Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mando bass

Default Re: Mando bass

WOW! That's really a beauty; most of the pics I've seen the finish hasn't been nearly so pretty. Any details, like year, of your baby? Did you get it in that condition or have to do alot of work on it? As a double bassist, I'd love to have one. My husband and I already own 2 upright basses and a tamburitzan bass between us, so we DON' T need it, but the fact that they are hard to find and often overpriced for their condition is going to keep me from getting one anyway....It would be neat for the DMO to have one, though.
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Goaty76, I assume your "J" has been refinished? I've only seen them in black, "pumpkin," and a somewhat lighter-than-pumpkin shade...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Yeah, it's a great piece. It's a 1918. It's in the condition I got it in. It has some body cracks, some worse than others but all together not that bad shape. The finish is original but does look a bit darker in person. I believe the only thing not original on it are the two extending end pieces (one on the bottom for playing upright and one on the side for playing more like a guitar). They are replacements.

Phil

That is Tut Taylors own sign work on that mandobass. I remember seeing it years and years ago at Tuts...probably GTR
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

I saw a mandobass played in a polka band on Rick Steves Europe. Couldn't hear the thing though, the accordion and the yodeling was too loud.

To Goaty 76

Since both mando basses were in Pickers and you checked them out, how they compare? (Sound? Projection?, etc).

What was the deciding factor in buying the Gibson? What do you think of the Kalamazoo?

Truckplayer

Truckplayer,

To tell you truth I didn't check out the Kalamazoo bass that closely. I went with the Gibson because that is what I was in the market for. "The Gibson" name was the selling point on that one. As far as sound, projection, playabilty.......not the best on these models. They are fun in their own way but I don't think I would want to play a concert with one ( I'm not a bass player so I don't think I will ever have to face that problem). I got it to add to a collection of Gibsons and it does look cool in my living room. If money were not an issue I would love have the Kalamazoo mandobass also, but there are many other items I see myself getting first before a second mandobass.

Phil

Phil,

I thought of getting a mando bass, not for its playability but to have one. I love bass type instruments (I'm an upright bass player). I think it's cool looking and interesting conversation piece. Maybe it would be fun to try playing it.

Great choice in going with the Gibson!

Truckplayer (Juan)

I know I have seen mandobasses made by Gibson, also in the Kalamzoo label, and a few rare ones by Lyon & Healy and Vega, altho' I forget which mando orchs own them. What other companies in the PAST made them? Any pictures of other vintage mandobasses besides Gibsons? I know if I'm lucky enough to get one, it will be a Gibson or Kalamazoo, but I'd like to know what else was out there...
    another upright bassist, Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

I just wanted to add that I think the Kalamazoo is a much rarer instrument than the Gibson Mandobass. It's only the second or third one I have seen. It was probably produced in much lower numbers as it was made well after the mandolin craze of earlier years. However, lower production numbers doesn't always mean greater value. The saying is "It's all about supply and demand". I disagree. I think "It's all about demand....period"

Phil

Here's a picture of the Kalamazoo that started this thread, from the store's site. I'm sure that they ARE much rarer than the Gibsons.

It's interesting just for being an f-hole instrument, and I wonder if it's braced like a traditional bass. Does anyone have a photo of the headstock of this, or another Kazoo? I'd like to see the whole instrument, but don't want to put the store to any trouble.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1930_s_kalamazoo_mandobass.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	36319  
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    Here's a picture of the Kalamazoo that started this thread, from the store's site. I'm sure that they ARE much rarer than the Gibsons.

It's interesting just for being an f-hole instrument, and I wonder if it's braced like a traditional bass. Does anyone have a photo of the headstock of this, or another Kazoo? I'd like to see the whole instrument, but don't want to put the store to any trouble.
    Brad check out http://www.pickerssupply.com/BASSES/BASS PAGE.html it has photos of the headstock (front and back). Just move the cursor to the front photo and you'll see the back.
    Marc B.

If I had the money, I might go for it, pretty cool looking, even if it isn't as old as the Gibsons....Yvonne

Thanks Marc.

'Elegant' is not the word that comes to mind when looking at those f-holes. But, it's kind of cute in a homely sort of Kalamazoo way. And it's reminder of the thousands of early 20th c. orchestras and ensembles that are responsible for most of the vintage mandolins that we get to play with today.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

As far as soundclips/videos of a mandobass are concerned, check out Hillary James (Simon Mayor's wife). She plays mandobass in a duo with Simon and in their small mando ensemble, the Mandolinquets.

Here is a Youtube clip, complete with mandobass.

Martin

That mandobass is a modern one that sounds MUCH better than the old ones--NO COMPARISON, folks! And actually, for the money, it would be a better buy, but I believe the maker is in the UK--anyone remember? I had a link on my old pc.....Yvonne

Hillary James' mandobass was made by Robin Greenwood. There's a photo on Simon Mayor's website and a couple more on the builder's website

Patrick

Freedom Guitar in San Diego have/ had a Gibson Mandobass listed in the latest Vintage Guitar Magazine..for $9950 !!! Looked up their site ( FREEDOMGUITAR.COM ) but couldn't find a photo, nor a listing or description
    ...God forbid it actually SOLD for that price ?

Close to $10,000 for a mando bass? That would be crazy!

truckplayer

Someone just dug a 1913 mandobass out of an attic and sold it for $6.5K on eBay in less than 24 hrs, so hey.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

What's with this after-market addition to that mandobass? Is this something that is done to bass fiddles? To protect the bridge? or to rest the player's hand?

picture:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mbass.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	36685  
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Someone just dug a 1913 mandobass out of an attic and sold it for $6.5K on eBay in less than 24 hrs, so hey.
    From what I've read and heard, these (relatively) high prices are more attributable to the rarity and the "curb appeal" of these giant mandos, than to their musical or acoustical qualities.

I'd love to have one, but I'd probably play it infrequently.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    What's with this after-market addition to that mandobass? Is this something that is done to bass fiddles? To protect the bridge? or to rest the player's hand?
    Not after-market. That is indeed an arm rest. It's original to the instrument, but you hardly ever see a Gibson mandobass that still has one.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Sound wise, most double basses beat out most mandobasses ANY day; it is the rarity, collectability and that unique look that makes the price of Gibson and other VINTAGE mandobasses so high. It would be neat to have one, but in these tough times, I can't see paying that much for one. I wonder if the eBay one was the one that was offered to me for $6K? I just don't have that much money for something that I can't eat or live on right now. Too bad, but that's how it is. Sad, huh?
    I do have a contrabass domra coming, but it was under $1K and it's coming with a bass domra as well. Priorities! Yvonne

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

I want to see someone figure out how to tune one in fifths, then get D'Adario or Martin to make strings for it.
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock