Thread: What if i had kept my old alvarez?

I was looking at mandolins on Ebay and saw a couple of Alvarez mandolins from the 80s. I had one in the late 70's that lasted until I got my Gibson in 1984. Does anyone have an Alvarez from back then, and, if so, how does it sound now after many years? Has it held up well?
    Daniel Kaufman

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I think some were much better then others (or the reverse if you are a half-empty kind of guy). I had one (MIJ) where the top was WAY too thick and the sound was just not there. I've had and sold others that were just fine - really nice actually.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I have a 1976 F style MIJ Alvarez. It does not have the deep chop that better quality mandolins have but it plays like a dream. The neck is small and the strings are set up real low. It is very easy to play.

Just like what Fatt-Dad says, the top is a little thick and that gives it a mellow, somewhat thin, sound. I use it when I travel and play it from time to time. I paid $175 for it about three years ago...bought it from a friend that took it on trade for some plumbing work. He just wanted his money from the job.

If anyone posting knows what these are worth I would like to hear. I don't plan on selling it and keep it for a second mandolin.
    1991 Flatiron Festival
    2010 Morgan Monroe MDM 2
    1997 Martin D-35
    2012 Taylor 410CE LTD
    1977 Fender F-65

I got mine new in June 1975, I has just out of high school and working at Homespun Music, What a great job! anyway, Mine has been played pretty hard through the time and had MONSTER heavy gauge strings for a while and then back to stock Mediums, top has slightly sunk but no worries, I watch it. There are several people that have made great positive noise about it's sound. When I get my new one from Billbows (What is the temp. in Hades getting to?) this will get the "Get up John" tuning and I'll finally really learn that tune! I have no plans of ever parting with this one...I suppose it may go on loan to my grandchildren should they show interest.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett