Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hutto copy

Who makes the best hutto sound copy?
    Does a Collings MF have the wood sound?
    Red Diamond Vintage 24 A
    Buckeye #56

Default Re: Hutto copy

There is no copying the Hutto sound. Johnny had his own way of making the sound to fit the buyers desire. None of them are exactly alike. A Hutto is a Hutto is a Hutto.

Dr. John Ashburn
    Dahlonega, GA

Flatwound...your showing a Buckeye mandolin on your signature, form the ones Ive heard and played that should be close if not superior to a Hutto, I dont know what Hutto sound is really , unless your describing a woody pop type chop? Your Buckeye has that for sure.

Wasn't a Hutto a copy of a Gibson F5? If not, how were the two product dissimilar?

Chuck , yes John did build his interpretation of the F5 as well as many others, such as Ibanez, Alvarez, Savannah ,Michael Kelly etc but I wouldnt compare those to a Hutto. The Gibsons of Hutto's time period were typically not as bassy as Johns mandos. He had also put the Gibson name on the headstock on many of his ealier creations. He also did some experimental stuff inside the mandolins that I cant reveal, I promised never to devulge.

Copperhead mandolins are the closest to a Hutto you will ever hear.They are not copys they just have that pop and tone that most Huttos are know for.If anyone's going to Bean Blossom and wants to try a Copperhead mandolin or hear one I'll be playing one with Karl Shifflett.

Did you retire the Hutto or just endorsing Copperhead now?

Quote Originally Posted by barry k View Post
    Flatwound...your showing a Buckeye mandolin on your signature, form the ones Ive heard and played that should be close if not superior to a Hutto, I dont know what Hutto sound is really , unless your describing a woody pop type chop? Your Buckeye has that for sure.
    I got to compare my Buckeye's to a Hutto and was really surprise just how close they all were in tone. My band is playing a festival in early August with Lost and Found and I am hoping to do a side by side with Scottss Hutto.
    Rob Tebworth

www.tebworthbrothers.com

Gibson MM
    #73 BRW Varnish F

I have a Flatiron Festival model that Dempsy Young played a few years ago at a festival and it sounds a lot like his Hutto, he said he was amazed how close they were...Thats the reason I bought it, I had four mandolins and sue didn`t need another one.....I have never heard another Flatiron Festival that sounds as good as this one....Willie

i have to throw in my vote for the copperhead as well. I have 2 friends both used to own huttos, each played a different copperhead first things out of their mouth, " man that reminds me of my hutto" the copperheads have a deep chop while maintaining a really good balanced, with plenty of mids and trebles. I feel a lot of modern builders are lacking the cut that the great old mandolins, had. jason has blended that sound really well. when i hear dempsey young i hear that blend.
    larry sparks's mandolin player has a great hutto that i've not heard a lot of people talk about

Chuck , yes John did build his interpretation of the F5 as well as many others, such as Ibanez, Alvarez, Savannah ,Michael Kelly etc but I wouldnt compare those to a Hutto. The Gibsons of Hutto's time period were typically not as bassy as Johns mandos. He had also put the Gibson name on the headstock on many of his ealier creations. He also did some experimental stuff inside the mandolins that I cant reveal, I promised never to devulge.
    Barry,

I remember in the '80's when players were discovering what Mr. Hutto was doing. I had not heard about the bassy nature. That makes sense for BG use.

I friend told me Mr Hutto was color blind and some of his mandolins were stained green.

I dont know if he was color blind, I kinda doubt it. He wasnt just a one trick pony, in addtion to his ability to build mandolins, he was a terrific bluegrass picker and tenor singer that would rival Bill himself. Also , he was a genius with electricity, in particular, electric motors and related stuff. That would throw out the color blind theory. I know for a fact that he hated to apply finish, he just wasnt any good at it. He didnt mind if his customers found someone other then him to do it.

I never owned a hutto barry but have played several through out the years.I hear some hutto sound in your mandolins as well.

I dont know if he was color blind, I kinda doubt it. He wasnt just a one trick pony, in addtion to his ability to build mandolins, he was a terrific bluegrass picker and tenor singer that would rival Bill himself. Also , he was a genius with electricity, in particular, electric motors and related stuff. That would throw out the color blind theory. I know for a fact that he hated to apply finish, he just wasnt any good at it. He didnt mind if his customers found someone other then him to do it.
    Perhaps he wasn't, apparently some came out green. I have an acquaintance who did some finish work for a customer.

This past weekend, a buddy brought me into his camper and showed me a box, inside were a neck, fingerboard, top, back and sides, all done by Hutto. All that has to be done is the assembly. Pretty cool.

I don't know if he was color blind, but it is possible. I know a Master Electrician/Electrical Engineer who is completely color blind. He entered Univerity of MD in about 1964 and they told him 'no way, you are color blind.' He talked them into letting him in. He memorized all the codes on the wires. So it is possible to be color blind and work with electricity.

I've never heard a Copperhead, but up until now I haven't heard anything close to Dempsey Young's Hutto.................part of the sound was Dempsey.

Bob
    re simmers

You guys should try a Copperhead if see one they are really great mandolins and I have played about every mandolin around.Jason is on a fast track to becoming one of the best and he's a great guy to deal with.

A mandolin is ALWAYS the best ( at the time) when the recommendation comes from a compensated endorser.

As a friend of Jason's and a guy who plays his mandolins I feel obligated to step in here. I know jason does not give away mandolins and he doesnt pay anyone to play them, wich is my definition of an "endorser". Grass grabber bought a demo model copperhead and is helping Jason get his name out. Some builders have the luxury of having the time and money to go to all the festivals and ibma gatherings and have thousands of people play their mandolins. If they cant do that, then word of mouth is their next option.
    Jason builds some of the best mandolins out there, I havent played or heard a comparable mandolin anywhere near the price range. He is one of the nicest guys you could possibly meet and would hate to know that there as any kind of negativity being attached to his name, so if this message is found offensive I appologize

I'm not being compensated ,I just know great mandolin when I play one.Jason lives in Ohio and his mandolin's are as good as buckeye's,red diamond.He just needs to get his name out there.

I have two friends with Hutto mandolins and both to me have that old Gibson bluegrass sound. Deep chop and low tone not bright at all like Gilchrist or Collins. I've been MASing for an old Hutto for a long time! LOL!

Never heard of a Copperhead but it IS surprising (or maybe not) that whenever someone has a new mandolin it is always the best they have ever heard and the builder is the next up and coming star! LOL!
    Time will tell is all I say...

jim i know what youre saying but i have to say i have been playing jasons mandolins since #1. I helped talk him into doing the traditional F-5 model. I think he's built 25 or 30 mandolins all have been great the copperheads are really off the charts. I have been lucky enough to play many of the top notch mandolins, master models, heiden , gilchrist, red diamond, collings varnished, duff etc the copperheads have been better than most, as good as a few. And aside from danny roberts loar none have been much better.
    everyone who's ever put steel to wood was a relative unknown at one point. I would encourage anyone who's interested , to contact Jason talk to him for 5 minutes ask him about his varnish or his finish process, and listen to the passion he has about his craft. When you put that kind of heart into building anything it's bound to be great.

I want to appologize for getting a little off topic these past couple of posts, good luck with the quest for the hutto tone what ever mandolin you decide to check out.

I have a copperhead for a reason and not because it is my new one.Just throwin my 2 cents in about the topic which was what mandolins out there that most sounds like a hutto.

Barry's point is valid...Kobe used to swear by Adidas until Nike offered bigger bux...Jordan was a Converse guy until Nike paid him to wear their shoes and help design his own line...

At the same time, there's nothing wrong with a satisfied customer voicing their opinion. I'm very happy with my new Silver Angel econo model. It's not perfect, but has much better playability and tone than the other mandolins I own, with the possible exception of my Flatty pancake, which is too different to compare anyway. As I bought my mando used and have never talked with or even emailed Ken, he's given me absolutely nothing to say these comments. My other mandos are admittedly inexpensive, and so, yes, the SA is the best F-holed mandolin I've owned so far. Knowing MAS as I do, I doubt it will be the best mandolin I ever own, hence the rationale for Jim's comments...we're all trying to move up the mandolin food chain, whether we want to admit it or not.

I've not played a Copperhead nor a Hutto, and thus can't comment on the original question. But, the truth is likely somewhere between the opposing views above...and remember, at some point Dude and Gil were the "next best thing." Of course, so was (and some would argue still is) Wiens...you never know how these things will play out in the long run.
    Chuck