Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Random mandolin sightings

Default Re: Random mandolin sightings

MATCHBOX TWENTY HAS BEEN MY FAVORITE BAND SINCE I WAS A KID!!! Nickel Creek and Thile's other projects give them a run for their money now but still a great band. The guy's name is Matt Beck: he's a great multi-instrumentalist and I've been privileged enough to work with him a few times. NYC based, same downtown scene that I play in. He went to Juilliard. I watched a tape of How Far We've Come a few years ago and noticed that too. He plays the line in the bridge on a f-style. ALSO, there was a Geico ad campaign a few months ago (fall 2012 I think?) featuring two guys playing a mandolin and a banjo. SO COOL. Glad other people are noticing this stuff too!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Cheryl Tunt of TV's Archer picked up an A5 in the most recent episode "Archer Vice: Southbound and Down." See the 1:03 mark: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SfCUAodc7gw
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Heard mandolin in a Toyota Corolla ad last night. Nothing fancy, but nice to hear all the same.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Saw "My Darling Clementine" this week. It's a 1946 western with Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp. There's a dance scene about half way through the movie and the band has a Mandolinist as well a fiddle and a pump organ. You only see its upper bout ,neck and enough headstock to see it has 8 tuners. It seems to be a flat top, maybe an Army Navy. Movie is worth watching if you like old westerns.
    Jim Richmond

Blog Entries

Worth watching if you like movies! One of the best Westerns from the get-go, and learning there's a mandolin in it, I like it even more. (I admit to a certain bias. ) In addition to Fonda's laconic portrayal, there's Walter Brennan's great acting, cast against type as the leader of the bad guys, the Clanton clan.

But what brought me here in the first place was seeing Beck on Ellen today, with someone in his band playing a mandocello! Beautiful looking instrument, too. Not sure why he had it capoed at about the seventh fret - couldn't find a mandola, perhaps ... Anyway, you could have knocked me over with a feather. This has to be the first time I saw such an instrument on TV. Nice enough song, too, and there was also a dobro in the mix. (The album's been getting very good reviews). I expect ia video will be up on YouTube soon enough.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I saw the Archer episode with Charlene playing an A style, they had no mark on the head stock, but they did a pretty good job of rendering it correctly

I watched part of "My Darling Clementine" this weekend too, wasn't the OO-15 an interesting guitar choice?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Just got around to watching Breaking Bad for the first time. Spotted a mandolin in season 3 episode 13 ("Full Measure"). The scene is when Gus goes to the apartment of his lab tech named Gale. I spotted an old oval hole A model propped up against the wall.

Ooh, I forgot about that, good catch!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

As promised ...

Beck's April Fools Day appearance on Ellen, with a band member playing a mandocello or OM.

Blog Entries

OK, a couple of odd ones - there's random, and then there's random, you know? First the easily explained one. I was watching the new season of "Ice Road Truckers" (what a great way to spend an hour on a warm summer evening) and the episode led directly into the latest offering from The History Channel - "Pawnography." This is a game show featuring the younger generations of characters from "Pawn Stars" (Rick, Junior, and Chumlee) and a couple of contestants, hosted by the overly enthusiastic Christopher Titus. (THC must be desperate, trotting out this tripe.) I lasted not even all the way through the first question to see who came up with the answer (requiring the participants to pair Edward Teach with the multiple-choice-format possibilities of Blackbeard, Bluebeard, Redbeard, or Jamesbeard (I'm not kidding)). But I noticed, hanging from the shelves behind the host, among other knick-knacks and bits of clutter, an old Florentine- style bowlback. Don't know why, but always nice to see; they are very picturesque.

The second "sighting" is a bit harder to explain. I've taken to falling asleep occasionally with the TV on, set to the softest possible music channel, what my cable company calls "Soundscapes" - "Relax, relate, release and allow this uplifting Music Choice mix of new age, atmospheric, and world-positive music to soothe any mood." It's mostly pretty ambient and unobtrusive (ie, boring without being annoying, perfect for my purpose - lulling me to sleep and keeping me there), two of its main pluses being rarely vocal and nearly completely devoid of percussion. Every now and them something decent will show up - Paul Winter, for instance, or Indian flute from R. Carlos Nakai and others - but most of it just washes right by, especially at the barely audible volume I prefer. If I could only turn the visual component off, it would be nearly perfect.

What brings me, in my typically roundabout fashion, to share this with you here, is that recently, switching over to this at the end of my viewing day, I noticed that the offering playing at the moment was entitled "A Million Mandolins." This had exactly the opposite desired effect. I turned it up, but all I could hear was a flute with lots of reverb, and maybe off in the distance or down in the mix, a chorus of tremolo mandolins. Nowhere near a million, mind you, and nearly identifiable, but - possibly - mandolins. Of course, this is a first on this channel, where the most popular string instrument is the harp. The creator of this music is Tim Wheater, and the piece appears on his 1991 album, "Mistral: The Wind of Change." (I'm sorry; I neglected to mention the titles of most of the offerings on this channel are pretty hifalutin', and tend to refer to some aspect of nature, spirituality, or mythology - all very New Age-y) Not surprisingly, the generation that loves to post all manner of every kind of music has no interest whatsoever in this, so there is no youtube clip I can post for those curious enough to listen on a good enough sound system to suss out the mandolin contribution. And while this is available on Spotify and iTunes and other such websites, I'm not subscribing them just to hear this, either. But if someone is so inclined, and wants to share, go ahead. My curiosity hasn't completely waned. yet ...

Blog Entries

A couple of sightings in the last 24 hours, quite out of the blue. This morning, on the weekly news magazine CBS This Morning, the Saturday Sessions segment featured Counting Crows. Their first song was their new single,in their typical rock style. But for their second song, they reached back to their debut album for Omaha, for which the keyboard player switched to accordion and one of the guitarists played mandolin. And a very nice one at that - an old Gibson A-2 or A-4, one of the nicest mandolins I've ever seen a rocker play on TV. I've been waiting for a video to show up on youtube. Not yet, but here's the link to the show's clip.

But the other sighting has my mind reeling. I tuned in to the new Meredith Vieira Show, something I had had no intention of doing since its creation was announced - there's an overabundance of these shows, and another entry seems quite unneeded and unwanted, as far as I'm concerned. But I was surprised to see she had a musical guest, for the first time, and this was to be Carole King. Such a notice will always get me to tune in, at least for that segment. Sometime during my glances over to it, I noticed one of the house band members was doing some rather swift strumming. Seemed a little different from usual. I also noticed a mandolin hanging on the wall behind the band - a pancake or bowlback by the looks of it. At some point, the camera lingered on the band long enough for me to see she was playing an electric mandolin! Imagine my surprise and pleasure to see this.

I have not yet been able to find out much information about the player or the mandolin. In fact, so far all I have learned is that the band leader is Everett Bradley, who has been a percussionist in Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. The way most references I have found put it (repeating the show's press release), is that this is an all-female band led by him. I wonder how he, they, and females everywhere feel about that rather clumsy locution. In any event, as far as I know, this is a first - a member of a house band on a TV show playing mandolin as a main instrument. I'm guessing that is the case - she also played sax, and may have played guitar too, though more often than not I saw her playing mandolin. Yes, G.E. Smith would occasionally play mandolin when he was the bandleader of the SNL band, but his main instrument was guitar. I guess that now, much against my druthers, I will have to tune in more often to see whether this is really the case. I'll be sure to report on this when I learn more. Meanwhile, it is heartwarming indeed to see this. It bespeaks of a higher level of visibility for the instrument than I had anticipated or expected to see.

Blog Entries

OK, I've been scanning through videos on the Meredith Vieira Show site, looking for even the merest glimpse of the mandolin in action. It's been challenging, as the house band is not the focus of these short clips, of course, and the band is off to the side. But I have been able to find a few frames and do screen captures, and blow them up a bit. I feel vindicated, at last, and can now believe for certain that I was not just imagining this.

From the show I saw:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vieira 1.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	124079

OK, so it's obscured by a music stand. But this is the best shot of the player. Does anyone recognize her?

Name:	Vieira 2.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	124080

From another show. You can see most of it here, and definitely see eight tuning pegs.

Name:	Vieira 3.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	124081

From yet another show. A good view of her arsenal - mandolin, guitar, sax, and fiddle. That looks like an acoustic, though, not the electric in the other two photos.

I know a lot of people may think this is no big deal. I am not one of them. Someone being hired to play mandolin (among other instruments) on a daily basis, on network TV, is new, and possibly unprecedented. I think this may help, in some small subtle way, to increase the instrument's visibility and introduce many formerly uninitiated to its capabilities, heck, its very existence.

Only because the Meredith Vieira Show is just getting over when I walk in the door for lunch, do I see what is it you speak of. And yes, indeed today, and many days, I've seen a dark haired female plays said mandolin. Sadly, the house band, sounds mostly percussion, and the poor mandolin gets stomped on sonically. Ten seconds on national TV can change a life. I'm thinking total elapsed exposure time hasn't approached that threshold yet.

Blog Entries

Ha! I'm sure it's well over that much time, since it gets about that much on-screen each show. Thing is, that's what she plays during the main theme at the start and end of the show. So there's that. I think it's actually mixed all right, it's just being used as a rhythm instrument, in a very fast funk-like strum, blended with the guitar doing the same thing. But I heard it, which caught my attention, and I then had to pay a LOT more attention than I would have normally. Sadly, she is stuck at the far end of the band area from the camera, so it's hard to see what she is doing. The keyboard player is closest to the camera, which makes no sense - most of the time keys players provide very little visual activity. Eh, no big deal. But it's nice to see, all the same. If she ever gets a solo I'll be sure to let everyone know.

I recognize the percussionist on Meredith's show from Daryl's House (Palladium).
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

Interesting. All the publicity I've seen about the show mentions him only as playing in The E Street Band. (As band leader, he gets mentioned by name; so far, the same can't be said for the band members, AFAIK.) Haven't watched Daryl's show, or any web-based productions, yet (it's Palladia, BTW, FWIW), but poking around the 'net a bit turned up this tidbit "Daryl Hall purchased the building that formerly housed the night club “The Towne Crier” in Pawling, New York, in order to renovate and use it as the future set of the show." That should warm the hearts of those dismayed when the club closed. At least it's still "in the business."

Blog Entries

Alrighty then! Had to go old school tech to solve this mystery. Taped the closing credits with my VCR, ran it back in slow motion a few times, and got the band members' names. Let's go to the videotape ... and on mandolin, Carmella Ramsey. Now, some folks around here may recognize that name, as it's come up before. She has toured and recorded with Patty Loveless and others, including Reba McIntire. She also is married to Kenny Vaughan, who has played guitar with Lucinda Williams, Kim Richey, and currently Marty Stuart. So there is a double mandolin connection, after a fashion. Still can't see what kind of mandolin she's playing, but I finally got a closer look at it without the swoopy tracking shots, and it's an acoustic F model. These photos are a little old, hoping some new ones will show up soon.

Name:	Carmella Ramsey 05.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	124232Name:  Carmella Ramsey 02.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  8.4 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Carmella Ramsey 03.jpg 
Views:	1966 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	124231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carmella Ramsey 06.jpg 
Views:	838 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	124233
    Last edited by journeybear; Sep-27-2014 at 2:42am. Reason: doin' some pic pickin'

Blog Entries

Tuned in to the Today Show this morning to see what a solo spot by Kristian Bush would be like. After all, his Sugarland partner Jennifer Nettles has a solid solo career going, why shouldn't he? He plays mandolin, too, so I was curious ... Well, I dozed off but woke up in time to catch just the second half of what seemed a pretty snappy number, with him playing guitar, but he had a very pretty brunette playing an F-model. Couldn't place her, thought it might have been Megan Mullins, who shows up a lot backing up everyone from Big & Rich to Shakira. Then they ended the song with some hilarious choreography - line dancing while playing - and this mandolinist was awfully cute and dancing up a storm while singing and playing (just chords), so I kind of lost my place ... But when I played the tape back, and noticed that over on the other side of the stage there was a blonde playing lap steel (standing up), I realized who was playing there - Rebecca Lovell and Megan Lovell, aka Larkin Poe! Good thing I was sitting down or I might have fallen over. Not up on youtube yet, but here is the link to the show's website.

The song contains a pretty good lyrical hook. It's about sharing your wealth in this lifetime because you can't take it to the next one. It's called "Trailer Hitch" and it goes:

You can't take it with you when you go
    Never seen a hearse with a trailer hitch
    Last edited by journeybear; Oct-28-2014 at 1:43am.

Blog Entries

Got dragged to the movies this evening by my dear young lass Clementine - the Disney documentary "Monkey Kingdom." As is often the case with Disney docs, there was a lot of anthropomorphic commentary and a bit of staged activity, along with some fine videography. But what made this cinematic excursion noteworthy was the music that rolled during the credits - a mandolin driving the song! Nothing too outstanding, and certainly within the capabilities of many members here, but pleasant enough, and pleasant to hear in this context. The song is a typical current pop trifle, formulaic and predictable, even cloying in its earnestness, but still - mandolin in a Disney movie. Nice to hear that.

In the movie"wild bill" with Jeff bridges,,there's a guy in a saloon playing a bowlback.also in the movie "hot shots part deux" with Charlie sheen,Charlies In a diner when a mandolin player and an accordion player walk in and start playing...he's got a bowlback for sure..

Blog Entries

OK, I think it's actually a charango, but it was a pretty random sighting. I have trouble getting to sleep, and this has gotten even worse for the last two months, as I have been terrorized by a bachelor mockingbird, who has nested in the tree across the street, and keeps calling for a mate all night long. One thing that helps with the insomnia and the noise is leaving the TV on, with the most mellow music channel playing, something called "Soundscapes." It's a lot of slow-paced New-Age-y stuff, mostly non-vocal, and hardly ever any drums. Pretty ho-hum most of the time, , and the titles are usually very silly, heavy-handed attempts t sounding philosophical,a though any channel that plays R Carlos Nakai's flute work is welcome in my house.

Well, just now, while trying to mellow out after throwing stones at the mockingbird to distract him and get him to stop long enough for me to drop off (it works), and chatting a bit here meanwhile, my ears perked up to hear a double-stringed instrument being played rather pleasantly. It was this:

It's from Gustavo Santaolalla, Argentine-born musician now residing in Los Angeles, who won the Oscar for Original Soundtracks in 2005 and 2006 ("Brokeback Mountain" and "Babel"). I've heard his music in these and several other movies, but it not never registered with me until just now, by an odd happenstance. Interesting imagery.

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    OK, I think it's actually a charango, but it was a pretty random sighting.
    If charangos count then I'll report a young wild charango player in the plaza in Santa Fe NM about 3 weeks ago. I left paper money in his case even though he only played three plaintive chords. I also hear charango with Peruvian buskers on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco; I haven't been there for awhile so can't report any specific occurrence. But they're there, usually trios with charango, panpipe, and drum. EL CONDOR PASA is played every ten minutes or so, just to keep the donations coming. I'd rather be a forest than a tree, or whatever...
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

Third episode first season "Laramie", 1959. Hoagy Carmichael (Jonesy) plays a bit of "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" on what looks to be a Regal flat top.
    Jim Richmond

Blog Entries

Really!?! How about that? So that makes at least two filmed appearances of the great Hoagy Carmichael in the presence of a mandolin. The other, of course, is the scene in "To Have And Have Not" in which Hoagy, playing Cricket, the piano player in the house band at the saloon, invites Lauren Bacall's character, Slim, to the stage to sing "How Little We Know." There's a mandolin player in the band. I risk saying this, knowing full well I may be inviting our resident film buffs to chime in and spin us off into a tangent ...

26. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: