Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Day Jobs?

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Another thread about professional musicians made me think about bluegrass musicians who have employment outside of bluegrass music. #One example that was cited was the Seldon Scene. #I'm curious as to what some of these well known bluegrass musicians do for a living (if it's not the music).

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

J.D. Crowe just retired from the U.S. Post Office
    What The ....

In the case of the Seldom Scene you had a mathmatician (Ben Eldridge), a commercial artist (Mike Auldridge), a cartographer (Tom Gray), a surgeon (John Starling) and a person who did instrument repair for a music store (John Duffey).

Caveat: #This my memory of what was listed on the back of their first album.

There's that great Johnny Staats who still works during the day at UPS as a delivery man. He's out of this world!

I may be mistaken, but I believe JD "leased" & "maintained" a fleet(!?) of trucks to USPS - the experience/expertiese -I'm sure - comes in handy for the same use of his and others' "tour busses. Of course, let us not forget Monroe... who "farmed"..didn't he..!!??

Fascinating stuff - keep 'em comming!

The only one I know of is Emory Lester as he once gave me his card which said that he is a technical illustrator.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

..hey...carry this a step further....what do ya'all do for livin?.....Im a Maintenance Supervisor for our local school system....been here starting my 16th year July 1st...

I'm a graphic designer. A good thing to be when you're in a band
    Mandofiddle

For years and years, Del McCoury cut wood in the winters and did the bluegrass festival circuit in the summers, until he and the boys were able to go full time.

Myself, I'm an engineer designing analog integrated circuits. As far as day jobs go, it ain't too bad at all.

Flowerpot: Thank you for that "anecdote" - yes, Del "worked in timber' for a living early-on. I have a long-time friend in New Jersey that "befriended" Del - and also sold him a herringbone D28 - also years ago ; not sure if THAT'S the Martin he is currently using. Also another of my music friends - in nearby Pennsylvania - gave - and provided "inspiration" - to Ronnie for his mandolin "journey" when he was a VERY young man.

Quote Originally Posted by (Scotti Adams @ June 08 2004, 08:22)
    ..hey...carry this a step further....what do ya'all do for livin?.....Im a Maintenance Supervisor for our local school system....been here starting my 16th year July 1st...
    Scotti - we've done that one before!

I'm more interested in what the "professionals" do for a living.

2015 Chevy Silverado

best source is bluegrass unlimited, they usually feature an article or short clip about somebody who was on the road 10 yrs then quit to work for Lockheed. musicians are now folk heroes i think in the old time days they were considered loafers unless they had a day job.

..hmm..I must have missed that one...sorry Pete....David Parmley runs a tour bus fixer up shop......Barry Berrier is one excellent autobody man.....Joe Mullins owns his own radio station..WBZI 1500 am, Xenia, Ohio.....Ricky Wasson..guitar player with Crowe owns a music store...Dwight McCall, mando player with Crowe owns some kind of moving business....Mike Lilly..once a pro drives a big rig now....Harley Allen....big shot song writer in Nashville...Ray Deaton owns Deaton Entertainment....Steve Dilling..banjo player with IIIrd Tyme Out works in a music store....Red Allen once worked for NCR and Frigidaire while playing full time.....give me time..I will think of others...

Jerry Garcia, a man with a passion for OT and Bluegrass, had a great day job with some other band......I don't recall the name.....

Thank you....Scotti A. for your informative answer(s) - PHEW!!! (I wonder what some of these "newbie" folks must really think of us - when they ask a very innocent and valid "newbie" question...)- Carry on.

Gee, I hardly think of myself as a "newbie"

It's really just idle curiousty and nothing else. I had heard at one time that Tex Logan used to work at Bell Labs. I really find it fascinating to find out that many of our bluegrass heros are just ordinary working folks during the week days. It does seem that spending any amount of time as a bluegrass performer provides a good introduction to auto mechanics.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Registered Person

I have a "Little Debbie" distributorship In Milwaukee. I think I'll be doing this for some time...... God I hate cake.

A musician friend from the D.C. area told me a lot of the folks he knew in the biz were house painters. He would get pick up work with folks like the Stanley Bros., Red Allen, etc. He was good friends with Buz Busby, Scotty Stoneman and family, and others I've forgotten. The best thing I enjoy is all the musician stories I hear from him as he is a bit older than me (me being a kid of 50!)
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Saw in another newslist that Mike Compton also has a day job, but they didn't say what it was. Can anybody here verify that?

..I think Compton works at a print shop...

David Harvey, Fred Carpenter - instrument repair
    Bobby Clark - Recording Engineer
    Brian Aldridge (DBFS) - knucklehead

Quote Originally Posted by
    neal Posted on June 08 2004, 16:39

I have a "Little Debbie" distributorship In Milwaukee. #I think I'll be doing this for some time...... God I hate cake.
    Yeah but do you like Camel Walk by Southern Culture on the Skids ?

GVD
    GVD

...nope actually Brian owns and operates a spouting company handed down from his father, Howard...a fine banjo player in his own right...Ron Thomasson...english teacher...its true..at least he was before Dry Branch went on to bigger things..

I knew that, Scotti, jes' messin with my pal Brian. He's lookin good, lost some weight, must be that new-fangled DBFS diet...Don't Buy Food Soon...

Jeff Parker of LRB did ALOT of contractor painting while doing some music stuff in and around Central Kentucky back in the 80s. We did alot of construction work (roofing/siding) with my dad when painting got slow. Not sure how much "real work" he did during those Renfro Valley Music Barn years, but he now runs a humble music shop by his house in Berea, while keeping a very full LRB schedule.

I am nearly 17 years into a very satisfying military career as a US Navy Submarine Senior Chief Mechanic.