Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Index finger vs. table saw

This past weekend I was ripping a fairly narrow piece of spruce for some dreadnaught X-braces on my table saw. I was using a push stick from the back side with my right hand and steadying the side of the wood with my left hand. I was concerned about making sure that the small piece did not kick back and for some stupid reason moved the index finger of my left hand into the blade. Luckily, I had set the depth of the blade properly and it just cleared the stock so the cut wasnt nearly as bad as it could have been. A trip to the emergency room, 7 stitches and a lesson learned, I am back in the shop but I just wanted to post this as a warning to all the builders on the cafe.

Like most of you I am sure, I have grown up around woodworking machines and was taught by my father and his father that they must be respected. I believe however its possible to create a very dangerous situation when you fall into a comfort zone with your machines and then become careless. This is without a doubt what happened to me.

The picture I have posted is of a small drop of blood on my workbench that is directly behind my table saw and will be left "as is" in my shop to serve as a reminder to me in the future. I thought perhaps the picture may also remind some you folks to also think twice before flipping the "on" switch.

thks, ken hooper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stitch4__Small_.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	30686  

Glad to hear you still have all your digits. Thanks for the words of advice. For me all power tools are scarry, I like using hand tools whenever possible.
    Mike Lettieri
    AKA Mandolinmyster

Glad you didn't get it worse than you did!
    A "wood shop" teacher once told me that the two groups of people most often injured by power tools are the young and inexperienced, and the old and experienced-to-the-point-of-carelessness.
    After setting up a tool for a job, I often stop and count my fingers, make the cut, then count them again. It's just a way of keeping myself thinking.

I feel your pain, having just recently been to the ER as well. I did not cut it on a machine this time, but it was from a stupid mistake. Short cuts and not taking time to think things through will always catch up with you sooner or later.

My ER trip was $852. Maybe that will be a good reminder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hand.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	30687  

Quote Originally Posted by (sunburst @ Mar. 18 2008, 22:11)
    A "wood shop" teacher once told me that the two groups of people most often injured by power tools are the young and inexperienced, and the old and experienced-to-the-point-of-carelessness.
    I'll say Amen to that. My step-father was a cabinet maker. He preached safety to me every time I was doing anything on any of the tools in the shop. One day he rushed in and needed to use a table saw that I was using. I shut it down and moved away and then I saw him reach down and try to stop the blade with his fingers like he was a human disk brake or something. He pretty much took the ends off two fingers. He would have killed me if he'd seen me do something like that.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Ken and Doug
    Sorry to see the results of not paying enough atention. I did the same back in Dec. with a screwdriver in my palm. Definitely a leason to be learned in paying close attention to what we do and not allow ourselves to be distracted when working.

John
    The same can be said for flying R/C planes. I was told the two times you will crash is when you are first learning, and when you get better and get too confident. Like so many other things in life, the situation may be different, but the story stays the same.

Eric
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

I respect that tool more than any other. I always aim it where any kickback would do the least damage and then I don't go there. I have had that same impulse (to grab the off cut) many times and just remind myself I can cut more but I can't grow more. I am of the "raise it high" school, BTW. A blade that cuts through the wood at sharp angles and is only near parallel high above it is far less likely to kickback. John has it right (as usual). The two tools that I injure myself the most with are the two I am most comfortable with - one is hand held blades and the other is the scroll saw (oddly, I don't own one right now). There are some cuts I have done so many times that letting the blade brush a finger is no big deal until I am off on the approach angle ever so slightly and @#$%^! that hurt...
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

Glad to hear it didn't come out worse. It's a scary thing. I cut my left index finger right down the middle on a table saw a year ago. Wood kicked back and pulled it into the blade. It's still crazy to me how the human body can bounce back from those things. I thought my guitar (at the time) playing was over for good. I'd like to see pictures if you've got them? I know, I'm a freak. dylanscott@hotmail.com
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

-CS Lewis

www.bikepikespeak.com

Always heed that inner voice that says "this is not quite safe" because when you hear it, it speaks the truth. It may take longer to figure out a safer procedure, change the setup or build a jig, but it's always worth it.
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA

Blog Entries

I'm glad you're not hurt as bad as it could have been. I also hope you heal fully and quickly. I'm not a handy builder guy, although I'm fascinated by builders and their skills. Your blood drop warning reminds me of a funny/serious sign I saw outside various spectrophotometry labs in school and at NIST, "Don't look into laser with remaining good eye."

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I spent a whole afternoon at the basement a couple of weeks ago, cutting blocks and sides and molds and all sorts of things. I finally decided that it was time to stop, as I was getting tired and it was taking a lot of effort to keep my focus. I was all sorts of proud of myself for doing the responsible thing. Then half an hour later I chopped the tip of my index finger off while cutting up potatoes for dinner.

I put the flap of skin back on and it healed underneath it without stitches, but it's still too sore for me to be able to fret with it. Sure made my finger hurt, but that's nothing compared to the beating my ego took.

/Magnus

thanks for that reminder ken. glad to hear just a few weeks back, someome was cutting braces in the bandsaw behind me so i didn't see, but i certainly heard what happened. it was pretty awful. a fellow luthier was cutting braces, the wood wouldn't give, and then whoosh! it went through taking his hand along for the ride. as i've read all over this thread, he was actually the most experienced of all in the shop, a cabinet-maker and teacher.

we were all shaken up. there was blood on the shop floor and in the band saw. he escaped with 10 stitches, but that's 10 stitches too many for me. i catch myself sometimes, zoning out cutting something. it's so dangerous to get comfortable or bored for that matter.

i did a really dopey thing a month ago, idly chiselling something, paying no attention whatsoever, i dog-chiselled my thumb. man, it killed. tiny cut, but really deep. a fraction from my tendon apparently. thumb still hurts. i was having a daydream.
    poe #27
    collings mt custom
    various guitars

Like Andy, I usually keep my blade high because of the much lessened kickback tendency. That, and the fact there are far less teeth engaged in the wood at any given time, so less strain, more power in the cut.

Yup. It does take special concentration to do and I can't always do it that way, but whatever.

Ron

My wife says I don't pay enough attention to what she says....
    (Or something like that...)

Blog Entries

Hey, lets be carefull out there!!!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

There is a saying for sailors, that I've adapted:

"eternal vigilance is the price of safety"

We must all remember to say this, along with a prayer, as we enter the shop.

That said, I've cut myself many more times in the kitchen.

Waiting to buy a tablesaw till you're a paranoid 50 yr old is a goood way to be safe, I have an assortment of 2-3 foot long push sticks after having played with several retired contractor OT fiddlers who were missing parts. Fiddlemaker Charlie Kennedy from Az sawed of a couple of tips several years ago, it actually improved his fiddlin since the eraser tips partially corrected an intonation problem and he actually practiced once in a while!

All of those tablesaw stories make my gut cringe!!!!! I've only got one reponse: SAWSTOP! SAWSTOP! SAWSTOP!!!!! I had one of these in my old shop and am getting another one soon this year. Not only do they have an amazing protective mechanism against table saw incidents, but I'm of the overall impression that they are a superior machine. I traded my powermatic 66 for one( the big boy with the 5 hp motor and all the upgrades) and felt I made a great choice.

You can read a full review I wrote on one of these machines in American Lutherie magazine from about two years ago. Not only did I put it throught the paces hard, but I also set it off during the review and still have all of my happy digits!

j.
    www.condino.com

I'm glad your injury was minimal... good job keeping the blade exposure down. There's nothing like that sick feeling you get when you feel that buzz of a saw blade against your finger tip. Luckily for me I've only done that once a long time ago and it just barely nicked the tip. It scared the hell out of me, and I've since seen some really ugly shaper and jointer injuries since then, not to mention taking a kid to the hospital with broken ribs due to a kickback.

I like making pushsticks from scraps of wood rather than buying commercial plastic or aluminum gadgets because I don't worry about running them through the blade if that's what I need to do to hold the work. The style I use on narrow stock is basically just a narrow board that rests on top of the work and has a stop on the near end to keep the work piece from sliding backward. It's low enough that I can hook my pinky and sometimes ring fingers over the top of the fence so if things go flying I will (hopefully) have my weight on the fence.

From your description it sounds like you may have been trying to keep the far end of the work against the fence. Using a feather board is good for that, but I'm usually too lazy to set one up so I keep a second stick on hand to hold the far end against the fence. Of course a blade guard is a good idea, but like most folks mine is not on my Delta saw because for most operations I find it so cumbersome to use that I just leave it off... not good. I could definitely improve my work hold downs on the machines.

I hope your finger heals up quickly and completely.

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Blog Entries

I saw a safety poster in a warehouse quite a few years that has stuck with me. It was about wearing safety glasses. It said, something like, you can eat with false teeth and you can walk with a wooden leg----but, you can't see with a glass eye.

Thanks guys for all the well wishes on my recovery. Surprisingly, it isnt as sore as I thought it would be and I should be back picking my mandolin in the next day or 2. Im planning on taking the stitches out Friday or Sat.
    I believe this post has accomplished one good thing and that is to create so much discussion on Shop Safety and I personally have gotten alot out of the suggestions made so far. I am seriously going to check into the SAWSTOP as Mr. James Condino mentioned...

ken

My last trip to the ER for stitches was from a hand saw (Zeta blade from Tashiro; man those things are sharp!), late at night after my daughter had told me it was getting too late and I needed to come in before I hurt myself. She has never let me live that down. They really like it when they are right and you are wrong...

Anyway, I sometimes think hand tools have a greater risk of incidents happening (event though they are likely not to be as severe) because we aren't as fearful of them.

"First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

Quote Originally Posted by (bkhooper @ Mar. 19 2008, 11:31)
    I am seriously going to check into the SAWSTOP as Mr. James Condino mentioned...
    The SawStop saw is very cool technology. I'd like to check out one of their saws. I wish you could buy the mechanism as a retrofit for other tools, but last I saw you could not. I think it would be pretty hard to retrofit anyway to make it as effective, but I'd like to see it on a jointer.

pd

"... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Don't get compacent around bandsaws either. I did a nice job with one on the end of my right thumb about 20 years ago. I sliced it right to the bone. Stitches took care of it, but fast reflexes on my part kept the tip of my thumb from being removed.

Quote Originally Posted by (8ch(pl) @ Mar. 19 2008, 14:28)
    Don't get complacent around bandsaws either. #I did a nice job with one on the end of my right thumb about 20 years ago. #I sliced it right to the bone. Stitches took care of it, but fast reflexes on my part kept the tip of my thumb from being removed.
    Last night I took my little 9" bandsaw to a Y-Guides meeting so the dads could cut out wings and beaks while the boys painted their blocks for our tribe totem pole. Some of the inexperienced guys were scaring the heck out of me. No one got hurt, but one guy came really close. He kept binding and trying to back out and pulled the blade off track 4 or 5 times. I told him about stopping it and using scrap to hold the blade against the guides while he backed it out. He tried that the next time except he forgot the part about turning it off, so as soon as he had backed it up enough to unbind, the blade started moving again and cutting into the scrap. He pulled away in time(popping the blade off the track again), but the scrap was cut almost the way through; the blade had come within maybe 1/16" of his thumb.

Charlie "Bird" Parker

We have two Sawstops in the shop where I work. They were bought as the result of a close call, cut finger, but not too bad, and nothing lost. One of the sawstops was activated about a week after installation, to the great relief of the worker.

I don't have a table-saw in my own instrument shop, don't want one either.