Thread: Advice for rank beginner

Hi All:

A friend of mine wants to learn how to play the mandolin. I think that she has the desire, but at almost 50 years of age has never touched *any* musicial instrumet. So she needs to learn many things that I (and I suspect many) people might take for granted, such as how to hold the mandolin, what frets are, what a scale is, why it has 8 strings, and many more questions.

I guess my question is: Is there instructional material available at this level?

I really want to help her, but I need some guidenece myself. I've never taught a rank beginner before. Any tips or guidence would be greatly appreciated.

BTW...I tired the search function, but it didn't seem to work...(This could be a function of my computer...it just locks up)

Thanks again, and best regards to everyone.

Jim Rollins

My first instruction material was "Intro to Mandolin" by Mickey Cochran. I think it will answer all her questions about the mandolin.

For a book/CD I liked Greg Horne's "Beginning Mandolin". It is really the most definitive book on mandolin instruction I've found. He really builds a solid foundation and covers different styles to get started in playing the mandolin.
    Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

i'll second the greg horne book. but really any basic beginner book will do. in the mean time just show her some basics. make sure she's got a srap and is comfortable. explain to her that she's going to have to build up tiny muscles in her forearms, hands, and fingers and that this takes a couple of weeks. show her an open g chord and start stumming away together. when i first got interested in guitar, an older kid down the sreet from me showed me an open e chord and i hacked away at that thing by itself for weeks and loved every minute of it. just being able to make a coherant sound was enough to keep me motivated. i guess the point is to just show her something. i think chords are a good start because they provide some instant gratification which is important in these early stages.

Hi Flatthead,

Perhaps I can help. Last year at the age of 57, I began playing. I had never played a stringed instrument before. I did play saxophone in the jr. high band 45 years ago. So I had limited musical experience, but not much, especially that I can remember.

I taught my self to play using a book called "Mandolin Primer for Beginners" by Bert Casey. It comes with a CD and cost $14.95. There is also a companion DVD for $14.95. Get both, as the DVD really makes the book come alive. Topics include, "Parts of the Mandolin", "Holding the Mandolin", Tuning the Mandolin", "Using the Pick", Right and Left Hand Position", "Tablature", "Scales in Different Keys", "Chords",etc., and 16 songs.

There may be better instructional materials out there, however, my own experience tells me that someone as old as your friend can learn to play the mandolin with no stringed instrument experience.
    Lee Oliver

This anecdote may inspire your friend. I know a lady who only had a few cello lessons as a girl, but never went anywhere with it and did not play any musical instrument most of her life. She started playing the lap dulcimer at 55. Now in her late 60's, she is in a performing band, and teaches private students and conducts workshops on the instrument. She has recently started learning both the clawhammer banjo and the fiddle with some success. It can definitely be done.

BTW, she learned mostly from face-to-face instruction, both one-on-one and workshops. I personally believe that good instruction is the best way to go, when it's possible.

Registered Person

Quote Originally Posted by (jflynnstl @ Feb. 17 2008, 07:44)
    BTW, she learned mostly from face-to-face instruction, both one-on-one and workshops. I personally believe that good instruction is the best way to go, when it's possible.
    Second that. It can be tough to teach someone you know though, so keep that in mind. But I wish you luck, and patience. It can be difficult teaching friends..

Ditto on the Horne book.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Smile

Also being a nubie (6 months ago) to any instrument I bought a few books,the above ones included. Then I found Musicmoose.org
    Anthony Hannigan is great with the lessons. I find that the visual aspect greatly increases what is being taught in the books. Go to www.Musicmoose.org and click on lessons, change menu to date created asc. then the lessons will be in order..Hope this helps......Crengr

CRengr

Eastman MD505 #2270
    Morgan Monroe Bean Blossom

I also endorse the Horne book. However, if they have absolutely NO experience playing an instrument and the can find a GOOD instructor ("good" being very important) then some lessons might not hurt up front.

i agree with finding good instructor...........bad habits are picked up easy and good ones takes age............a good teacher will only show........hopefully good habits.I started at 46......and nearly 2 years later have found some one who is helping...
    Shane

On a lessons roll today...
    I took piano lessons as a child, private trombone lessons from 4th grade through high school and a few guitar lessons aomewhere around junior high. I continue to play a little guitar ( since about age of 12) but remain pretty much a G-C-D rhythm player. I picked up a banjo in 1972 and taught myself how to play it, sort of. I messed around with the banjo for about 30 years and could "cheat" my way around, but never learned the true fundamentals. I started learning to play the mando about three years ago and figured I could teach myself. Guess what ? I figured out that I was missing some of the basic fundamentals that make it possible to excell on the instrument. I began taking lessons back in October and kick myslef for not doing that sooner. It is much more fun learning the correct way. I have progressed much faster and the thing actually is beginning to make sense to me. The DVD's and books are great tools and I know some folks can pick up all they need from those formats, but as far as I'm concerned, the investment in time and money in private lessons with a good teacher is the only way to go.

Blog Entries

John McGann's Fundamentals DVD is very good.
    Just when I got a paddle, they added more water to the creek.