry Christmas all.
    Thanks again for your kindness. If possible I would apreciate to hear also 1 soundfile with only the mandobass without other instruments so that I can listen better to the bass without ignoring the other instruments.

btw I really dig that brownface mandobass you have there. I like it better than the black ones ( which I think is much more common )

NO NO ..... I am not jealous
    Carl Martin - Everyday I have the Blues

My gear : 1927 A0/Ajr , JM-11 , Fender 346 white XH

Blog Entries

mrmando:I'm curious about this Cincinnati mandobass. Not many companies other than Gibson made them. Is it a Vega? Lyon & Healy? Meyer?
    Sorry I did not see your question. I will be in that part of town today and will check it out if I can get through the shopping traffic! I will PM you as well.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Bernie, I'd like to know the make too--just for my own curiosity. You can email me at home if you'd rather. But I know it's still icy here in Yellow Springs, so be careful, Yvonne

Years ago, a band I was in at the time played McCabe's in LA. The dressing room they put us in also seemed to be their mandobass storage room, and there were two in there. I have a photo somewhere of the fiddle player and I throwing down on a heavy-metal mandobass duet. They didn't sound like much, but it was fun.
    too many strings

Blog Entries

I took a closer look at the mandobass in the Guitar Center in Cincinnati today. It is a 1932 Regal and it is fretless (are all mandobasses so?). This one is in decent shape. It looks to me like it might have had frets once but that they were removed and filled in? Not sure about that.

Here are some pics of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2142.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	37007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2148.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	37008  
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

More pics -- it was pretty dark in there!

Name:	100_2143.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	37009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2144.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	37010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2145.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	37011  

Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

Two more!

Oh BTW they are asking $3450 for it but for sure they will deal on that.

There you have it.

Name:	100_2147.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	37012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2149.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	37013  
    Bernie
    ____

A standard mandobass, if there is any such thing, has frets. This Regal looks like what's sometimes called a "church bass." There's no way I'd pay what they're asking, but that's just me.