Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Random mandolin sightings

Default Re: Random mandolin sightings

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henrickson View Post
    One of the characters (possibly Elias Hatfield) is picking out an unknown (to me), somewhat "fiddlistic" (to boorow a word from Darol Anger) melody on a flat-top, oval-hole mandolin. I suppose it could be a Martin, but I'm not sure when they started building mandolins.
    That is also assuming that the program's producers truly wanted an authentic instrument. According to Wikipedia, Hatfield McCoy feud took place from 1863–91. I think the first Martin flattop mandolin would have been around 1914. This should have been a bowlback of it was authentic or no American mandolin in the 1860s. They should have just had a banjo or maybe a guitar.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

Just took a closer look, since I have this DVR'd. I would say with 99.9% certainty that the instrument is NOT a bowl-back, although the scene is shadowy enough that it's not totally clear. It is a slothead instrument, if that's any help for identification.
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Definitely not a bowlback. It looks like a eastern European instrument, they prob found it in the prop room. It was likely made in the 1950s, 60s or so. I did a screen shot but it is not too clear.

The tune sounds pretty much like random noodling but maybe I just can't hear it all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h-m_mando.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	87264  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Definitely not a bowlback. It looks like a eastern European instrument, they prob found it in the prop room. It was likely made in the 1950s, 60s or so. I did a screen shot but it is not too clear.

The tune sounds pretty much like random noodling but maybe I just can't hear it all.
    Seems to fit seeing as the movie was filmed in Romania.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I haven't watched this much-anticipated production yet, so please don't spoil it for me/us/those few who care ... But The History Channel has been known to play a bit loose with historical authenticity, and has been taken to task for this before by some around here, people who seem to be a good bit more knowledgeable than those actually working in the props department. And rightly so - they should pay attention to period detail, if they have any intention to educate as well as entertain (and sell soap, of course). Or maybe change their name to The Infotainment Channel (eg., Pawn Stars - really? ) I have a feeling someone just grabbed something out of the prop room and put it in the actor's hands. Anyway, it's still a mandolin on the screen. Could have been worse - do I have to come right out and say how?

Another possibility - could it have been a homemade instrument? Something someone whittled to resemble something seen in a Sears catalog?

BTW, I thought it a bit odd that an interview with Kevin Costner on The Tavis Smiley Show (PBS) seemed to spend so much time on this production. Guess there were some promo bucks to spend; just an odd venue. Or maybe not, maybe this is being aimed at an erudite audience. Seems to be working, a bit.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear
    I haven't watched this much-anticipated production yet, so please don't spoil it for me/us/those few who care ...
    That's why I didn't reveal any crucial plot elements.

I'm enjoying this miniseries so far (I have only watched the first two so far, due to a strange work schedule[thank goodness for DVR!]). The music that is being portrayed as being played by characters - as opposed to background "atmospheric" music - seems to be period-correct, with lots of fiddle and banjo. There may be some prop inaccuracies, but the basic facts of the story seem to be intact, if condensed for cinematic purposes. I think that, for me, the point of a "docu-drama" such as this is to create more interest in the subject matter. For me, it has been successful, as I am already researching which book(s) I want to read to learn more about the Hatfield-McCoy feud.
    Last edited by Marty Henrickson; May-31-2012 at 12:08pm. Reason: additional info
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Blog Entries

Mandolin showed up unexpectedly a couple times yesterday - in an appearance by Josh Turner on Good Morning America and by Jana Walker on The Tonight Show. Also the ACL episode from a couple years back of Elvis Costello/Band Of Heathens, Mike Compton in the first half, is still making the rounds..

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

So there I was, watching yet another tedious French movie - in which it takes a long time for anything to happen and then when something does one isn't sure what it was, and the movie ends by just stopping (this style seems to be all too common in the French movies that come to our local art cinema; hopefully there are other better movies being produced by the historically superbe French cinema industry) - when a song appeared in the soundtrack, in English, with a mandolin in the mix. So naturally I had to stay through the movie until the end for the credits (well, I was still hoping the movie would add up to something more than a slice or two of life (it did not)), and learned it was "The Water" by Johnny Flynn, harmony vocals by Laura Marling. I had not heard of him, but have seen her on the tube a couple times, one of several British singers currently being touted as The Next Big Thing. In case you're wondering the movie was called "L'Amour De Jeunesse," somehow translated for the American market into "Goodbye First Love" (rather than "The Love Of Youth"), so you can plan to avoid it and save yourself from wasting nearly two hours better spent otherwise. Nice enough song, though ... Ironically, the video is like a four-minute French film as described above (my only other choice I could see for a studio version of the song is just a still photo) - footage seemingly randomly assembled with no plot or conclusion. No high hopes for the genre, mind you, but it seemed eloquently appropriate given the context. Additionally, the star of the video drives a Peugeot, another French connection.

Also, last night, the musical guest on The Tonight Show was a band called Imagine Dragons, from Utah,and the opening riff was played on a single string electric, sampled, then repeated throughout the song, while that player switched to electric guitar. At least I think that's what happened. Waiting for the video to come up on hulu.com. Meanwhile this should hold you; same song, anyway.

Blog Entries

So there I was, watching yet another tedious French movie - no, wait, that was the other one ("17 Girls," bit of a trivial trifle) - this was actually a very entertaining little film called "Chicken With Plums" (or "Poulet Avec Prunes;" it's in French), in which a master violinist gives up on his disappointing life and goes to bed to die (this is not as depressing as that sounds, as there is a lot of joy and humor as well, but that is the central theme). It's set in Iran (I assume it was an international production), and in an early scene our hero goes into a music store to find a replacement for his smashed violin (look, I am trying to keep to the mandolin-specific content (minuscule in the context of the film, but all-important within our petit milieu) but there is a lot going on in this film). Hanging in the shop are various ouds and lutes and other mandolinesque instruments. These are seen rather briefly, as background set dressing, but nice to see all the same. The movie is really quite charming, full of small delights, well worth seeking out.

Also seen recently, a more mainstream if still indie production, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," about a teenager who has ben through a lot, and keeps distant from others as he enters his freshman year in high school, until he makes a few friends. The opening sequence features an acoustically-driven song, in which after a little bit mandolin makes an appearance. It took a bit of sleuthing to find out what it was - "Could It Be Another Change" by The Samples. Here are two videos - the official version, with at least something to look at, and another with just the movie poster - and oddly enough, a great many more hits. The latter has better sound quality, or I would have gone with just the first. It's no great shakes, but my ears always perk up when a mandolin calls.

And finally, Brandi Carlile has been showing up on the tube lately, as she has recently released an album. She has added a fiddler to the touring band, and on at least one song he plays a pancake mandolin. Not expertly, mind you, but nice to hear. I have been a fan of hers since "The Story" - one of my favorite albums of the millennium - and following her ever since. So that was why I was tuning in, and was pleasantly surprised by the new addition. Not her best work, but nice enough.

Last edited by journeybear; Nov-16-2012 at 11:34am. Reason: irrepressible completist at work here, stymied by insufficient computer power

Notice the mandolin with Ronnie and Jimmy in the newest batch of GEICO commercials, I can't tell what type of mando it is but it looks cool!
    Musica mulcet ad animam.
    Musica placet aurium.
    Musica aedificat corda

There is a thread about the GEICO commercial: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...t=ronnie+jimmy

Link TV has world music segment, saw some nice music, + 1 w a mandolin..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Miniseries ,"Storm of the Century" one of the charecters is playing Mandolin at the kitchen table just as he and his girlfriend & her kids decide to go to the comunity shelter. He seemed to actually be playing something but the scene was only 15 seconds or so.
    Jim Richmond

Ok. Mary Mack is hilarious.

15. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

My wife was watching "Meet Me in St. Louis" and I happened to walk through when Judy Garland and Tootie are singing "Under the Bamboo Tree". There is a guy "playing" mandolin through the whole number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXkeBI0ZDYQ

Sorry, about the link, I swear I will learn to embed.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

Saw "Life Of Pi" yesterday. Fascinating film, fine storytelling, and one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. Just amazing visually. If it doesn't win the Oscar for cinematography you can set me adrift in a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger. But that's not why I'm posting. Sitting through the credits - not sure why, wasn't expecting to see anyone's name nor any other relevant info, probablu just wanting the experience to keep going on - I saw in the music credits the following: George Doering - mandolin and Glen Holmen - bass mandolin. You could have knocked me over with a feather - not actually, as I was still slouched down in my seat, but figuratively ... This is a movie about an Indian boy who grows up with his family in a zoo they own which they have to sell and then they leave on a sea voyage with the animals and - well, what I'm saying is, the soundtrack was very Indian in nature, befitting the thematic elements, and contained no Western pop music, which was why I wasn't expecting to see anything in the credits. Then I saw that, and then I noticed there was indeed a bit of mandolin tremolo in the music over the credits right then, mixed in with the sitar and all. Plus seeing a credit for a bass mandolin was a first for me. So off to imdb I go, and find nearly nothing for Glen Holmen (literally - only one credit, soon to be two), but OMG - 847 titles for George Doering! Dude's been busy! I've never heard of him. Anyone? Meanwhile, go see this movie, if you haven't already. It's excellent.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jan-23-2013 at 12:21pm. Reason: because I like editing

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

This weekend I saw the chick flick "Safe Haven" with my girlfriend. At the end of the movie in the town 4th of July celebration scene, a country/americana band is playing and the camera pans and does a nice closeup of the mando player, and a close shot on his F5 style mando. Of course I immeadiately pointed it out to my girlfriend who just smiled...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Blog Entries

Well, maybe it's not really random if a band in which one of the main members plays mandolin regularly shows up on TV and the guy is playing mandolin. But if it's a pretty random mandolin, like an electric resonator mandolin, it's worth noting. Also, it's always nice when a mandolin is given a good level in the mix. This is The Band Perry on Letterman last night. A bit out of sync on my computer, maybe OK on yours.

Traveling Tracks Traveling Tracks's Avatar

Watching TV with my kids...there is a new Disney Junior show called "Sofia the First" about a little princess in Europe I take it....wasn't really paying attention....until one of the supporting characters is playing the mandolin and then accompanies the main character while she sings a song. My kids were freaking out....."Dad, she's playing a mandolin!!!"
    Collings MF

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Well, maybe it's not really random if a band in which one of the main members plays mandolin regularly shows up on TV and the guy is playing mandolin. But if it's a pretty random mandolin, like an electric resonator mandolin, it's worth noting. Also, it's always nice when a mandolin is given a good level in the mix. This is The Band Perry on Letterman last night. A bit out of sync on my computer, maybe OK on yours.
    And it was the second time recently that Letterman has commented (positively) on a mandolin in recent months. He has MIS - Mandolin Inquisitiveness Syndrome.

Was watching Letterman last night and I guess it was a re-run from a while ago with the episode with Steve Martin and Lonesome River Band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3FD29iLlUo

At the very end he says "What is that? Oh a mandolin"
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Blog Entries

Contact your TV provider. Something's wrong. Last night's episode was new, with The Flaming Lips. (Something was wrong with that, too, but in another way ... )

But yes, Dave has come a ways since Steve Earle's appearance way back when, in 1988. "Yeah, it's a real dumb question." Classic!

Could have been a couple nights ago...I forget
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

A mandolin in todays "Shoe" comic.......

http://www.gocomics.com/features/sea...ch_string=shoe
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

weird... i really hate this for some reason
    [/QUOTE]