Page 36 of 87 FirstFirst ... 113233343536373839406186 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your new fiddle tune?

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Default Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    According to Andy Kunst's site it goes at least back to 1883:
    Thanks, Jim: I wonder how much older it is than Ryan's Mammoth. Massasoit was repaid by the Pilgrims for his kindness when he became quite ill and was expected to die. The Governor and his physician, as well as the famous interpreter Tisquantum ("Squanto") visited him and were able to nurse him back to heath.

Another great resident of the Plymouth Region was John Manjiro (John Mung), a whaler and the first Japanese resident of the United States. I think I'll write a hornpipe in his honor!

Jack
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

I don't know, but I would guess that it is not a tune written contemporary to its honoree. Prob like us, someone in the 19th century heard the story and felt that he needed a tune written in his honor.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I don't know, but I would guess that it is not a tune written contemporary to its honoree. Prob like us, someone in the 19th century heard the story and felt that he needed a tune written in his honor.
    Funny thing, I didn't appreciate the Thanksgiving connection when I started learning this tune yesterday. #I think that could help date it.

You get a feel for the age of things when you compare them to similar tunes that were composed at times you know and that have the same features. I'm going to guess it was written sometime within the 20 years after Lincoln's Thanksgiving Day proclamation and the publication of Ryan's Mammoth. It has "new" sound to it, so maybe it was a pretty new tune when RMC was published.
    --William Shakespeare

I would say you were in the right vicinity. Kunst references Lady Walpole's reel but I am not sure why -- maybe it is a similar tune?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hey Mike,
    Thanks for the Youtube clip, I've been using that one a bit in trying to figure the tune out. Also, thanks for the mp3 of your version, y'all sound fantastic!

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

o.k. I'll contribute. . .

I got this crazy idea that I can learn standard notation. I figured if I know the key and the scale, then it's just follow the bouncing ball and the stems/dots and such.

So, I got some standard notation of fiddle tunes and took a wack on a few tunes I play, just to get the feel. (Just for reference I do sing in the church choir.) Well, from the tunes that I know I got some variation in the music I was reading so all was moving forward nicely.

During my page flipping, I saw a tune, "Dead Slave." Well, I figured there's a tune nobody would call in a jam and a tune I never heard. So I took a go on it.

I think I got it worked up! I mean it really came together! Just not sure I can call it in a jam. It seems somehow a tune that's past it's shelf life. Then again, there may be some backststory. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    ..."Dead Slave.".... It seems somehow a tune that's past it's shelf life. Then again, there may be some backststory. . .

f-d
    Fatt-Dad, it looks like the Tune is also know as " Fiddler's Hoedown". It might be a little easier to call that one. http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/FIA_FILLY.htm#FIDDLER'S_HOEDOWN

The fiddle tunes I have been working on are: Texas Crapshooter, Comanche Hit and Run and Maiden's Prayer. I go see Bobby Hicks just about every week and these are the tunes we are working on.

Seems like I've been working on 'em for 2 months straight.
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

[QUOTE=John Duncan;1105956]Fatt-Dad, it looks like the Tune is also know as " Fiddler's Hoedown". It might be a little easier to call that one. http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/FIA_FILLY.htm#FIDDLER'S_HOEDOWN

<snip>[QUOTE]

I feel much better now.

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    o.k. I'll contribute. . .

I got this crazy idea that I can learn standard notation. I figured if I know the key and the scale, then it's just follow the bouncing ball and the stems/dots and such.....
    That worked for me: I learned standard notation on the mandolin pretty much following this method. I can actually name notes now after a few years of doing this, but that came as a skill after I followed the f-d follow the bouncing ball method.

The other trick that sometimes works is index and ring finger on notes with lines through them, open, middle finger and pinky on notes with no lines through them.
    --William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Roberts View Post
    <snip>The other trick that sometimes works is index and ring finger on notes with lines through them, open, middle finger and pinky on notes with no lines through them.
    Oh, that's a great idea! Thanks also for the vote of confidence - i.e., that my mission has some history of success.

f-d

Just came accross a tune I am smitten with, if not just by the title alone. "Thats My Rabbit, My Dog Caught It", key of C. I came by it by way of the late Kelly Perdue of the Mando Mafia, out of Charolettsville Va.
    Better get to it.......
    Last edited by Charles E.; Dec-05-2012 at 8:15pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

well I had sort of gotten away from traditional fiddle tunes ( not entirely but ..) so anyway I satisfied my MAS craving and the new instrument ( a nice Weber octave) so to break it in what else but some good old fiddle tunes - St Anne's Reel, Whiskey Before Breakfast, Red Haired Boy, Fisher's Hornpipe, so I invited some old friends I by chance ran into at Grey Fox Bluegrass fest this summer and they got me playing the Banshee and Banish Misfortune and Blarney pilgrim, well I was having so much fun playing Red Haired Boy on the octave that I started playing over an octave chord loop on mandolin and mandola and that got me driven to work out the melody on RHB on mandola, and that got me looking for hints on the mandolin cafe and I see this thread about Black Mountain Rag and a few people have heard it in C so I just worked it out on the mandola in C

Fiddle tunes should be classified as a highly addictive substance

my name is Tim and I am an addict

Gotta get moving... I am leading our monthly jam at an old farmhouse this evening. I started "assigning" a few tunes for folks to familiarize themselves with if not already. Focusing on G tonight:

Little Boy Where did you get Your Britches

Lost Girl (Salyer)

Lost Girl (Lundy)

West Virginia Rag
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

those were really great Jim! I want to learn them now!

f-d

Jim, is "Little Boy where did you get your britches" the same as "Rye Straw"?
    Charley

OK, this is in the works, great tune......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bItaBzKric
    Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    OK, this is in the works, great tune......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bItaBzKric
    I love rags on mandolin. I think Hawkins is playing a mandolin-banjo.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim, is "Little Boy where did you get your britches" the same as "Rye Straw"?
    Somewhat similar but not really.

Here's Tommy Jarrell's version: Rye Straw
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Down in Little Egypt
    Mike Snyder

Just came accross a tune I am smitten with, if not just by the title alone. "Thats My Rabbit, My Dog Caught It", key of C. I came by it by way of the late Kelly Perdue of the Mando Mafia, out of Charolettsville Va.
    Better get to it.......
    You can find 3 versions of this tune at the itunes store. One of the CDs that has it, "Kentucky Music Part 1" looks like real gem. I've never encountered 3/4 of the tunes on the CD. One of the stranger things I've ever heard in old time music is the vocal in the first tune, Ladies on the Steamboat. It sounds like the Kentucky version of Tuva overtone singing. Check it out. Does this technique of murmoured yodeling actually have a precise name?

I've been hunkered down on a losing mission, simultaneously trying to learn four or five new tunes by rote listening, none of which I seem to be able to focus on for more than a few minutes at a time. They are all fiddle tunes, but not necessarily old time. I think i have the Scottish strathspey, Mrs. MacDowell Grant, down pretty good, as well as the Irish jig, Moon and Seven Stars which is a relatively quick learn. The trick is knowing them well enough that i can simply play them anytime, without having to refer to my ipod recordings of them.

Our band has just added two mountain tunes to its repertoire, Johnny Don't Get Drunk and Buck Mountain . They comprise the last two tunes of a new contra dance set, initiated by the Jay Unger tune Around the Horn, which I know well. But I don't know the melody to either one of these new tunes yet. For Johnny, I am content to play syncopated 4 note chords, which seems to be the most common role of a mandolin at a contra dance.

For Buck Mountain, I have developed something else entirely, a kind of bass rhythm by playing, at speed, a bass part on the D and G strings while simultaneously alternating with a drone on the A strings. It's a technique I developed for optimally adding a mandolin part while playing with two strong rhythm instruments (guitar and piano) and two strong melody instruments (violin and viola). I wish i could describe it better, since it works so well. And yet, who ever heard of a mandolin playing the bass part?
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    You can find 3 versions of this tune at the itunes store. One of the CDs that has it, "Kentucky Music Part 1" looks like real gem. I've never encountered 3/4 of the tunes on the CD.
    Sometimes in different regions there are other names assigned to the same or similar tunes. I sometimes find a CD with all unfamiliar names and they turn out to be variants on tunes I know already.

[QUOTE=Jim Nollman;1112208]One of the stranger things I've ever heard in old time music is the vocal in the first tune, Ladies on the Steamboat. It sounds like the Kentucky version of Tuva overtone singing. Check it out. Does this technique of murmoured yodeling actually have a precise name?/QUOTE]

I think you are referring to the vocalizations that sound sort of like jews harp or just singing thru the nose. I don't think it is throat singing tho hard to tell on the early recordings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Ha! I like to play Rye Straw. I just made my rendition from tab, having never heard the tune before or known any jam mates that play it. My rendition is nothing like Tommy Jarrell's. I mean is that right?!?

(I do like my rendition though - fun to play and such.)

f-d

I think you are referring to the vocalizations that sound sort of like jews harp or just singing thru the nose. I don't think it is throat singing tho hard to tell on the early recordings.
    Yeh, you are probably right, it does remind me of a jews harp as well. That would make much more sense than overtone singing. Nonetheless, the actual sound does demonstrate some of the aspects of overtone singing.

Performing in Sweden and Finland, I have shared a stage with locals who sang their own traditional tunes, occasionally accenting the songs with overtone technique. Apparently, the technique was borrowed from Saami (laplander) storytelling and song. The Saami's oldest origins are in Central Asia.

I guess I was reaching a bit, to wonder if the weird styling I heard on that Kentucky CD might have been sung by a Scandinavian immigrant.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

The Countess of Louden's Reel.
    --William Shakespeare

Done Gone, trying to get that Dewey Farmer toughness...