Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alvarez mandolins

I am looking to buy a new mandolin (middle-price range). The problem is that I live in small-town, Alabama and don't have access to trying many. I have a Kentucky, super-cheap beginner's model and would like to take the next step up (of course on a college student's budget). I have an Alvarez guitar which I really like and think the craftmanship is great for a middle-of-the-road price and was wondering if the same is true of their mandolins. I am specifically looking at the F3ANT and have found it priced for $769.99. Is it worth the price?

Thanks!

By His Grace,
    .wireDGrass.

The difficulty in answering that question about brands like Alvarez, Kentucky and other importers is that they really aren't builders, so experience doesn't always mean a lot. So that model may be fine or it may not. The quality depends on who they have building it for them in Asia and what specs they are building to, either or both of which may change at any time, without the model # changing. I had a decent Alvarez A800 F-style for years and it was a good deal, but if I only had $770 to spend, I would not spend it on that instrument. That's just my choice. In that price range, I would buy used and I would buy and "A" style to get more instrument for my money. I would make sure I had an approval period and immediately have a local luthier check the instrument over and assuming it had no major flaws, have him set it up right for me. But if you are just dying to have that Alvarez, it seems like the specs on it are about par for the course in that price range, so go for it.

I have had my Alvarez since 1975, it has been used hard for all that time, I have some top sinking issues but, I have not always been the "kindest" to it. If you can find one I would say "Get it!"
    I really can't say much about the newer ones, not a terribly popular item around Kalamazoo, sad to say.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I think it's important for you to consider the fact that the Alvarez mandolins are not built by Alvarez, per se. Most Asian production mandolins are made by one or two factories, most likely Daewon, and are essentially clones of one another, with the brand name added to the headstock. Hence, an Alvarez is the same as a Fender, Aria, etc., etc. when buying Asian mandos in this price range. Take a look at used Eastman mandos, or some of the Kentucky all solid wood models.

Dave
    Striving for mediocrity and perpetually falling short.

On topic: I've played a really nice A-style Alvarez (cannot remember model number, but it's a very light-colored mandolin with spruce top and maples B/S). In fact, that was the first mandolin I'd ever played and I enjoyed it very much. It was worth every bit of the 5 bills they wanted for it, in my view.

Just as a suggestion, if a person has almost 8 bills to spend, I'd seriously look at a Jade A-style mandolin or an Eastman A-style.

Get an Eastman or Michael Kelly.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Forget the MK, get an Eastman.
    Living’ in the Mitten

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Ostrander For This Useful Post:

I bought an Alvarez F3Ant second for a friend (and fixed a top crack done during the antiquing process, saving her hundreds). It was light and good-looking and nicely made. Once I had it set up right, it played like butter. It had a relatively good dryish bluegrass sound. But as is generally the case with PacRim mandolins, even a lot of Eastmans, it sounded thin. But it was a decent mandolin for the price and looked nice. In your price range, you sort of have to assume that you are not going to get great tone, but you can at least find solid wood (like the Alvarez), decent construction, and--after a good set-up--excellent playability. I think the playability is the most important, as it helps you learn to play better. You can move up to better tone later. But there are occasionally used A style hand-made mandolins American mandolins on our classified pages that SOUND much better than what you are looking at. The trouble is that it's hard to tell unless you try it.

Very nicely put, Blue mtn. Set up and playability can make or break the perception of the instrument. If it feels good, it will make you more at ease with it. I guess I would have to say "find the instrument, not always the Name" and see where that leads you.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by (BlueMountain @ Aug. 27 2008, 08:00)
    ...But there are occasionally used A style hand-made mandolins American mandolins on our classified pages that SOUND much better than what you are looking at. The trouble is that it's hard to tell unless you try it.
    Agreed, but one of the best things about buying used, is that if you buy it for a fair market value price and don't like it, you should be able to turn around and sell it for what you paid for it -- but not so if you buy new. Buying used would also permit you to exercise a catch-and-release form of MAS without breaking the bank or loosing money on any given transaction -- and I gradually worked my way up to a used Arches using this method, after starting out with a used Kentucky for $85. (Each time I changed mandolins it cost me no more than one or two hundred dollars extra per transaction, which the wife didn't notice -- but she certainly would have noticed the dent in the budget if I went from the Kentucky to the Arches. )

"The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (wireDGrass @ Aug. 23 2008, 14:48)
    I am looking to buy a new mandolin (middle-price range). #The problem is that I live in small-town, Alabama and don't have access to trying many. #
    What part of Alabama are you in?

Fretted Instruments in Homewood (near Birmingham) has a good selection.

