Thread: Nouveau gibson f5?

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Maybe I'm just out of the loop but this is a "Gibson" I haven't seen yet.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Mandolin-Nouveau_W0QQitemZ130204924116QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10 179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrd
    Z1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Nouveau F5</a>

What's the word on this thing?
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

You could do a search.

Basically Gibson imported instruments for a while under the Nouveau name. The c-7 was one of the models. They weren't popular and the line was dropped.

You can check out these threads and learn even more about them.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I think the Mandolin Cafe needs a wiki page. It would be useful tool to have for when someone replies with the "you could do a search" response. People could just search the wiki for what they are looking for and others could contribute to the wiki and use existing posts as citations for submitted content. Since the FAQ kind of died off a few years ago I think a wiki would be great source for those looking for information about a particular kind of mandolin, provided people were willing to contribute and I think many probably would.

If folks don't use search I don't think they'd page through a wiki, just my two cents. Some things are a bit harder to search for than others, some are simple searches.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by
    JeffS: I think the Mandolin Cafe needs a wiki page.
    Mike I have had similar thoughts -- mine along the idea of a "Basic Mandolin Cafe Info" section that summarizes topics like keep coming up from #newbies. #

(Just to be up-front -- I think newbies are great because they are the life blood of the site -- so they are most welcome in my opinion).

But this kind of area might actually be a benefit to them and help them get started on the Cafe.

Especially if they are hesitant or nervous about asking "obvious" questions. #Like:

what is are differences between F-style and A-style in sound?

what are the advantages of f-holes versus oval holes?

or some general topics summarized -- or at at least introduced -- like a general primer on picks, strings, fret thickness, flat vs. radiused finger board, flat top versus carved, bowl back versus flat back, fingerboard extensions, tuners, varnish versus lacquer etc.

how can I find the best mandolin for $500?

references to repair sites for buzzing, loose binding, other problems...

and even a primer on how to use the serach engine most effectively etc.

Where can I find tab for...etc.

Just a thought. But I am sure there are folks out there who would actually enjoy writing stuff like that.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I find that when I search for something I get to many answers that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for. I think the search engine needs to be fine tuned so it has more specific responses.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

You can use boolean logic to limit the number of hits on multiple work searches.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (jimmacd @ Mar. 12 2008, 08:43)
    You can use boolean logic to limit the number of hits on multiple work searches.
    Just what is that and how does one acquire boolean logic?

Blog Entries

How many new members start their visit in the Glossary or the FAQ? I suspect not many (if many are like me!). Many of Mandolin1944's questions are already answered there.

Without an overhaul of the software running the Café, I wonder if Scott/Dan could implement a Wiki like thing (what do I know?).

I feel one of the hallmarks of this community is that we patiently re-answer these questions for new people all the time. Interstingly, some of the questions answers change over time (best for $$) or often lead down intersting tangents (thread topic discipline isn't too tight!) where I learn something kind of related but very interesting when we revisit the older questions again and again.

I like to use Wiki but I prefer the community here more.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

The search function is what it is. Scott didn't create the message board software, although Scott has certainly customized it in his own way. It can't necessarily be fine tuned, only the users can be and honestly, by looking at the options you can generally find what you're looking for. I'm dumber than dirt and if I can figure it out anyone can.

The first thing to learn is the "AND" operator. An example would be search for J-74 AND EXP-74. The search function is then looking for both of those search terms in the same message or thread. To refine that select Titles Only and you have a better chance of finding a thread that actually pertains to what you're looking for. Search all forums to begin with. Finally, select This Month and Older to get the largest sampling. If you find nothing in that search then you can try searching the Messages and the Titles but you may get more messages than you want to digest.

Much of the art of searching the cafe has to do with refining the search term and narrowing the scope of the search. If you're looking for information about Gibson A styles and you enter the term Gibson I can guarantee you'll get more hits than you want. If you happen to be looking for information on vintage Gibson A Styles then you can narrow the search to the vintage section only.

The search function is by no means perfect but I daily find threads that answer questions and provide additional information.

The cafe does contain a FAQ page as well as a Glossary. Check out this link.

As far as a Wiki that answered the question “What is the best mandolin under $500.00?”, I can't imagine even going there. That question has been asked in one way or another almost weekly for the last few years and the answer constantly changes. That is one of those things that has to stay dynamic. If there was a thread a week earlier I might point to that but I'd never point to one from 6 months ago.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by (fredfrank @ Mar. 12 2008, 05:50)
    Quote Originally Posted by (jimmacd @ Mar. 12 2008, 08:43)
    Just what is that and how does one acquire boolean logic?
    Using boolean operators in your search such as AND and OR, which are available free on most qwerty keyboards.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

I am not sure about boolean logic, but I find that some experimentation can be helpful. #When I get too many answers I will limit to titles only. #That will eliminate answers that just use the word in a response, but does not focus on the topic. #Example, a thread may mention that a particular instrument has red spruce and then moves on to other qualities so is not really about red spruce. #You are more likely to get conversation about red spruce if you find it in the title. #If you put "red spruce" in search, you will get threads that include all issues with red, for example red picks, and all issues with spruce. #If you put "red and spruce" it will only include threads that have both red and spruce in thread, giving a fewer responses and more likely to be of interest. #Play with it and you will get better responses. #Hope this helps. #I will leave the boolean logic issue to the more educated of us to deal with.
    Tony

Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

With all that said, there are a few things on the FAQ that need to be addressed. According to the "What do the Gibson model numbers stand for?" section B stands for Banjo. I had three guitars in the 60's that had model numbers that started with B. I never realized they were actually banjos.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by (red7flag @ Mar. 12 2008, 09:12)
    If you put "red spruce" in search, you will get threads that include all issues with red, for example red picks, and all issues with spruce. #If you put "red and spruce" it will only include threads that have both red and spruce in thread, giving a fewer responses and more likely to be of interest...I will leave the boolean logic issue to the more educated of us to deal with.
    You just used Boolean Logic without knowing it.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber