Thread: New kid on the block

Hello all!
    I wasn't sure where to introduce myself so I thought I would just start here. I am more of a guitar player than a mandolinist but I'm certainly enthusiastic about it. I've been sort of an amateur mandolin admirer since I saw one of the masters, Bill Monroe, at a place called the Ash Grove in L.A. (now gone) He played there now and then and I was fortunate to see him. IIRC, he had the famous mandolin with him that had the Gibson logo removed.

I have three mandolins. One is a Martin Model A that my mother bought me in the early 1960's. I got that the week I saw Bill Monroe, LOL!

I also was fortunate enough to inherit three instruments from my Uncle in Columbus, Ohio around 1983. One is a 1923 Gibson TB-4 tenor banjo. The other two are a 1949 Gibson F-12 that was unplayed when I received it and the last is a 1917 Gibson Model A-3. I'm self-taught on the banjo and mandolin so I doubt I will be going on the road any time soon. Suffice it to say that I make up for lack of skill with my enthusiasm. LOL.

I wonder also. Is there a buy and sell section in this website. I'd like to see it if there is.

Regards to all. I feel that I will learn a lot listening to you all.

Regards,
    zigeuner (German for Gypsy....a nickname I got from my Harley-riding friends) #

1917 Gibson A-3, '64 Martin A, 2016 Rhodes F5R.

Welcome to the Cafe. Everything you wanted to know about the mandolin, and then some, can be found here. This is a great place - you can talk to both beginners and pros, builders, luthiers, and other great sources of information.

Registered User Tracy Ballinger's Avatar

Welcome, welcome! You'll learn more than you ever thought there was to know here.

Yes, there is a Classifieds section. At the top left of the screen, 2 lines below the 'Mandolin Cafe' logo, it says
    >Mandolin Cafe Home and then Classifieds

Have fun perusing (and drooling!) over the many fine instruments changing hands!

Tracy

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Are you kidding me? Most of us dream about getting ONE of those mandos, and you got THREE?

You are a very lucky person!

Living’ in the Mitten

Quote Originally Posted by (mad4mandos @ Mar. 31 2008, 10:36)
    Are you kidding me? Most of us dream about getting ONE of those mandos, and you got THREE?

You are a very lucky person!
    Yes, I felt very lucky to get the ones I Have. I treasure them all and nowadays, they have gotten so expensive that I doubt I could afford even one good one! For example, the Martin Model A was $84.50 new. Martin was practically giving them away in 1964!

Thanks for the responses. I'll certainly enjoy the many things I can learn here.

Regards!

Z # #

The Ash Grove? Did you happen to see Dave Alvin hanging out there when he was a kid? Love Dave's album titled "Ashgrove".

Anyway, welcome to the Cafe! It's a great resource for increasing your knowledge of mandolin-related topics and feeding your enthusiasm. Post some pics of your mandos when you get some time. I know plenty of people would love to see those beauties.
    '08 Weber Fern 'Old Wood' Red Spruce

Welcome you got some nice instruments. And yes there is the Cafe classifieds. Lots of great instruments going through there and you never hear of anyone getting ripped off either. At least I never heard of any.

Check out the tab theres tons of it on the home page.

Quote Originally Posted by (ChicoBluegrassFan @ Mar. 31 2008, 14:01)
    The Ash Grove? #Did you happen to see Dave Alvin hanging out there when he was a kid? #Love Dave's album titled "Ashgrove".

Anyway, welcome to the Cafe! #It's a great resource for increasing your knowledge of mandolin-related topics and feeding your enthusiasm. #Post some pics of your mandos when you get some time. #I know plenty of people would love to see those beauties.
    No, I never saw Dave Alvin there. I did see nearly every major guitar star and some mandolinists there in the 1960's when it was going strong. It burned out in the 70's after I moved to Northern California.

It could be that the reference to Ash Grove on his recording is a reference to another historic place. I will post picutures when I get a new camera shortly. My old Nikon 990 lost its built-in flash recently and they want more than it's worth to even look at it.

Regards #