Thread: arrow mandolins at weiser

well, i had to leave weiser early to play a gig last night. i was thinking that i would get to play some cool instruments there, and i wasn't wrong. paul lestock was there with mandolins(4,5, and 8 string), octave mandos, mandocellos guitars, and the coolest tenor guitar i've ever seen. he brought a rack and just set them out for people to play and comment on. how cool is that?
    the guitarist that i play jazz with has an arrow django style guitar, so i knew that paul makes nice stuff. i wasn't expecting the range of really fine instruments that he makes. i was thinking that the "jazzbo" 4 and 5 string mandos wouldn't sound all that great acoustically, but after spending two hours with the 5 string at a jam, i have to say that i was wrong. not exactly mandolin-like, but great tone and plenty of volume.
    i took paul's prototype of his new "G" style to a jam session, and it was all over. he never did get it back-well, i had to give it back when i left, but only so he can buff out the finish and put an end pin in it. it's the lightest, most responsive mando i've ever played. plus, it looks cool-kind of the offspring of one of those old multi-point kays from the 30's and a F style. it held it's own with my friend's gilchrist F5, but has a unique tone all it's own.
    so that's my little report from weiser. sorry, once paul got out all his stuff, i kinda lost interest in the other stuff. greg boyd was there, and i still think that those prucha F's are the best bluegrass mandos around, and he also had a 1966-67 givens A that was really cool, but not for sale.
    now i'm going to go take a nap...
    john
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pictures, John, we demand Pictures!!!
    (Every proud new parent is required by law to provide pictures...)

Sounds like a really good time. Been hearing really good things about the Lestock instruments.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

ted-
    i'll do it, but someone's gonna have to hold my hand. plus, i won't really have it for a few weeks. 'til then, i'll have my memories.....
    john

well, i just got the mandolin. thank god, ups did a better job than last time, and it arrived in one piece.
    i've been sitting here playing it for about an hour, and it's just great! i have never seen or heard any of paul's more "traditional" A or F style mandos, just this one and several of the jazzbos. this mandolin shares alot with the jazzbo, but with a deeper, sweeter tone. my wife commented that "it has a clearer tone than any other mandolin i've heard you play." that's not all of it, though. it's really different sounding than any other mando.
    the 14 7/8" scale will take a little getting used to, but i recall that after a day of playing, i didn't notice it. other than the scale, it plays great, with it's radiused fingerboard and large frets.
    anyway, i'm going to go play it some more. i'll put pictures up, but i don't have the technology myself, so i'll have to find someone with a digital camera.
    john

Quote Originally Posted by (mandorose @ July 13 2004, 18:51)
    #anyway, i'm going to go play it some more. i'll put pictures up, but i don't have the technology myself, so i'll have to find someone with a digital camera.
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # john
    Take it down to Greg Boyd's. Looks like from the pics on his web site, he has the picture taking ability.
    Fred

yeah, i'm sure that they would do it, but greg and chad left for the darrington, wa. bluegrass festival in "chad's RV" about two hours before the mando came in.when they get back, they'll probably be pretty tosted, so i'll have to wait another couple of days. sorry for being a tease.
    john

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gonna help John out a little here, since he's having trouble with his computer. His new baby from the creative talents of Mr. Lestock:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrowG002jpeg.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	3269  
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Do you know what type of topwood this mando has? Thanks.

i think engleman spruce. if not, it's sitka.
    john

Blog Entries

Holy cow, that is a pretty one!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence