Thread: Violin strings on mandolin?

Has anyone tried using violin strings on mandolin? They are not radically different in design from a Thomastik flatwound for example so I'm wondering how they would sound. Not that I would think they could seriously sound as good as mandolin strings, I'm just curious.

Same goes for using mandolin strings on a violin. Pretty darn sure any roundwound string will sound like total cr*p played with a bow, but I wonder how flatwound mandolin strings wound sound bowed.

Blog Entries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-aoRWjLdE

Round wound strings don't sound too bad...see above.
    Asheville Celtic Mandolin Blog and Tablature Resource.
    www.AshevilleMandolin.com
    The Asheville Celtic Mandolin Collection: Standard Notation, Tablature and Chords for the Celtic Mandolin https://a.co/d/2KaJwBq "] - Tablature, Standard Notation & Chords to 50 Celtic/Irish Tunes.
    Hurdy Gurdy Music - https://youtube.com/@TheHurdyGurdyWi...nCX2BHJY7jCVM4
    The Mud Larks - Hurdy Gurdy and Nyckelharpa - https://the-mudlarks.com/

Destroyer of Mandolins

Violin strings might not be long enoigh for the job, but otherwise should be similar, theoretically. Perhaps viola strings would be better in that regard.

Round wound strings can be bowed very successfully, although they don't produce a traditional violin tone. Round wounds are being used by at least three leading manufacturers of bowed psaltries.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

from reading here , I learned TI mandolin sets are violin steel string as a doubled set.

BUT have you priced violin sets?, they cost more ,then you buy 2.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Yeah $100 for mandolin strings seems a bit pricey.

Tim, who's making roundwound strings for bowed instruments?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Yeah, I can't imagine being one of the classical violinists that has to pay that kind of dough. #I saw a listing for violin strings that were like three hundred bucks a set. #I think they were gold or something. #I thought J-74's were expensive enough!

Alex, I don't know who is making the strings themselves. #They're basically bulk strings of the sort you can buy everywhere. #They're just regular wound guitar strings actually. #The psaltery makers using them that I'm aware of are Omega Strings, Phantasy Psalteries, and Ringing Strings. #MasterWorks might have a round-wound model by now, but I'm not sure.

I don't think anyone's doing this reguarly on the fiddle, but experimenting can be fun. #It probably wouldn't sound traditional but you could certainly try it. #

On a psaltery they give a much louder, deeper, and resonant tone with very different playing characteristics.

Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I'm new to the mandolin, but not to the violin. Violin strings are considerably more expensive than most mandolin strings, but what has to be taken into consideration is that most violinists only change their strings every 4 to 6 months.

Still, most professional-grade violin strings will have a street price of $30-50 per set, compared to the $5-8 price paid for mandolin strings of equal standing.

However, $300 for a set is unheard of. The most expenseive mass-marketed set I'm aware of is the "Olive" wound-gut set from Pirastro. They typically go for around $85 per set. Few use them. Even Perlman and Hahn use "Dominants", which can be had for $35.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Oops, you're right. I was looking at bass strings.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

It might work with steel-core fiddle strings. Use more expensive strings (synthetic or natural core) and I should think the plectrum would start breaking them pretty quickly, not to mention the frets damaging the winding. Not only that, the tensions wouldn't be the same. You'd get very different tone and your chords wouldn't sound in tune.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I've seen violin strings that go for several hundred even at marked down new price. But you're right, I don't know of anyone who uses anything that expensive.

I've used and liked several different sets of violin strings. I think my favorites are Thomastik-Infeld Reds, which are 45-50 a set at least. That set has a goldplated E which I like. My second favorites are D'Addario Zyex probably, which are similar to the Reds but a bit different and no gold E. I had some Evah Pirazzis on it at one point which sell for like 70-80 at the cheapest if I remember right. I was given them for free though so I didn't have to pay that.

Four to six months? For a professional violinist? You may be right, I haven't heard differently, but that would surprise me. My violin strings seem to go dead in about half that time (or did back when I played violin more regularly). Then again I have an insanely heavy bow arm so I probably just kill strings faster than most people (just like I kill mandolin strings slower than most people because I play so lightly). I ought to ask Casey Driessen how often he has to change strings, he plays about as hard as I do (as you can tell by the consistent breaking of bow hairs--he and I both probably need to get bows rehaired more often than strings replaced).

If I ever get hold of some free violin strings again I may try sticking them on a mandolin to see what happens. Be a shame if they're not long enough...you may be right about needing viola strings instead of violin.

I don't know why you would want to put violin strings one mandolin. T-Is mandolin strings are prob made similar to their steel string violin sets and are cheaper. Besides they are made for mandolin.

BTW most violin strings are maybe $35-60 per set (discounted) I get all mine from Shar which has better prices than the std mandolin/guitar string sources. $300 per set? maybe for quality gut but I think those would be a complete waste on a mandolin.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by (Desert Rat @ Nov. 24 2007, 23:09)
    Even Perlman and Hahn use "Dominants"
    really? i'd be stunned if that's actually true. i would've thought they'd use obligato's or evah pirazzi's-- something with more overtones than dominants. (either of those can be had for around $50-60/set. i like them quite a bit for classical stuff, myself )

as for putting violin strings on a mando: it's an interesting idea, but i rather doubt the winding around any gut or synthetic core strings would stand up to a pick for more than maybe 30 minutes so it'd be an expensive, and short lived experiment. plain old strings would probably sound similar enough to mando strings that it wouldn't be worth the extra expense.

The interesting fact I got out of this was that there are THREE leading manufactures of bowed psalteries?!

Thanks, Tim!
    Jim Sims

" Amateurs practice until they get it right - professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
    "Me?... I don't practice."

iiimandolin#19
    1917 Gibson A-1 Pumpkintop

www.sedentaryramblers.com

Destroyer of Mandolins

Actually, there are a lot more than three, but those three use round-wound strings on their advanced instruments. #Others use traditional piano wire strings. I was pretty surprised too. I didn't think the bowed psaltery was all that popular.

Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Default Re: Violin strings on mandolin?

Thomastik makes Mandolin strings designed like Violin Strings, the Precision Mandolin Strings which are at a good price & they have about half as much tension of regular Mandolin strings to facilitate good playing technique.

Most symphony violin players have instruments that are worth many thousands of dollars - and use bows that cost as much as a good mandolin. For them, a set of strings that costs 100 bucks is not a big deal.

I am using pi strings now , for violin and 5 string, over a hundred and worth every penny, they also last almost a year .

Quote Originally Posted by dcc View Post
    really? i'd be stunned if that's actually true. i would've thought they'd use obligato's or evah pirazzi's-- something with more overtones than dominants. (either of those can be had for around $50-60/set. i like them quite a bit for classical stuff, myself )
    It's a well-known fact in the violin world that IP and many other A listers use Dominants. Obligatos and Pirazzis don't last long, and have higher tension than many prefer. Plus, many violinists want a more neutral string. More ability to shape tone to your liking, and putting the native sound of the instrument forward vs the effect of "designer" strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Fields View Post
    I've seen violin strings that go for several hundred even at marked down new price. But you're right, I don't know of anyone who uses anything that expensive.

I've used and liked several different sets of violin strings. I think my favorites are Thomastik-Infeld Reds, which are 45-50 a set at least. That set has a goldplated E which I like. My second favorites are D'Addario Zyex probably, which are similar to the Reds but a bit different and no gold E. I had some Evah Pirazzis on it at one point which sell for like 70-80 at the cheapest if I remember right. I was given them for free though so I didn't have to pay that.

Four to six months? For a professional violinist? You may be right, I haven't heard differently, but that would surprise me. My violin strings seem to go dead in about half that time (or did back when I played violin more regularly). Then again I have an insanely heavy bow arm so I probably just kill strings faster than most people (just like I kill mandolin strings slower than most people because I play so lightly). I ought to ask Casey Driessen how often he has to change strings, he plays about as hard as I do (as you can tell by the consistent breaking of bow hairs--he and I both probably need to get bows rehaired more often than strings replaced).

If I ever get hold of some free violin strings again I may try sticking them on a mandolin to see what happens. Be a shame if they're not long enough...you may be right about needing viola strings instead of violin.
    Thomastik makes Makes these

Violin Strings on a Mandolin? Hmm, you could use 2 sets of your favorite string sets (as long as you get a Terminator Tailpiece) for various sounds. Ascente Violin strings on a Mandolin would make a great Nylon core Flatwound set w/ a Steel E.

Blog Entries

You might do better by putting banjo strings on a mandolin.

Some cheap violin strings may have a metal core that would stand up to picking.

But flatwound violin strings like Thomastik's are not made for picking. The wound metal wrap is quite thin. (TI's for mandolin are much thicker.)

Most violin strings are more 'elastic' than strings for plucked instruments. Tuning may be a major problem...
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

I play both, and IMHO violin strings (at least the kind I buy) are more expensive than mandolin strings, so I'd have to have a good reason to use them.

Violin strings are not meant to be pushed on frets, and I think it would wear them out very fast. They have a much softer wrap than strings for fretted instruments.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

25. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

As usual, our colleague s11141827 loves to resurrect antique defunct threads with information that most MCers know already. Maybe he doesn't know how to start a new thread? In any case, this one is 15 years old and many of the posters are no longer participating here.

In any case, this is a strange subject. Thomastik mandolin strings are appreciated by many of us here but the biggest complaint is the cost of them as compared to other types. Currently they are about $50 per set—more than they cost in 2007. And buying two sets of violin strings will be way more money. Nothing wrong with experimenting though. Do it if you want.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

27. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

DougC 

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

No….just no.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...