Thread: Old regal

Hi folks, I just bought this old Regal. I would be interested in any information regarding its age. I also would like string guage recomendations. I use j74s but don't want to rip the neck off. I lowered the bridge and intonated it the other night and it sounds great. you can see it here
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....&ih=015
    Jim Richmond

I wouldn't put anything heavier than Martin M400s or D'Addario J62s on it. Mediums like J74s are likely to wreck it

Jim:
    I would use nothing heavier than D'Addario J-62s or equiv. The weakest part of this is usually the neck joint.

I can check some catalogs and get an idea of date but probably late 20's early 30's.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The stripes on the back were part of the faux finish style that the Chicago builders seemed to love.

The tuners take it to the late 30's early 40's.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks for the information. I'll get some light strings ordered. Can't wait to hear it with new strings on it. It actually has a pretty grain on the back underneath the painted on stripes.
    Jim Richmond

Picked up a 30's regal simular to the one you have. The top had many cracks, 3 braces broken, neck loose, and the top had a serious wrinkle around the oval hole and tortis pickguard. This mando is all solid wood, tortis pickguard inlaid, very nice multi piece binding. I took the top off and removed all the bracing and after many days of trying to get the top flat, I gave up and left a small wrinkle around the oval hole. I made new braces, a little larger for strength, and glued them to the top, after all the cracks were glued and cleated. Reattached the neck and inserted very small dowels from the inside. Put the top back on, put the fingerboard back on, and set it up for playing. Not the nicest looking mando, but a good player. After working on the frets, I went with j74's. Could not have do so without larger bracing. Let me tell you, this is a keeper. One is the sound, very balanced, and tone is sure old time. I have 34$ in this mando, not counting many hrs of repair time. It was my first major rebuild, and will pass it on to the kid. Could not of been happier with the purchase or the sound from this mando after the rebuild. I bid on this regal after having the opportunity to thump on Mike Compton's regal guitar, while he was in Las Cruces. I do like that sound. Well long story, but you never know what you have until you try a few things. Enjoy the mando, I do.
    Click # 018

Is the top solid or laminated? I can't tell for sure from the photos. Regal made some solid top mandolins that sound very good back in the 20s and 30s. I generally use J62s on them, as that's all it takes to drive them. Sometimes they can be quite rich and sparkling in tone, with a delightful sustain.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Is the top solid or laminated
    The top appears to be solid as does the back. Rich sound with lots of overtones and thats with the old dead strings it came with.
    Jim Richmond