Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! "best" inexpensive mandolin

My brother-in-law's wife called me yesterday amd asked me to look into an inexpensive ukulele for her husband, whom she said had expressed an interest in learning to play one! #At a party last night she said she had made a serious mistake, and that it was a "mandolin". #So hopefully you get the picture! #He loves music, but I do not know whether he has any talent for playing a stringed instrument!

All of my mandolins are much more expensive than he would need to get started and quite frankly, I do not pay too much attention to entry level beginner mandolins. #I do know if something is not "playable" beginners will get frustrated and give up!

Any suggestions for a decent playable $200 - $400 instrument? #Thanks for your help!

Linksmaker

Look at the Kentucky KM-350's that Dennis has at the Mandolin Store.

OK, I just looked and he appears to be out of them. My next suggestion is the Kentucky KM-340's at musiciansfriend.com

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

there will be no shortage of opinions at the Cafe; here's mine: I have an Eastman and a Mid-Missouri and I like them both quite a bit. Spend 500-600 on a used Eastman, or 300-400 on a Mid-Mo and he'll be happy.

I played a new Rogue f-5 this year at Galax and was blown away by not only the price, but the richness in tone and volume. A dealer in a small pop up camper along the main vendor walkway had it. Did anyone else play it?
    '84 Flatiron A5-1 '85 Kentucky KM1500 '86 Flatiron a5-jr '27 Gibson A-jr '88 Flatiron Cadet..MAS anyone?

He was looking in the $200-$400.00 range. If he can go up I'd suggest he go for a Gibson Distressed Master Model or perhaps a Brentrup.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I have a Washburn M-ISDL/BK that I like quite well for the money. That should be in your price range.
    Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

I cannot recommend anyone to Musicians Friend, but I'd rather recommend Elderly Instruments. Musicians Friend will give you nothing but an instrument in a box, where Elderly will get it setup and ready to play....plus they have actual customer service, where Musicians Friend is seriously lacking. For around 4 bills you can get a nice Kentucky mandolin setup and shipped. Check out Elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by (MikeEdgerton @ Dec. 02 2007, 15:07)
    He was looking in the $200-$400.00 range. If he can go up I'd suggest he go for a Gibson Distressed Master Model or perhaps a Brentrup.
    I'm with you Mike, why is it that a poster will say they have x$ to spend and invariably someone will say..ya but you can spend 2-3X$ on this one...bla.bla.bla. If they had that much money then why say they only have this amount to spend. Not much help in my mind.

Personally, I would get an inexpensive A-style and probably a Rogue RM-100A A-for $50 and pay the extra $30 for a basic setup.

Based on the original post, doesn't sound like the brother-in-law could be serious about playing. Why pay primo bucks for an iffy thing. That way, if he does get serious, he can go out and find his own instrument that speaks to him. Besides, regardless of what $200-$400 starter instrument he gets, he'll catch MAS and will want to upgrade any way.

Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

Unhappy

I'd like to up the ante on this thread. #First off, I confess I am not certain where some of these mandolins are made anymore. #I am rather certain, however, that Kentuckys are not made in the good ol' US of A. #So my question is, what is your recommendation for an "less expensive" non-import mandolin? #When I say inexpensive, I guess I mean under $4000.00.[U]
    Paul E. Henfield

Inexpensive is in the eye of the spender. Not made in USA does not necessarily equate to bad quality. The guy wants a $200-$400.00 mandolin. Nothing else should be on the table in this thread. Maybe Mike's post was too subtle for some, but let's talk about what the guy asked for instead of offering our unsolicited opinion on why he should spend more.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Registered User Richard Francis's Avatar

I'll probably be thrown out of the discussion for this one, but I like my Fender FM-53S. Elderly Instruments lists it for $269.99 sans case, and I think it compares favorably with other entry-level mandos I've played.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by (jbmando @ Dec. 02 2007, 17:57)
    Maybe Mike's post was too subtle for some, but let's talk about what the guy asked for instead of offering our unsolicited opinion on why he should spend more.
    Too subtle?
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Kentucky 172 for $285 from Gianna Violins, $100 for Mandovoodoo, $28 for shipping = $413.

Quote Originally Posted by (RevRichard @ Dec. 02 2007, 18:04)
    I'll probably be thrown out of the discussion for this one, but I like my Fender FM-53S. Elderly Instruments lists it for $269.99 sans case, and I think it compares favorably with other entry-level mandos I've played.
    Absolutely not, that's a perfect response.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

For $2-400 you're talking import. Kentuckys get fairly consistent good marks from people on the Cafe. And I'm with Mike E on the "upgrade" business. Back in the '70's I used to work part-time for Eldon Stutzman, a pretty well-known local instrument dealer. His approach was to find out a customer's approximate price range, then show him/her only instruments in that range. He would say, "If you play a more expensive instrument, you won't like any of the ones you can afford."

Linksmaker is buying an instrument for someone who isn't sure of the difference between a mandolin and a ukulele, and who may not "have any talent for playing a stringed instrument." If he gets a mediocre but playable mandolin, and takes to it like a duck to water, he'll be buying a better one within a year, and hopefully will have a much clearer idea of what he likes and wants. For example, Janet Davis Music has Kentucky 140S's (solid top) for less than $200, and 150S's (all solid wood) for less than $225.

Of course, my best advice would be to find a local store with a decent selection of entry-level instruments. Not every locale has such a place, but it's worth having an experienced player try two or three of the inexpensive instruments to evaluate them. If one has to go on-line or use mail order, there are several vendors with good reputations and broad selections.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

That's what I'm talking about.

Look, my mandolin cost me $269.00. If I had waited a few months I could have saved at least seventy bucks. It is all solid wood, F style and it sounds good. I know I'm supposed to say that because it's mine but at least four Cafe members have heard it, at least one other cafe member bought the identical mandolin after hearing and playing mine and this guy's main mando is a Daley, plus my mandolin basically started a Cafe phenomenon of buying one certain import mandolin, and essentially one model (mine) stuck out over the others in the line. All but a couple who bought them raved about them. Unfortunately, they are no longer in production, so when these questions come up they are not recommended. Along with the fact that the phenomenon is too recent to produce any quantity of available pre-owned versions, for right now there is no other mandolin in that range which is as highly recommended as mine was. If you can find a Fullerton Gloucester for around $300.00 bucks with a case, jump on it. I'll almost guarantee you will not be disappointed.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

Quote Originally Posted by (allenhopkins @ Dec. 02 2007, 18:08)
    ...Linksmaker is buying an instrument for someone who isn't sure of the difference between a mandolin and a ukulele, and who may not "have any talent for playing a stringed instrument."
    I would just like to point out that the wife is the one who made the mistake in identifying the instrument. Nothing in the original post indicates that the person desiring the instrument does not know the difference between a ukulele and a mandolin.

Rover RM50 at Elderly Instruments, $149 with free shipping and comes set up. I own one and like it a lot for the price.
    '02 Collings MF5

Blog Entries

I've played a well set up Kentucky KM140S $186 (A with ff holes 12 frets to body) (or $221 for the 150 all solid wood) and the Johnson MA120 "Richmond" $169(15 frets to body A with ff holes). If the guy takes to it, then he has a beater when he upgrades to a better instrument. These things all sound like mandolins... from the $45 ebay special to the $200K Loar. Some sound better than others but if it's set up and has good intonation (at least in first position) you can learn an awful lot on anything.

I would feel comfortable recommending either of those models listed above with a good set up and fresh D'Addario J74 strings, a good pick and a book with chords and some simple melodies. A case isn't that important nor is a strap at this point. A $10 guitar stand and a hacksaw blade to shorten the tube on it will be money better spent.

This guy can be up and running for a little over $250 from Janet Davis and you'll have a playable starting point. Be sure you tell your brother in laws wife to make sure it's set up with a low action and that it intonates well before and if it doesn't (you ought to check it out before you let her give it to him) she better be able to ship it back.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Links, I think Allen H. has the best proposal, go try out some low-end mandolins at your local music store. That way you will have an idea of what a $200-$400 mandolin will sound like. Who knows, you might find one that sounds surprising good in your price range. Atleast it will get you a starting point rather than hear rants from Cafe members whose only main experience is recommending the maker of their mandolin (BTW I don't have a Rogue) to validate their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by
    I'd like to up the ante on this thread. #First off, I confess I am not certain where some of these mandolins are made anymore. #I am rather certain, however, that Kentuckys are not made in the good ol' US of A. #So my question is, what is your recommendation for an "less expensive" non-import mandolin? #When I say inexpensive, I guess I mean under $4000..[
    So what the heck that this have to do with anything here? #The poster ask for an inexpensive mandolin, #there was no mention of it being US made.

Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

I think that poster was trying to piggy back a request on this thread as opposed to starting a new thread.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Kentucky KM-505.
    Stephen Perry

Go $500 for the Weber Hyalite in the classifieds. Looks cherry and will probably fetch the $500 back if the guy loses interest. HSC to boot!
    mick meinsler

Unreal!

Quote Originally Posted by (jbmando @ Dec. 02 2007, 22:35)
    Unreal!
    You got that. I'm assuming they aren't reading the entire thread.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber