Page 65 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1540616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 2155

Thread: What's your new fiddle tune?

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

They newby group is working on "Over the Waterfall" as the August tune of the month... Really liking that one!!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    Not exactly a fiddle tune but I'm trying to learn Rebecca by Herschel.
    I got guff for calling it a fiddle tune this weekend. I'll never do that again!

Getting reacquainted with an album called "Instrumental Bluegrass - Mandolin," which has selections by Thile, Bibey, Steffey and others. So many good tunes on that recording, I don't know where to start.

Durang's Hornpipe? Bittersweet Reel? Stumptowne?

Ahdunno.

https://www.amazon.com/Instrumental-.../dp/B0090H0Z8Q

Having some fun tonight learning a Joe Thrift fiddle tune "Whiteface". A great Em tune.
    Played on my 1922 F2... There might be a couple of light beeps from my phone during the recording ... oops sorry bout that.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

I'm on "Jenny Lind Polka"--from the 1840s, but there is an historic recording from the 1930s on the Library of Congress website:

https://www.loc.gov/item/afccc.a4222b2/

This version only has two parts, but I've found written music for up to 4 parts in various keys. Some of the transcribed versions have obvious errors, so I'm going to mix and match what I've found on the web to come up with 4 part tune with a couple of key changes for mandolin.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

5. The following members say thank you to Jack Roberts for this post:

Just returned from the Centralia WA Old Time campout where my eyes were opened to a new and vast library of old time tunes. Some of the tunes I'm just starting to learn to play properly on mandolin (with my wife on banjo) include Road to Malvern, Free State Hornpipe, Maggots in the Sheep hide, New Five Cents, Cowhide Boots, and Moon Behind the Hills.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    Just returned from the Centralia WA Old Time campout where my eyes were opened to a new and vast library of old time tunes..
    That looks like a really fun festival.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

It's a great festival. Basically, 300 accomplished players from all over the country. No stage except to accommodate the nightly contra and/or square dances...just a lot of young to old players wandering around the large improvised campground on the Skookumchuck River, asking to join the ongoing jams in session. Most of the music was old time, and I especially liked playing the weirdest modes (E9 anyone?) and time signatures that reminded me of Frank Zappa. What were those old time fiddlers drinking, anyway? I also played some Texas Swing with a singer wearing a big cowboy hat, also Celtic tunes of every possible flavor (jig, reel, strathspey, hornpipe, waltz) , and one morning I got to stretch out playing bass lines on mandolin for a small group playing gypsy jazz.

The jams ran the spectrum. Some were private affairs, often unison duets with a fiddler and banjo closely facing one another. Other sessions were so obviously open and yet so sublimley balanced that they turned into veritable orchestras with 10 or more fiddles, 10 banjos, several guitars...but never with more than just a few mandolins. When so many open-tuned fiddlers get that old time pulse going on a breakdown, the sensation reminded me more of European trance music than anything I've ever played at a contra dance.

I quickly learned that some of the purists really don't want to play with mandolins, unless the player adhered precisely to three note chords strummed on the beat. I was also surprised to notice that besides the many many accomplished fiddlers, banjo players and guitar players on hand, there were relatively few devoted mandolin players, unless you count all the fiddlers who brought mandolins along, but never cracked the case. Half of the people lugging mandolins were beginners who, notably, struggled to cross-pick accurately at speed. It was a friendly event, and these beginners were mostly welcome wherever mandolins were welcome.

One memorable night I played for many hours with a fantastic banjo player, 2 master fiddlers with bottomless repertoires, a guitar player who focused entirely on walking lines, and another mandolin player who picked a 1984 Gibson A with F holes. While he favored a double-time jingle-jangle technique based on 3 and 4 note chord inversions, I stayed true to single line and double-stop accompaniment. Everything that night was played in A major, and truly, I mean 30 or more tunes in a row. Yet I haven't explored so many different modes since I got hooked on Indian ragas back in the 1970s.

Of the mandolins themselves, the majority were various Gibson teen A styles, with a lesser smattering of teen F4s and F2s. There was one guy who carried around 4 Gibson A's, each pre-tuned to a different mode.

I met only two other people playing hand-made mandolins besides myself. One was a guy with a gorgeous F5 made by Will Kimble, the other had an instrument by Paul Lestock from Oregon.

I brought my (new to me) Bob Altman two point, and I was elated to discover that its bubbly dry tone cut through any jam, no matter the size, the instrumentation, or the volume. The instrument's sweet spot always let me be heard while playing at normal volume.
    Last edited by Jim Nollman; Aug-22-2016 at 5:55pm.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Fur Trader's Reel, as recorded by (Canadian) Reg Bouvette. You can find it on iTunes and there's a version on YouTube also. Nice chords, getting to an F chord by two different routes!
    A part: G F G D/G
    B part: Bb F Bb F7 Bb

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reiner View Post
    Fur Trader's Reel, as recorded by (Canadian) Reg Bouvette. You can find it on iTunes and there's a version on YouTube also. Nice chords, getting to an F chord by two different routes!
    A part: G F G D/G
    B part: Bb F Bb F7 Bb

Dave
    Hey, that's a cool one.

And, wow, nice collection of instruments.

With my newly acquired knowledge about accentuating the unique push of old time, I seem to find myself focused on learning a few tunes by ear that are a bit more difficult than my usual.

Rocky Pallet is a beautiful tune and I recommend it highly to anyone ready for a fingering challenge. The B part has taken some extra listening because it fluctuates into 3 different directions as it develops. Translating the lines from the usual fiddle to the unusual mandolin is a lot of fun because, really, how do you best translate an old time fiddles rolling pulse into single lines built on dry and woody notes? I'm not sure I'll ever be able to play it at dance speed.

Just as challenging is Pete's High D, a modern composition by the fiddler in Uncle Henry's string band. The difficulty here is that the melody extends from the low A on the g string all the way up to the high D on the E string. This works fine on fiddle, but translating it to mandolin, I find that it sounds more cohesive if, occasionally, I play some of the high and low phrasing at different octaves than the fiddler has chosen. The other "problem", is that it is a crooked tune, which actually sounds quite complete. However, I have decided to make one small change to extend the b part from 14 bars to 16 bars to make it work at a contra dance. I have emailed the composer to ask his permission, always the proper courtesy.

The third tune is easy and very noble sounding. To my ears it sounds like a Scottish March, that might by rendered by bagpipes. But how do you explain the title? The name of the tune is Maggots in the Sheep Hide. Highly recommended.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

Finally tackling The Cuckoo's Nest...

Been playing "Belle of Lexington" based on Emmett Lundy's fiddle version. I have been playing on both instruments but mandolin is a bit more fun. A great bouncy and notey tune.

Belle of Lexington

Also, Jimmy in the Swamp, a Missouri tune as played on fiddle by Bob Walters:

Jimmy in the Swamp
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Finally tackling The Cuckoo's Nest...
    Looks like I already tackled this a few years ago and forgot it...

I found a fun tune: "The Fantastic Hornpipe." I can't find a video or recording of it, but it is out there on the Traditional Tune Archive and here:

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=tr...e/Sets/EF/0027

It is a fantastic mandolin tune.
    --William Shakespeare

16. The following members say thank you to Jack Roberts for this post:

derbex 

Jim Garber, Listening to your recording of Jimmy in the Swamp makes me wonder if it was composed and/or recorded in the late 1920s. I ask that, because the tune reminds me so much of the traditional jazz of that same period. I can almost hear Bix Beiderbecke playing along.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

Jim: As far as I know it is a traditional tune from Missouri played by a Bob Walters. Who knows? Whoever composed it might have heard Bix play something like it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Not sure why I'm posting this... archives, maybe? Mess with the search functionality? Ahdunno.

Anyway, here's a list of all the fiddle tunes I've learned in the 6+ years I've been playing mandolin. It's possible I've forgotten a few, but I think it's fairly complete. If I ever get my act together, I'd like to post some very basic videos on these melodies. (I have a whole storage unit of junk I keep saying I'm going to put on ebay, too, but have I even started doing that? Nope.)

Angeline The Baker
    Arkansas Traveler
    Banish Misfortune
    Beaumont Rag
    Big Mon
    Big Sandy River
    Big Sciota
    Bill Cheatum
    Billy in the Lowground
    Blackberry Blossom
    Bright Days
    Brilliancy
    Cattle in the Cane
    Cherokee Shuffle
    Clinch Mountain Backstep
    Cluck Old Hen
    Cripple Creek
    Cuckoo's Nest
    Daley’s Reel
    Devil's Dream
    Dixie Hoedown
    East Tennessee Blues
    Elzic's Farewell
    Fisher's Hornpipe
    Flowers of Edinburgh
    Forked Deer
    Fred Digs Up A Hornet’s Nest
    Girl I Left Behind Me
    Goodbye Liza Jane
    Itzbin Reel
    Jerusalem Ridge
    June Apple
    Kentucky Mandolin
    Kitchen Girl
    Liberty
    Lonesome Fiddle Blues
    Monroe’s Hornpipe
    My Father’s Footsteps
    Oklahoma Redbird
    Old Joe Clark
    Old Daingerfield
    Old Grimes
    Over the Waterfall
    Rebecca
    Red-Haired Boy
    Rickett’s Hornpipe
    Rights of Man
    Sally Gooden
    Salt Creek
    Ship in the Clouds
    Shove that Pig's Foot a Little Further into the Fire
    Soldier's Joy
    Southern Flavor
    St Anne's Reel
    Swinging on a Gate
    Temperance Reel
    Texas Gales
    Whiskey Before Breakfast
    Winder Slide
    Last edited by terzinator; Sep-06-2016 at 1:41pm. Reason: forgot a couple

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    Just as challenging is Pete's High D, a modern composition by the fiddler in Uncle Henry's string band. The difficulty here is that the melody extends from the low A on the g string all the way up to the high D on the E string. This works fine on fiddle, but translating it to mandolin, I find that it sounds more cohesive if, occasionally, I play some of the high and low phrasing at different octaves than the fiddler has chosen. The other "problem", is that it is a crooked tune, which actually sounds quite complete. However, I have decided to make one small change to extend the b part from 14 bars to 16 bars to make it work at a contra dance. I have emailed the composer to ask his permission, always the proper courtesy.
    Wow, coincidence! I've been working on that tune as well, albeit on the fiddle and not the mandolin. I find it very challenging, but I love the way they play that tune. I'll get there one day. Right now, when I play the high D it sounds more like someone squeaking the air out of a balloon.

Aside from that and a few others, I've mainly been working on tunes in A, focusing on sawmill tuning (AEAE) on one of my fiddles. I've spent so long playing standard tuning on the mandolin, I need to work on making sawmill feel natural so I don't get confused when I switch from a high part to a low part. Plus, I'm still trying to make the standard shuffle (Nashville shuffle or Georgia shuffle, depending on one's personal taxonomic choice) feel natural. So tunes like Sugar in the Gourd are seeing a lot of play time for me lately.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    Anyway, here's a list of all the fiddle tunes I've learned in the 6+ years I've been playing mandolin.
    I've learned about 30 fiddle tunes since I started and they're all on this list but Gold Rush and maybe Turkey in the Straw. which is your favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    which is your favorite?
    Whichever one I've just learned!

Actually, I love 'em all, for the most part, but three that I always enjoy playing are Flowers of Edinburgh, Pig's Foot, and Forked Deer.

Just learned Flower's of Edinburgh at my fiddle player's request, funny how tunes show in multiple places.

I'm working on "Elk's Festival Hornpipe" this week. It's a fun tune to play.
    --William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    Forked Deer.
    Cool tune. I like the B part a lot. The A part is a finger buster (for me) ala Blackberry Blossom

I'm working on "Jerusalem Ridge" and "New Camptown Races."
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I just learned Mace Bell's Civil War March. Mike, you've listed some great tunes. I don't know "Squirrel Heads in Gravy." Must give it a try! Friends have chosen Sal's Got Mud Between Her Toes as our next tune that we'll jam on at the end of this month. I also like Paddy on the Handcar. There are several different tunes with that name, and I don't think the version I play is on YouTube. Not sure, though. It's in G and plays up the neck a ways. It took years to learn it ONLY because I was fingering it in the open position. Can we post links at the Mandolin Cafe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    I'm making a concerted effot to ramp up the old learning curve. These are getting cleaner by the day. What have you been working on?
    Cherokee Shuffle
    Big Scioty
    Barlow Knife
    June Apple
    Nail that Catfish to a Tree
    Sal's Got Mud between Her Toes
    Squirrel Heads in Gravy (still kinda rough)
    A couple of those make me hungry.