Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winston salem nc

Hey guys, on friday nights we have a jam at the old lambsburg va. school from 6:30 till @ 11;00 On average theirs from 10 to 30 pickers . So far we have guys coming from k-ville, greensboro, winston,galax va., wythville, mt. airy, its about 3 months in the making so far so good Its @ 15 miles from Mt. Airy NC easy to find
    Dennis Cain

Tons of Bluegrass in the area, head up towards Mount Airy(:30), Galax, VA(1:10). The music is a way of life in the area.
    A couple of radio stations that you can pick up from Winston: WBRF-98.1 Galax(Bluegrass everynight 6-10:30, except during WFU Games) and WPAQ AM 740 Mount Airy, Bluegrass early mornings till 10 am and from noon till 5pm.
    Both of these stations have web broadcast and give out a lot of info on local music events.

Here's the High Lonesome Strings link. They will be switching back to outdoor meetings in April at Hagan-Stone Park, south of Greensboro.

Default Re: Winston salem nc

New to the forum so not sure if it's ok to revive this old thread, but I've moved to the area and am looking to start playing. I've been trying to find both a store and instructor. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I went by Jackson's and they had a few Eastman and an Epiphone. It doesn't seem that there are really any stores in the area that have much of a selection.

Jeff Foxall teaches around Winston. Great player and he has been teaching a long time.
    Russ Jordan

6. The following members say thank you to Russ Jordan for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jmwils1 View Post
    It doesn't seem that there are really any stores in the area that have much of a selection.
    I gave up trying to find mandolins on display around here and bought online.

Depending on your time and budget needs, there are a couple of talented mandolin builders local to the area that would make getting started about as cool as it gets.

Thanks for the responses. I've had a Mandobird (4 string) that I've been playing for a few years. I'm looking for a more traditional instrument and would prefer an F style. Budget is under $2k so a Bernabe is out. On craigslist there is a luthier a few hours away (Jerry Mcguire) that has some nice models that fall in my range. Of course buying online is an option, but even if it was setup well I could see where things could happen in shipping. Given the age of the thread I couldn't tell if Jeff Foxall is still teaching. I'll look into that route for instruction.

If you are in Winston - Salem, you should plan on going to Merlefest - its coming up in about two months. You should head over to the pickers tents. If you are a brand new player the jamming at those tents will probably be too advanced for you but you may find someone to jam with in the camp grounds. You should go to the tents anyway - they are run by the Wilkes Acoustic Society and I am sure someone there can help you out. Jacksons used to have a collection of high end Gibsons. You can advertise on the board at the teaching studio at Jackson's to see if anyone wants to jam.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/basspl...ll/5689446551/
    Merlefest.org

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmwils1 View Post
    ...It doesn't seem that there are really any stores in the area that have much of a selection.
    Drive down to Statesville (45 minutes west of you) and visit 'Harry & Jeannie West' music store downtown. Largest collection of entry level mandolins in the area and also some upper level mandos in the back room.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Blog Entries

I started lessons with Jeff Foxall last week. Thx for the tip Russ! Just the instructor I was looking for.

Where's the cream? drjuliushibbert's Avatar

I'm in winston as well if anyone wants to get together - I'm playing at the Calvary Baptist Easter event at Lawrence Joel Coliseum - doors open at 930 am on Easter mornign and all are welcome - if you come introduce yourself - I'm the only mandolin player - I'm curious to see what it's like to play in a building that big
    2007 Breedlove OF
    1915 Gibson A1
    Mandobird
    Trinity Octave