Thread: (?) old resophonic mandolin made by dobro

Exclamation

Ive got this mandolin dobro crossbreed and its in wonderful shape but what genre is it gonna fit in?

Wherever you want! My old Dobro mandolin has a neat ringy, chimey sound that works well on slower pieces, backing up vocals, etc. (I'm assuming you have a "Dobro" style instrument, with a spider bridge, rather than a "National" style, with the "biscuit" bridge.) The Dobro-style instruments aren't really loud, and don't cut through for styles like bluegrass, but they have a wonderful, distinctive voice.

National-style mandolins, on the other hand, are loud as you'd like, and are really good for blues, and for any style where you don't mind a raucous, metallic voice.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I don't think it will fit in any genre! You should be ashamed to admit you own one....I'll save you the embarrasment by buying from you at a very reasonable price. You'll thank me later.
    '84 Flatiron A5-1 '85 Kentucky KM1500 '86 Flatiron a5-jr '27 Gibson A-jr '88 Flatiron Cadet..MAS anyone?

Maybe a genre combining french romanticism, sousa's marches, and ragtime?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks for the replies fellas! This is in fact a "Dobro" brand instrument with the spider bridge,it
    is a beautiful instrument with sunburst finish and 3pc F holes on the face at the shoulders.I have cross referenced all I know to (serial numbers) in attempts to age this thing but have come up empty, any suggestions? Id like to get some insurance on it whether I trade it off or tote it to jams so any help would be appreciated. Pam

Would like opinion from you mandolin extroidinaires...
    To keep it or not to keep it, that is the question.
    Dont know 'bout yall but I dont get stuff like this in my hands too often and they just arent making no more of them so, should I or shouldnt I trade this for something I can feel better about toting around? I have the chance to trade for something else but 'am unsure . . .

I've seen a few, the need for neck reset is not un common .
    if its playable and comfortable to do so , I'd think it would be a good thing to bring to an acoustic Jam, odds are rather good that you would be heard clearly.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I think you're right !

Waiting for "sumibuilt" to come on line and make me an offer on this ole thing... Id like another (normal) run-o-the mill player I do believe instead of dealing with the unknown! Lifes full of enough of that already if you catch my drift

Pam, not sure you're making the right decision -- to sell it because it's "unknown" and you're not sure how you'll use it. #As you said, they don't make Dobro mandolins any more, and they're almost certain to increase in value if only because they're relatively rare. #And they sound unique, not like standard wooden mandolins and not like the National-style instruments with the "biscuit" bridges.

Dobro (and National, for that matter) often didn't use the best of woods in their instruments. #I've needed a neck reset on my Dobro mandolin, and my repair guy said the neck block was made from the softest wood he'd seen -- "almost like balsa wood," he said, though I believe from reading other threads on the Cafe that it was probably poplar. #But whatever was wrong was definitely fixable, and not at an exorbitant price, either.

You can get a "normal, run-of-the-mill player" anytime, anywhere. #You aren't going to see many others like the one you have. #Further down the line I do believe you'll miss having access to that unique sound. #I don't play my Dobro mandolin all that much on an everyday basis, but I'm sure not gonna part with it.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Many thanks to everyone who responded as I apprecaite your input Mr. Hopkins I will strongly consider your advise before doing anything with this!