Thread: Pickin' in winston-salem

Hey Ya'll
    Is there any pickin' going on in or around Winston? I am possibly going to Winston for a week around Christmas and would love to find some jams to either sit in or listen to some bluegrass. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    John

Off the top of my head I can't think of any jam time/locations, but I'd check Jackson's Music store (just Google them for the phone #, address, etc). The last time I was there was in their old location, and they had a pretty good selection of Gibson mandos, banjos, and dobros, so you may be able to sample some signature series or mastertones if nothing else. BTW, the few times I shopped there the typical high school jobber was at the counter but there were always more "experienced" folks around. I didn't get out to jam much when I lived there, but there's definitely some bluegrass in W-S and the surrounding areas...also, Skip Kelly lives in High Point (20-30 minutes away), and he may have some contacts as well...Certainly don't mean to speak for him and apologize if he minds my throwing his name out there, but rumor has it he's a pretty good guy (and player/luthier to boot). I believe his contact info is in the Builder's Archive here on the Cafe.
    Chuck

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

John,

I live west of Winston-Salem and don't know about jams in W-S, but if you don't mind a 40 minute drive on highway west 421 to Union Grove, there is a Saturday morning jam of oldtime/bluegrass or whatever which starts around 8:30 and lasts till people get tired around noon. It's at a little restaurant called the Cook Shack and is immediately before the elementary school. Can't miss it!! It's pretty much fun; I try to get there most Saturdays. People are friendly and the food is okay if you like breakfast or hamburgers.

PM me if you want more exact directions.

Oh, I just remembered that there's a more bluegrass oriented jam most Friday nights at Windsor Corners which is just a few miles from Union Grove also.

Phil
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

John,
    I know of plenty of jam sessions around W-S; every night of the week in fact.
    Contact me and I'll give you some details.
    Ted in Winston-Salem