Thread: Washburn mandolin

Smile

Does anyone have a washburn mandolin? If so,what model do you have? Also does anyone have one of those kentucky "dawg" mandolins that they made some years ago?

I have a Washburn tater-bug. It's old, but I don't know how old.

I have a MS3W. Is there a follow on question?

Mike

I have a year 1/2 old M120.

I do - see my signature below.
    2007 Washburn M6SW Jethro Burns

I have an A model my lovely bride gave to me as a wedding present 23 years ago. I wish I knew the model #. Its had some work. The bridge collapsed about eight years ago (my fault-- overtightened strings-- don't ask), the nut crumbled three years ago and I replace the tailpiece (Weber--overspent- probably worth more than the mandolin but it was an improvement in tone) a couple years ago. All the the replacements were to the benefit of the mandolin. I think replacing the nut and the se-up had the greatest benefit. It really plays easily and has a nice tone. I particularly like the way it sounds with silk 'n steel strings. I also have a Flatiron Performer A that I love, but even without the sentimental attachment I don't think I'd ever get rid of the washburn.

Ed McG

Quote: "I have a year 1/2 old M120. "

Mandoboy07... How do you like the M120? I'm interested in this model because of the wide neck and bigger box. How does it sound and play? I bought the Richie Owens album to hear it (it sounds good in the recordings). They look really nice I think if they feel and sound as good as they look it might be an interesting addition to my MAS herd.

Thanks........ Perry

===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

The best Washburns were the ones that Jethro Burns actually endorsed and signed back in the late 70's and up until his death in 1989. They were made in Japan by the best luthiers. The "Jethro Burns" Washburns today are laughable and sub-standard at best compared to the REAL Washburn Jethro Burns Signature Models!
    Molon Labe

Sorry to say, but the newer model Washburn mandolins that I have seen lately are of very poor quality. I tried to play one at a bluegrass jam a few months ago, and to my opinion it was basically unplayable, may have been the setup, I just didn't waste much time with it.

Al
    "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to Dance in the rain."

I have a very sweet and delightful Washburn from the 20s that looks like a Martin Style A. It sort of quivers with emotion. But they weren't made by the company that bears the name today.

Here, just let me drag that soapbox a little closer to the mic, so I can step up on it and begin my tiresome tirade --

This is what happens when a respected American label, associated with a historic but defunct manufacturer, is annexed by a contemporary distributor and assigned to a line of imported instruments. #Talk about "apples and oranges" -- we have people comparing vintage US-built instruments from 80 years ago, with a quality line of import models spec-ed and endorsed by Jethro Burns, with a relatively undistinguished (by all accounts) line of contemporary Asian imports. #Only thing they have in common is a nameplate. #Like Epiphone, Regal, Oscar Schmidt, Flatiron, Baldwin, Recording King, and others I can't call to mind at the moment, the old labels have been resuscitated from beyond the grave to lend a (somewhat misleading, IMHO) status and cachet to instruments that have nothing to do with their distinguished predecessors.

The Washburn you see in the store now ain't your grand-daddy's Washburn. #I think that's too bad.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I've got a Washburn M4 (see my avatar) that I purchased from e-bay. #After a pro setup, it's a great starter mando. #It's destined to be my boat for the summer, along with a guitar, so I don't have to carry them back and forth each week.

I recently purchased a solid topped, Washburn M1SDL oval hole mando in Trans Red. #It's in the shop being setup right now. #Can't wait to get my hands on it to start playing it. #My Tech did a great job setting up my M4 (with no trussrod).....I'm dying to see how the new one turns out!

Pictures to follow!!!!!

Good luck in choosing yours!!!

Washburn DM2000S Ltd. Ed.
    Washburn WD32SW
    Washburn D10SCEB
    Washburn M4 mandolin
    Washburn M1SDL mandolin
    Epiphone AJ100VS
    Carlo Robelli J220-VS
    Guild Pilot Bass
    Michael Kelly Firefly 4-string fretless A/E Bass

I've seen a number of the newest low-end Washburns and the nut spacing on all of them has been terrible. The D and A courses are too close together.

I agree with Allen. The names of these companies are intellectual "property" and the owners can do with them as they please, but the zombification of these once fine brands is. in my humble opinion, a shame.
    Steve

I got my Washburn M5 (?), the Jethro Burns model, around 1980. Buckdancer's Choice (instrument dealers) in Portland, Maine worked with their rep to hand select one from a larger shipment. It sounded great right out of the case and has just gotten better and better sounding ever since. After 25 years, I had the frets replaced (and upgraded) along with a professional luthier "set-up" that again improved the tone and playability remarkably. It's a little soft on volume, but I still love it and can't imagine ever parting with it even as I lust for something Weber-like or Collings-like (MAD strikes again). I agree, the newer Washburn's are a bit on the chintzy side, but if you find a Jethro model from the 70s, grab it.
    Jethro lives! (Tiny, too!)

I agree that the Washburns of today aren't the same as the Washburns of the past, but the new Washburns will serve as entry level instruments on which to learn. I had a JB for a while and it was certainly not in the same league as a Gibson, Weber or many nicer mandos, it did serve its purpose. The biggest negative on mine was volume. It had decent tone and actually plyed pretty nicely, but it had a small voice. I would only suggest anyone looking at #Washburn JB not to buy a new one at new prices and make sure there was no damage.

That can be said of ANYTHING. An old Remington shotgun is much better built then some of the new ones are but that's only part of the story. IF you compare a new Remington to an old damascus barrel one the new one is a much stronger and reliable gun then the old one. Sure, the old mandolins, guitars, ect. from yesterday were probably made better because of all the hand work that went into them but quality is more consistant today because a machine will make something the same way, day in and day out without varation. If things are set-up right today the quality will be equal from instrument to instrument. In the old days you might get a good one for every 3 bad ones that are turned out. Basically, you get what you pay for, a high end mando will be as good today as one 80 years ago, you just have to be willing to pay for it.

ok reference the "signed" jethro's. i have a m5sw (i believe japanese made / serial number starrts with 82 so it should be made in 82) where would the signature be?
    the only signature is on the cover of the tail piece. this particular mando does not have the rope binding. everytime i think about selling it one of theses threads starts and i realize i might as well keep it because they sell for about $600 on the classifieds and the japanese made jethro's are much better than anything you'll get for that price on the new market. so should i be looking for some hidden signature?

No hidden signature.. usually stamped on the tailpiece

I owned a 1980 M6S and an M7S 2 pointer... both had Burns tailpieces

I got the m7 from Chet Atkins and it was a 2 point with quilted maple...
    My m6 was with the rope binding both were fine instruments

I also have 2 teens bowlback Washburns.. both owned by great aunts

Allenhopkins... on your list I would add "Loar"

thanks jeff h. i got mine from a guy in canandaigua, ny through the classifieds. not quite the same as getting it from chet atkins (pause while i genuflect) ... but i still think i got a good mando at a very fair price.

niaflsbob

I forgot to add that Mine was originally owned by Jethro and upon his death his brother in law.. Chet Atkins ,disposed of some of Jethro's instruments...
    mine was custom made for Jethro.

thanks jeff. i didn't realise there was such a close endorsement between jethro and the actual makers of these washburns. sounds like he paid close attention to what had his name on it.