Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best mandolin tab book?

Default Re: Best mandolin tab book?

Quote Originally Posted by rnr View Post
    Hi

Can anyone tell me of a good mandolin music book with a lot of songs and tabs in a variety of styles, hopefully with a cd? Not looking for an instructional book, just one with a lot of music

Thanks
    Eric
    This book conforms almost perfectly to the OPs request.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Has "Fiddle Tunes for Flatpickers-Mandolin" already been mentioned? http://www.amazon.com/Fiddle-Tunes-F.../dp/0825687535

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ..... The Master Anthology of Mandolin Solos Volume 1 is a gathering of several styles of players into one book which comes with a recording. This is a book for the intermediate player wishing to become an advanced player. The book of transcriptions by Dave Peters is one for intermediate to advanced players also. For a player earlier in their mandolin journey the Mandolin Pickers Fakebook is a good choice but the lack of recordings makes you spend a lot of time hunting through YouTube videos for examples...... Luck.. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Six-year-old zombie thread! Not bad!

For me, I find tune reference books much more practical than instruction books.

I have a bad habit of buying instruction/technique/exercise books, and assuming that simply purchasing them will be enough to give me the wisdom. Got a whole bookshelf full of 'em with nearly perfect spines.

Like crisscross mentions, Bob Grant's fiddle tune book is great, but it only has about 15 tunes or so. (Still one of my faves.)

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    I have a bad habit of buying instruction/technique/exercise books, and assuming that simply purchasing them will be enough to give me the wisdom. Got a whole bookshelf full of 'em with nearly perfect spines.
    True, true...

One thing I did try (and NFI of course), was Banjo Ben Clark's website. Tabs on PDF, TEF files, and video instruction for the price of a couple of books. Seemed to be more up my alley...
    Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular...

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

another site I found with great content is mandolessons.com (probably discussed here many times)

Here's his page on fiddle tunes:

http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/fiddle-tunes/

His mandolin sounds great, so it wasn't surprising when I looked on his "equipment" page to learn that it's an Ellis.

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    This book conforms almost perfectly to the OPs request.
    Agree completely! It has arrangements for tunes in a variety of styles, all pretty recognizable (unless maybe you're 12, as some of them reach back in the day). Each song has a basic melody and a couple of more advanced versions. Ms. Davis also includes tons of "alternate licks" to include in the various arrangements that are helping (me, anyway) better understand structure and soloing, without being overly technical. CD included, highly recommended.

As for a more rock based book, I have a book of Beatles songs arranged for mandolin that's fun to play through, but not sure offhand about anything more current. I will say that something I'm finding useful is making myself learn "guitar" songs I know on mando. It's expanding my chord vocabulary on mando (because I'm going sans capo) and also helping my transposition skills. And, though I still struggle a bit, I'm also getting better at picking out melody lines/solos, though it's still a slow process for me.
    Chuck

8. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Mel Bay Publishes a lot of Book/CD combinations .. they announce new titles in the Classifieds, Here, Occasionally.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

After 7 years, shouldn't we ask what the OP meant by 'tab book'?
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I will say that something I'm finding useful is making myself learn "guitar" songs I know on mando. It's expanding my chord vocabulary on mando (because I'm going sans capo) and also helping my transposition skills. And, though I still struggle a bit, I'm also getting better at picking out melody lines/solos, though it's still a slow process for me.
    I'm trying this too--but I still like to try stuff that's already been arranged as well--even though I tend to make up my own arrangements.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?