Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gibson mandolin repair and parts

Quote Originally Posted by
    as an aside they told me a new neck on an F-model will cost 3,000 to 3,500 so it might not have been a winning idea in any case
    I'm going to guess, push come to shove they would do the repair for anyone willing to pay enough. I'd like to know what the repair bill was on Monroe's mandolin. I'm sure there was an insurance company involved somewhere.

I sat and watched a Gibson Employee at Opry Mills rough out a mandolin neck with a Dremel tool. Some place along the line they should be able to do the work but I'm still guesing that Randy Wood or Gail Hester (as well as others) might know a little more about doing that repair and be a better place to take that mandolin.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Hi everybody I just wanted to help clear up a few things.
    I receive parts requests on a daily basis, warranty and non warranty, if it is a simple thing like a tuner button or screw it is no problem for me to send one out, but when I have requests for necks, finger boards, tops, backs, anything that is important to building an instrument I can only sell it if we install it, I have to verify that the part is going on an original Gibson instrument.
    Due to all of the copies that are being built these days, mandolins, banjo's, guitars and Dobro's Gibson policy does not let us sell parts.
    I'll do anything I can to help anyone that has a need for repair or Gibson parts, I am just limited in what I am allowed to do.
    If anybody has a need for repair or parts please don't hesitate to contact me I'll be glad to help anyway that I can.

Danny Roberts
    O.M. Repair Supervisor
    615/514/2200 ext 2265
    Gibson Original Acoustic Instruments
    http://www.gibson.com/products/oai/mandolins/

I will vouch for the fact that Danny does indeed provide the service he says he does. I got tuner parts for my F5G from Danny and a friend of mine was able to obtain a tailpiece.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

wow Danny joined in 2005 and this is his third post!

He sure does jabber jaw on here a lot don't he!

Don't he have better things to do I thought he was a busy man!

The thing about trying to install a completed fingerboard on an existing finished neck is the dimensions. If the board is only .001" too wide or too narrow that tiny little step will be obvious to the player. Even if you can't really see it you will be able to feel it.

There are a lot of parts that can't just be bolted or glued on a mandolin without any fitting.

If you need a new Gibson tailpiece for your Gibson mandolin you can get a new one. You can't get a New Old Stock tailpiece from 1923. That isn't how it works.

BTW, go to your local Volkswagen dealer and ask if they can service one of the old pre-1979 Beetles. They can't. They aren't allowed to. And no, they don't have the parts. Go to your Ford dealer and ask for replacement body panels for a Pinto. Nope, they don't have them. It goes on and on.

Blog Entries

Tom Tyrrell: BTW, go to your local Volkswagen dealer and ask if they can service one of the old pre-1979 Beetles. They can't. They aren't allowed to. And no, they don't have the parts. Go to your Ford dealer and ask for replacement body panels for a Pinto. Nope, they don't have them. It goes on and on.
    Yeah Tom -- but I was kinda hoping my Gibson would out last my Pinto!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by (danny roberts @ April 09 2008, 16:30)
    ...when I have requests for necks, finger boards, tops, backs, anything that is important to building an instrument I can only sell it if we install it, I have to verify that the part is going on an original Gibson instrument.
    Due to all of the copies that are being built these days, mandolins, banjo's, guitars and Dobro's Gibson policy does not let us sell parts.
    You know, I was going to say that one of the factors influencing Gibson's decision not to sell instrument parts, might well be the prevalence of copies.

I didn't post that opinion, 'cause I was afraid I'd be accused by the G-loyalists of "Gibson bashing."

Now that Mr. Roberts has weighed in with a similar opinion, I feel safe from that accusation.

I have a '20's GB-3 Gibson guitar-banjo, that I had Bernie Lehmann here in Rochester make a replica 5-string neck for. #He added a "Gibson" logo and "diamonds and squares" inlays such as a "ball-bearing" RB-3 would have had. #It's still a Gibson banjo, in my opinion, but availability of Gibson parts does make the work of the copyist or counterfeiter easier.

And, with four authentic Gibson mandolins, plus guitars, banjo etc., I feel I'm a fully credentialed G-loyalist.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by (MikeEdgerton @ April 09 2008, 15:58)
    I'd like to know what the repair bill was on Monroe's mandolin. I'm sure there was an insurance company involved somewhere.
    I always thought Monroe's repairs were "on the house" so to speak

Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Mandolin1944...you probably talked to the guys who do the electric guitars. Had you talked to Danny or Josh at Opry Mill repair (where all the mandolin repairs are done) you would have discovered they could make the neck for you. I am sure it would have cost 3K or more, but they could do it. They do them when needed for any vintage mandolin...or guitar...or . While it may or may not be worth the cost on a particular instrument, they can certainly do the job. The hard part is finding the right number to the right guys to find what can be done.

Gibson is concerned about consumers, but they are not in the retail parts business and probably never will be. While I was there we tried valiantly, but without success to bring a retail or consumer parts department into existence. After a good number of years of trying it became apparant that was not what they wanted and it has never been done. It is not to make it more difficult for the consumer, but to force the consumer to an authorized Gibson repair facility for repairs for the exact reasons Danny Roberts stated above. If you ever need repairs on any Gibson (or other brand) and you call Danny you will find they are capable of any job you throw at them.

Again, I am not in ANY way affiliated with the big G any more, but I do have more than a passing aquaintance with the way they operate.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

C'mon Danny, you can't send me a new top for my '21 F4? #
    Give these guys a break. You get the fingerboard from Steve Smith and get a builder to put it on, or have Gibson do it. Simple as that.

Blog Entries

Hans: C'mon Danny, you can't send me a new top for my '21 F4?
    And I will take the same for my 1919 F2 - I am seeing some sag start to set in! #Thanks in advance.

Hans: Give these guys a break. You get the fingerboard from Steve Smith and get a builder to put it on, or have Gibson do it. Simple as that.
    So Hans how much(estimate) would you have to charge to make the kind of repair that I described above? #New neck, headstock (with Gibson and flowerpot), and fingerboard (and #frets please) with all binding matched for a Montana Gibson (with bolt on straight slot neck)?

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I'm gonna need a top, back, sides, neck, fingerboard, bridge, tailpiece, tuners and some other stuff to get my original F5 back up to speed. Please be sure to grab the parts from the "1923" vault!

Quote Originally Posted by (cooper4205 @ April 09 2008, 23:08)
    Gibson is a business. If it took Charlie that much time I'm going to guess somebody paid for some part of it. I don't think Monroe was destitute at that point in time.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Gibson OAI has one of those odd problems of being both a retailer and a wholesaler. I suspect some of schizoid response to inquiries comes from this aspect.

I don't find unreasonable that Gibson can't reasonably fix obsolete products. That's not unusual. I've dealt with a surprising number of firms that don't even have specs or plans or marketing materials for models from the distant past - say 10 years ago. Aftermarket repair facilities exist, supporting this need.

For a neck Gibson no longer stocks, that's no big deal. An independent can simply make a neck from scratch to fit. That's not something a manufacturing firm is going to be able to efficiently do.

The Springfield Arms analogy above is right on target. Gibson sends out a Gibson fingerboard and a less skilled worker puts it on. Yuck.

Ford isn't going to fix a smashed up Ford truck. Ford isn't even going to sell you direct the parts to do so.

Eastman isn't going to sell you a neck. They don't have them here, and they're probably all custom fitted, being handmade.

Ramirez isn't going to sell you a guitar neck.

Colnago isn't going to sell you the lugset for a masterlite frame so you can repair it. Their US distributor isn't going to replace a downtube for you either.

Somehow Gibson seems to be held to a different standard. I suspect this is in part from their willingness to retail as well as wholesale. I wonder if their high repair prices are in part to discourage using them as a repair shop.
    Stephen Perry

Colnago isn't going to sell you the lugset for a masterlite frame so you can repair it. Their US distributor isn't going to replace a downtube for you either.
    For those unfamiliar with the brand or lingo this is a bicycle.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Thank you Mike!!!

Quote Originally Posted by (MikeEdgerton @ April 10 2008, 08:34)
    Quote Originally Posted by (cooper4205 @ April 09 2008, 23:08)
    Gibson is a business. If it took Charlie that much time I'm going to guess somebody paid for some part of it. I don't think Monroe was destitute at that point in time.
    I pretty sure he wasn't charged for it. I found some info on it from a 1986 article in the Tennessean about the repairs. It seems like the second one took a while because the tone bars were damaged and Derrington had other projects that he had to neglect while tending to Bill's main mandolin.

As far as cost, I think fixing it for free was a good PR move for Gibson and a way to keep their most treasured mandolin player happy. In an article in Frets about the ordeal, it seems they had promised Bill they would do all of the repairs on his instruments for free when they first worked on his mandolin in 1980 and presented him with an F5-L (the first one I think?)

February 25, 1986 was the day that the company (Gibson) would return Bill Monroe's Gibson "Lloyd Loar" F5, completely restored, to him. For this major restoration job, they charged him nothing

and

The job on the first mandolin alone would consume three months of 40-hour weeks for Derrington. The work was to be paid for by Gibson

this is from the Frets article about Bill's F5

But again, enter Gibson. The company volunteered to see if -- at its own expense -- it could restore the broken instruments
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

I'm shocked.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I'm betting that Cooper is correct concerning the repair of the famous Monroe Loar...since THAT mandolin and Mr. Monroe himself had an enormous influence on the popularity of Gibson mandolins. Though a time consuming project to say the least, it'd be a wise business decision for them I believe. You wouldn't want Mr. Monroe to dig out his pocket knife again and carve the Gibson name from the headstock.

Quote Originally Posted by (Mandolin1944 @ April 10 2008, 06:25)
    So Hans how much(estimate) would you have to charge to make the kind of repair that I described above? #New neck, headstock (with Gibson and flowerpot), and fingerboard (and #frets please) with all binding matched for a Montana Gibson (with bolt on straight slot neck)?
    You ain't gonna get me to make a new neck for your Gibson...

Quote Originally Posted by (Bitterbrush @ April 10 2008, 10:46)
    I'm betting that Cooper is correct concerning the repair of the famous Monroe Loar...since THAT mandolin and Mr. Monroe himself had an enormous influence on the popularity of Gibson mandolins. #Though a time consuming project to say the least, it'd be a wise business decision for them I believe. #You wouldn't want Mr. Monroe to dig out his pocket knife again and carve the Gibson name from the headstock.
    But this seems such a stark contrast to the company that doesn't care enough for it's customers to have a parts department or a company that is so ungrateful to Bill that they don't buy his mandolin and put it on display. I'm shocked that they would be so in tune to his contribution that they would spend a year or so (give or take) of Charlie's salary to repair his mandolin.

Or maybe Gibson isn't the evil empire after all.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Mike,
    I'd venture to say you're correct as well

Henry didn't buy Gibson until January 1986. The repairs to Bill's mandolin were pretty much done by then so all he could do was grab the PR.

Quote Originally Posted by (Mandolin1944 @ April 09 2008, 06:20)
    It is good the original owners of Gibson mandolins are supported - but does it not diminish the value of your Gibson vis a vis your selling it when the potential buyer is aware of the company policy towards the second and subsequent owners of this fine instrument?
    This is the very reason that I purchased my new (recently discontinued) Gibson rather than purchase a good used one. The price would have been about the same but my instrument is registered with Gibson; I can have original owner support if I need it.

The opinions expressed in this thread have been interesting to me, to say the least. So, I'd like to offer my own. The Gibson company, as a company, bears little relationship to the original business started by Orville Gibson. There have been changes of ownership, acquisition/mergers with other companies,acquisition of other brands, etc. When companies change ownership they are not necessarily obliged to continue the policies and obligations of the predecessor companies. In many cases, the acquiring company is primarily obtaining the right to a brand and access to customers of the predecessor company. So when we talk of "Gibson" today,it might be wise to keep in mind that today's Gibson is not your father's or grandfather's Gibson. Personally, I think they do a good job delivering on the Gibson brand promise in the areas I'm familiar with: mandolins and banjos. From what I've read, the employees of Gibson's OAI divison seem to really care about and value the tradition of the Gibson brand and assist customers in any way they can.
    By way of contrast, I have on my desk a rotary dial phone manufactured by Western Electric for the Bell System companies in the 1930's. What do you think are the chances that I could call the current AT&T (whose predecessor company owned Western Electric) and obtain a replacement handset or even a reach a person who cared?
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA