Thread: Fretless mandolin

How's your ear? Could you play a fretless mandolin? Would you even want to?
    "I love the smell of my mandolin in the morning. The smell, you know ... that varnish smell. Smells like victory."

Blog Entries

It wouldn't sound like what you may think. I don't think I would want one.

Read this or that or even the other one.

Jamie

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Destroyer of Mandolins

If it was mentioned in one of the other threads and I missed it, sorry. But I can't imagine that there isn't a plucked, frettless instrument similar to a mandolin that's a standard instrument somewhere. Not just some luthier's experiment with mandolins that never caught on, but somehing akin to a 'soprano oud' that folks play all the time somewhere in the world.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

What about fretless banjos? They have been around for years, perhaps even before fretted versions.
    Mandolins grip the mind and soothe the heart...

If there were a fretless version to be made, it would make more sense for it to be single string as the absence of frets would diminish clarity of the note.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Or try what my brother has done and doubled the frets so there is a new fret between each of the old frets to hit those notes inbetween.

He plays in an orchestra in Brittanny France which use all those inbetweeny notes. Can't remember what it's called right now but there is a name for those inbetweeny notes and the music that goes with it.

Mando: Weber Bitteroot

I was at a session last week and one of the fiddlers put down her bow, propped her fiddle on her lap and used her thumbnail to pick the fiddle on one tune, kind of like a Kenny Hall mandolin style. She really sounded good and even though it is was a big session, the sound cut through pretty well. Previous threads have tended to put down the idea of a fretless mando, but after hearing that, I think the idea might work. I would imagine the way to start would be to get a fiddle and play it with a pick until you get the fingering and tone right. If it works, then you could get a luthier to make a fretless mando if you wanted. I agree it should probably be single courses and I'm thinking it should use violin strings, not mando strings. Sustain would be an issues, so I see the body probably having similar characteristics to a scaled-down classical guitar. I would see the neck being similar to that on a violin, perhaps a little wider and with less radius. But I see it with a mandolin head and tuning keys. I hope someone tries it!

OT, but how 'bout a fretted fiddle?
    "I love the smell of my mandolin in the morning. The smell, you know ... that varnish smell. Smells like victory."

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by (Mr. Loar @ April 21 2008, 09:36)
    OT, but how 'bout a fretted fiddle?
    Already have one

Quote Originally Posted by (jflynnstl @ April 21 2008, 08:31)
    I was at a session last week and one of the fiddlers put down her bow, propped her fiddle on her lap and used her thumbnail to pick the fiddle on one tune, kind of like a Kenny Hall mandolin style. She really sounded good and even though it is was a big session, the sound cut through pretty well. Previous threads have tended to put down the idea of a fretless mando, but after hearing that, I think the idea might work. I would imagine the way to start would be to get a fiddle and play it with a pick until you get the fingering and tone right. If it works, then you could get a luthier to make a fretless mando if you wanted. I agree it should probably be single courses and I'm thinking it should use violin strings, not mando strings. Sustain would be an issues, so I see the body probably having similar characteristics to a scaled-down classical guitar. I would see the neck being similar to that on a violin, perhaps a little wider and with less radius. But I see it with a mandolin head and tuning keys. I hope someone tries it!
    I saw a clip of Vassar flat picking his fiddle once - with John Hartford I believe. It was incredible.
    Don

It's pizzicato, right? When the fiddle strings are plucked rather than bowed? So that's your "fretless mandolin" -- a violin.

Agree with Don on the single-string courses; otherwise, unless you were spot-on accurate with your fingers on every note, the two "unison" strings might sound dissonant. Having frets takes care of the fact that even a slight finger angle across the two strings of a course, would produce two different notes.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I converted my electric bass to fretless and didn't have any problems playing it. Since I play by ear and position it was just a matter of letting my fingers do what they do. On a mando though, with the small neck I don't know how well it'd work but of course a fiddle is fretless and it works just fine.