Thread: Tuning mandolin

Greetings All!

I am a beginner and really ignorant on most of this stuff so far. I am working on changing that.

I have read a couple of different places about "Check the intonation by your harmonics at the 12th fret and compare to the actual fretted note at the 12th note."

What exactly does this mean, how do you check the harmonics at the 12th fret.

My apologies for asking a question that may seem very simple to most.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

The string should register the same tone at the twelfth fret as it does when unfretted but exactly one octave higher. Exactly.
    If it is sharp at the twelfth fret, the bridge is too close to the nut. Vice versa if flat.
    The way to intonate a mandolin is to tune the open (unfretted) G string. Then check it at the twelfth fret. Adjust the bridge. Do the same thing for the E string. When you have both right, the rest of the strings will be as close as they can get.
    Make sure the bridge is set solidly on the top and is facing the correct direction. Loosen the strings before you move it.
    It's a pain, but once you get it, you got it unless you change string diameters.
    Hope this helps.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

That is what I thought it meant...

Thanks for the clarification and explanation, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by (mdmaynard @ Mar. 13 2008, 11:24)
    What exactly does this mean, how do you check the harmonics at the 12th fret.
    By that, people usually mean to chime the octave harmonic of the strings. You place your finger lightly on the string, right above the 12th fret, pick the string with your finger there, then quickly remove your finger. The resulting "chime" or bell like sound you hear is the string vibrating in halves without the fundamental note, which is the note the string makes as it vibrates as a whole.
    It is a way to check the intonation without having to hear the octave, and it seems to be easier for some people. The chime should be the exact same note as the string fretted at the 12th fret.

Hi mdmaynard,
    Take a look at this web page. It refers to a guitar so bear that in mind when trying to find the '6th' string on your mandolin but the process is the same for both instruments.

http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/...ural/index.php

What they have said.

I do the 3 F thing: Fretted note Flat, move the bridge Forward (toward the nut).