Thread: New instruments

As many of you can note, my stable of instruments has changed a great deal in the last couple of months and my playing has changes as a result. #I find that I have three instruments that tend to be focused and are delicate in sound: the Collings, Weber and Lebeda. #I find that I am playing less grass and more folk, Celtic and fiddle music and am really focused on getting individual notes clear. #These instruments, with a delicate hand, really shine. #My writing has focused more on slower more expressive meledies and have written a number of waltzes. #Part of this I think is part of the grieving with the loss of my mother at Christmas time. #Should any one want me to send them a copy of a waltz I just recorded for my mom called Mary's Last Waltz, just send me an PM and I will send it to you. #I guess that I am using playing as therapy, well, I guess I always did, just now for a specific reason. #
    Tony

Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Blog Entries

I agree with you on this one for sure Tony. I think it may be the reason I trade mandos occaisionally to get a different feel and they inspire me to new heights. Sorry about your mom. I will PM you, would love to hear the Waltz. The best music comes from real people, real feelings and real life. Keep playing and writing, I'm sure your mom would be proud!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Hi Tony
    I did a similar thing when my grandmother died I went through some of the scotish airs and laments on fiddle it seemed to sooth me until a time when I sort of sighed and started on a reel. May this be a time of healing and joy as you celebrate the life of your mother. As for writing I think that inspiration has to come out of something real in our lives grief or joy or even that strange mixture of both. With out that sort of self reflection or self awareness it seems to me that the things of life, music, art and dare I say sex are empty of the immense posibility that is inherent in just being human.
    Grace & Peace
    Craig+
    Craig

Tony -

That waltz is truly moving. Well written and played.

And I agree with the expressiveness of the medium. Someone once told me that the greatest thing about mandolins is that they can sound like either angels laughing or angels crying. I always felt that description was aimed at the unique delicacy that the mandolin possesses. Not being a grasser, your OP is pretty much my attitude about these wonderful instruments.

What mando did you use on the waltz MP3? If fits perfectly.

John

Tony, you have my condolences. I'd very much like to hear the tune that you wrote. I sent a PM with my address.

Emotional times are a real source of creativity. I lost my mother in '93, and at that same time lots of things bad things happened all at once. It was hard, and I know that God was the only One who got me through. Music was a therapy that turned out to be one of the best ways that I was able to feel the support that was there.

God bless you and comfort you. I will say a prayer for you.

Dave
    If you always do what you always did,
    you always get what you always got.

Tony:
    I too have been thru the loss of my parents. My condolences to you.

I PM'ed you for your waltz. Two of mine are at my myspace page below.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Tony,

The waltz is beautiful and moving. I really like the celtic vibe. The melody is strong and original and the backup playing is really cool sounding. I would also like to know what instruments you used on that.

Thanks for sharing!
    Ken
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Thank you all for the positive comments. I tried the Stanley, Collings and Weber, but with the strong bass line the guitarist used, the Weber was by far the most complimentary and I used the Weber in the recording. I found that when playing that piece solo the Collings sounds best.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Tony -

Well, in my opinion, you made the right choice. It's a stunning looking instrument, and apparently a great sounding one as well. I wouldn't mind owning one of those myself.

Is there a pick-up on it? Or did you just mike it? Whatever you did, it worked.

John

Was recorded with a Zoom H2, not electrified.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172