There is also The Fret Shop in Huntsville that handles Eastman.
    James A. Sanford

Well, I certainly appreciate all that you have said! I really wish that I could try a lot of different options, because I hate to put out any money without knowing what I am dealing with. That is why I wanted to know about Alvarez since I liked my guitar. I will start looking for used mandolins, though, since that is the general suggestion. I just stinks that there is nowhere nearby (that I know of, I'm in Auburn) to lay my hands on a few different brands. Birmingham is only 2 hours away, though, and I'll have to look into that store. Thanks again, and more suggestions are welcome--you are the experienced!

By His Grace,
    Cody.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Alvarez mandolins

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but one of these Alvarez F3ANT has come up for sale locally (somewhat locally) for $500.

All I'm curious about is whether it's solid & hand carved or solid and pressed top/back? It has the hand-carved detail to the scroll that some other (pressed?) F-style mandolins don't have. It also appears to have a dovetail joint...or at least the detail of a dovetail joint (do people fake this?).

as a side note, a lot of the cheap F mandolins I see have very poor scroll and head detail, but this one looks properly proportioned all around.

Thanks for any additional help,
    Coop
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

The lines are somewhat blurred. Most pressed mandolins do have some carving done. It is only the really low end instruments that have no carving at all. Most will also have dovetail neck joints. The Alvarez there will come from THE main mandolin factory. Not that there is anything wrong with that. The mandolins from the big factory in China are getting progressively better.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

16. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks Robert. Upon closer inspection of the photo(s) of the mandolin n question, I guess I could say that the volute (I just learned that work today) carved(?) into the top looks a little soft, compared to others I've seen and know to be fully carved.

If it were really close, I might have a look, ut it is otherwise about 2 hours away.

Do we know anything concrete about these Factories, and which mandolins are built in which? Do we know which mandolin directly cross references to another with a different name?
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

18. The following members say thank you to theCOOP for this post:

I also have a A Alvarez Yairi guitar and love it, And with that said I bought a Mandoline that was a Alvarez thinking it would be the same...Boy was I wrong LUCKY me I sold it for what i paid for it...I bought a Kentucky KM-850 and it is a big step from the Alvarez I had.

For the amount of cash you want to spen you can get a KM-800 or KM-850 or a used Eastman,you can not go wrong with them and you can get your cash back if you ever wanted to get rid of it.....
    Ray Cantu

20. The following members say thank you to raycantu for this post:

I would suggest keeping an eye on the classifieds here on Mandolin Cafe. Occasionally a Japanese made Alvarez or Kentucky F style shows up in your price range. If you aren't stuck on F style mandos there's usually a wider selection in the A style mandos.

Don.

Hi, new to the forum but wanted to chime in on this. I have a Kentucky 650 that was made in the 80's in Japan. They are fairly rare, but there is one on the classifieds now (not mine, I won't sell mine) at what I think is a good price. Mine is a great sounding and playing instrument. I have played better, but not many. Maybe, this helps.

23. The following members say thank you to truck2242 for this post:

It is a wonderfull brand !

I have one like this , It plays and sounds great !
    Exactly like one F-type Gibson Really !!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 IMG_3902.JPG 
Views:	389 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	152144 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 IMG_3904.JPG 
Views:	461 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	152145

To-day, for this rare vintage model, its price on the US market is minimum $1300 usd

25. The following members say thank you to Irénée for this post:

Interesting how this thread keeps opening every few years.

Must be as Alvarez owners, or potential owners, Google "Alvarez mandolin.'
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

27. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

In the $700.00 price range I would go Eastman or Kentucky A style used. You should be able to get a lot for your money. OOPS! Really old thread. Nothing to see here. Move right along folks.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Old thread, but I'm the same way -- every 5 or 6 years I like to talk about my Alvarez!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Old thread, but I'm the same way -- every 5 or 6 years I like to talk about my Alvarez!
    I have owned three. 2 Point Oval and an A-700 back in the mid 1970's until 1993 when I sold both. I'm a glutton for punishment and bought an A-800 last year. Sold it. Didn't have any punch.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

well hey, I might as well chime in too. I bought an Alvarez A-100 in 1998 partly because I really liked my Alvarez guitar and partly because that's what my local guitar store sold. It served me very well until I found this forum and became enlightened about the vast differences between acoustic instruments as far as quality, solid wood vs/ laminate, etc etc etc...

Anyway, I still have the little fella and it's great to take places that my Weber shouldn't go, like campfires and such.
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

33. The following members say thank you to Paul Merlo for this post:

I have had one since '75 and have no intention of parting with it. It's got serious punch!
    Timothy F. Lewis

35. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post: