Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Random mandolin sightings

Registered User Terry Allan Hall's Avatar

Default Re: Random mandolin sightings

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Hi Willie

He plays a 4 string something or other and a turtle shell one at 2:08
    http://youtu.be/NXRWdySrjDc
    Kirk Douglas is a fairly competent tenor banjo/tenor guitar player, and his instrument he built is kinda a tenor or a mando-turtle-ola...

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Well, this is a first for me - a mandolin sample in a live performance. At least I think that is how it was done. Right at the start, to kick off the song, you will hear mandolin, but there isn't one to be seen. The instrumentation is drums, guitar, keyboards and DJ. The mandolin sound is being produced by - I dunno. Guitar through midi? A disc on the turntable? A sampled sound on the keyboard? That's my guess. Maybe someone more up on this sort of technology or music can give a more informed opinion. But if all you want to hear is mandolin, do yourself a favor and stop after the first four measures.

Also, there was mandolin (this time a real one) in The Lumineers' performance on Ferguson Wednesday night. Just rhythm, but nice enough. Still waiting for that to show up on youtube.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

OK - Couldn't find a clip of just The Lumineers; this segment includes the end of Jeffrey Tambor's time. There's a bit of language, so you'll have to go to youtube for it. Their performance starts at 6:00 in.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

My money's on a midi
    "...two of the most acclaimed musicians around..."?!
    Please! Ellen, you're killing me!...Acclaimed performers maybe, but not acclaimed musicians.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Ellen IS very proactive with praise.

I'm still thinking sample via keyboard. These things have gotten very realistic. Another possibility is backing track. Remember Ashlee Simpson on SNL, when she forgot about the "live" part?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    My money's on a midi
    "...two of the most acclaimed musicians around..."?!
    Please! Ellen, you're killing me!...Acclaimed performers maybe, but not acclaimed musicians.
    If rapping well is so easy, perhaps you should give it a shot and tell us how it goes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    If rapping well is so easy, perhaps you should give it a shot and tell us how it goes.
    SincereCorgi, I do not think rapping well is "so easy". Moreover, I believe that there are many rappers who truly are/were acclaimed musicians. Some (but not all) I'd put on that list are: Ludacris, Kanye West, Eazy-E, Notorius B.I.G., Nelly, Tupac, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Ice T, Dr. Dre, Chuck D, Mike D, MCA, Ad-Rock, and of course, The Bill Monroe of Rap, Eminem.

Colbie Caillat and Common are not on that list. My issue isn't with Rap, it with the elevation of these two performers to the statue of "acclaimed musicians".

We seem to live in a time of ridiculous hyperbole. I think the use of hyperbole here minimizes the stature of the truly great (like those mentioned above).

P.S.: I should add here that, in my opinion, Eminem is the greatest lyricist in the history of American popular music. ( Sorry Bob Dylan, this statement isn't hyperbole )
    Last edited by Ed Goist; Apr-07-2012 at 8:05pm. Reason: Had to add Chuck D to the list of great rappers...& added P.S.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

8. The following members say thank you to Ed Goist for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    SincereCorgi, I do not think rapping well is "so easy". Moreover, I believe that there are many rappers who truly are/were acclaimed musicians. Some (but not all) I'd put on that list are: Ludacris, Kanye West, Eazy-E, Notorius B.I.G., Nelly, Tupac, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Ice T, Dr. Dre, Chuck D, Mike D, MCA, Ad-Rock, and of course, The Bill Monroe of Rap, Eminem.

Colbie Caillat and Common are not on that list. My issue isn't with Rap, it with the elevation of these two performers to the statue of "acclaimed musicians".

We seem to live in a time of ridiculous hyperbole. I think the use of hyperbole here minimizes the stature of the truly great (like those mentioned above).

P.S.: I should add here that, in my opinion, Eminem is the greatest lyricist in the history of American popular music. ( Sorry Bob Dylan, this statement isn't hyperbole )

start the video and at :16 seconds and check out the guitarist on the right playing way up the neck. He is clearly in rhythm with the mandolin-sounding instrument.... pushed thru some effects/synth type deal... that's got to be the source of the "mandolin" sound.

There is lots of great stuff out there, acclaimed or not. I have a 17 year old who has exposed me to all kinds of hip-hop - including Common. I think I recall that Colbie gal singing something with Jason Mraz (another musician introduced to me who is very good)... never heard that song before but I liked it and the performance - mandolin or no mandolin.

Ain't music grand.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mossmanl View Post
    start the video and at :16 seconds and check out the guitarist on the right playing way up the neck. He is clearly in rhythm with the mandolin-sounding instrument.... pushed thru some effects/synth type deal... that's got to be the source of the "mandolin" sound. ...snip...
    Very good catch! I think you're right.
    Oh, I should add that I think this is a very fine performance...Maybe these two are more acclaimed than I initially thought.
    Music is grand!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

The phrase "acclaimed musicians" is composed of two elements. Regardless of my estimation of their talents, I assume that both performers have received a good amount of acclaim; record sales on their level don't come without a lot of notice and commentary, both positive and negative. But when it comes to calling singers "musicians," perhaps I get a little pedantic on this point. I tend to think of a musician as someone who plays an instrument. In my experience, singers who don't also play an instrument are often quite clueless about what it takes to learn how to play music, and also seem to feel they are somehow special, in a curiously egomaniacal way, as if they are in possession of a marvelous gift. This attitude may arise from a singer's belief that since their voicebox has been configured in an extraordinary fashion, this attribute is somehow extrapolated to include the whole person. Some sure act this way, anyway, which can be frustrating for those who have put in years learning to play an instrument. Oh yes, singing is a skill (one which I have in much less quality or quantity than mandolinning, such as that is - make of that what you will), and can be developed through effort from what one has to work with in the first place. But in performance, most of the audience's attention tends to be focused on the singer, and singers tend to revel in this attention and (ahem) acclaim.

So I don't much care for these two being termed "acclaimed musicians" on this basis. I probably would not have thought twice about this if Ed hadn't pointed it out, and he probably wouldn't have noticed anything if Ellen had said something like "acclaimed performers." But she didn't, he did, and here I am embroiled in the most significant discussion ever, about the most outrageous misnomer ever. I agree with Ed about this being an age of ridiculous hyperbole, the worst such situation ever. This even includes a time over a century ago when flowery language was all the rage; at least those pretentious polemics arose from a desire to use descriptive terms, different from just gushing. Additionally, there seems to be an astounding abundance of short attention span and short memory, as attested by the overwhelmingly often repeated locution "the best" ( or "greatest" or "worst" (or "whatever")) ever. "Ever" in these cases seems to go back perhaps a week, or however far back the speaker or writer can remember without thinking too hard - which is the shortest span of time "ever" has ever referred to. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by mossmanl View Post
    start the video and at :16 seconds and check out the guitarist on the right playing way up the neck. He is clearly in rhythm with the mandolin-sounding instrument.... pushed thru some effects/synth type deal... that's got to be the source of the "mandolin" sound.

There is lots of great stuff out there, acclaimed or not. I have a 17 year old who has exposed me to all kinds of hip-hop - including Common. I think I recall that Colbie gal singing something with Jason Mraz (another musician introduced to me who is very good)... never heard that song before but I liked it and the performance - mandolin or no mandolin.
    Good eye! That seems like the best explanation - some kind of pedal that gives a string-doubling effect for a guitar (eliminating the need for an actual 12-string) - which when played an octave up would duplicate a mandolin sound. I recall Colbie Caillat doing some duets with Jason Mraz on his big hit, "I'm Yours," one in a long line of pop songs with the 1-5-6m-4 chord progression that have flooded the airwaves for the past decade or so. She is a pleasant, charming, engaging singer (and also plays ukulele occasionally), one whom I always tune in to see when she is on the tube.

Common, and his colleagues, not so much. I am not too keen on rap or hip-hop, for what it's worth. I find the attitude with which it is presented off-putting, as well as the lack of melody. I just don't care for being shouted at, which is how the net result affects me. I tend to gravitate toward listening to something pleasant, and while I can handle challenging music, it still has to draw me in rather than be thrust at me. But, as always, YMMV. And Ed, if you really consider Eminem a greater lyricist than Dylan, and dozens, scores, perhaps hundreds of other lyricists, and are not kidding ... well, you are of course entitled to your opinion, however wrong it is!

Blog Entries

Eminem has gone places with his lyrics that (to my knowledge) no one else has ever gone in the history of popular music.
    I believe there is genius at work here...Dark and sometimes angry genius, but genius nonetheless.
    Every time I listen to his lyrics I'm overwhelmed by their density, imagery and the style with which they are composed.
    In my opinion he's operating on another plane...
    JB, to use the name of one of your favorite performers as an adjective, I'd say Eminem is damn near "Hendrixian" when it comes to being a lyricist. ( Of course, this is all opinion...No debate is desired, and I shall not engage in one. )
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

You know i respect your opinion, so I have to consider I may have missed something there. I have no desire to delve further in debate on the subject either; I doubt much is to be gained from such an endeavor. As I said or implied, I find the whole effect of this kind of music so off-putting I have listened closely to very little of it, certainly not with the discernment necessary to educe lyrical content. I have one rap/hip-hop album - Arrested Development's first album - which is so categorized but seems too melodic to fit that categorization. Other than that, I like two rap songs - Tone Loc's "Wild Thing" and Blondie's "Rapture" (if you want to call it rap; it is more of an ironic take on rap that somehow failed to kill the then-new music form). Both of those have a vastly softer vocal approach than is common today, or for rap's entire history, as far as I know, as well as use humor to a greater extent than most of what I've heard. But since you set such store in his work, I will put Eminem on my to-do list. I make no promises where on that rather lengthy list it will land, but since other friends of mine whose tastes I respect also have given Mr. Mathers a modicum of acclaim it behooves me to give him a try.

Blog Entries

I Love Tone Loc's Wild Thing! (with that classic EVH guitar sample from Jamie's Cryin')
    Oh, and Funky Cold Medina too! (from the same album, "Lōc-ed After Dark")
    Those are some old school jams right there!
    ...Now back to Random Mandolin Sightings.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

As promised/threatened/mentioned in Part 2 of Post #52 - The Lumineers on Ferguson last Wednesday, with their song "Ho Hey" (yes, that's its name, though they are clearly singing "Hey!" then Ho!" by my reckoning. They are based in Denver, her name is Neyla Pekarek, and yes, she has a capo on the fifth fret.

Here is the official version. They get the words right here.

nevermind
    Last edited by Martin Stevens; Apr-10-2012 at 3:18am.
    Ellis F5 Deluxe #130
    Member of the Bluegrass Regulators
    http://dancrary.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post
    nevermind
    That was sort of my thought after clicking The Lumineers links.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Blog Entries

Hey, they can't all be Katzenjammer. When they finally get on American TV (which clearly missed the boat when they were here), they will be featured here, you can be sure of that. Meanwhile, just reporting the news. Editorial is another department. Technically.

Understood; no problem; all good.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

Blog Entries

Cool beans (¿frijoles frias?). I just get a little giddy whenever a mandolin shows up unannounced in the media. That's all this thread is about. Wish it happened more often, but all in good time ...

Blog Entries

Well, this will teach me to keep my eyes, ears, and mind open. Jason Mraz had a mandolinist with him yesterday on Ellen; I assume he will do the same song the same way on Kimmel tonight.

Blog Entries

Just saw "Thin Ice," a very enjoyable yarn that is sort of a mix of "Fargo" and "The Usual Suspects," in which the maguffin is a supposedly very valuable violin. Early on our hero (or anti-hero) visits a violin expert's shop, and tucked away among the racks of violins is a mandolin, bowlback I think (mostly hidden behind a violin). A bit later he goes to a music store to buy a cheap violin, and there's a mandolin hanging on the rack as well. These are bit parts, walk-ons really, and not enough reason to see the movie - that would be the script and some of the performances, as well as the twist at the end - but always nice to see a mandolin in a movie.

Blog Entries

A friend of mine just posted this to facebook, a scene from the 1944 Bogey-Bacall vehicle, "To Have And Have Not," their first pairing, and the chemistry was obvious and volatile. Much of the activity occurs in a bar in a Caribbean island, and it is upstairs in a hotel room that Slim tells Steve how to whistle. That's Hoagy Carmichael at the piano, singing his own "Hong Kong Blues." The band appears to be much the kind of odd conglomeration of instruments one does indeed find down here - people who have made it this far and then can't seem to leave for one reason or other. So there is a plectrum banjo, violin, and mandolin.

Knowing this clip was on the web inspired me to find this one, as Bacall sings a sultry number:

As far as I know these are the only times a mandolin shows up in a Bogart movie.

Blog Entries

One of the perks of volunteering at our local non-profit cinema is I get to see movies for free (plus free popcorn and soda, and we use real butter and have Mountain Dew), and since this is mostly an art house and we have four screens, I get to see a lot of movies that I probably never would otherwise. And so, sometimes I see things ...

"The Footnote" (nominee for Best Foreign Film Oscar, from Israel): There is a party about five minutes in with an acoustic band, and mandolin is the lead instrument);

"Salmon Fishing In The Yemen": mandolin featured prominently in the music in the trailer, though not in the movie (IIRC);

"Wanderlust": mandolin featured in the soundtrack, though not played by the hippie band that keeps jamming at the commune;

And as I mentioned last week, two appearances in "Thin Ice."

Somehow, no musician credits. Oh well ... at least it's showing up ...

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

I spotted a brief mandolin appearance on Episode 2 of The History Channell's Hatfields & McCoys miniseries. It showed up in a scene about 20 minutes from the end, just before Johnse Hatfield bursts into the saloon where his brother and uncle are enjoying some "quality time". One of the characters (possibly Elias Hatfield) is picking out an unknown (to me), somewhat "fiddlistic" (to borrow a word from Darol Anger) melody on a flat-top, oval-hole mandolin. I suppose it could be a Martin, but I'm not sure when they started building mandolins.
    Last edited by Marty Henrickson; May-31-2012 at 10:06am. Reason: spelling
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henrickson View Post
    I spotted a brief mandolin appearance on Episode 2 of The History Channell's Hatfields & McCoys miniseries. It showed up in a scene about 20 minutes from the end, just before Johnse Hatfield bursts into the saloon where his brother and uncle are enjoying some "quality time". One of the characters (possibly Elias Hatfield) is picking out an unknown (to me), somewhat "fiddlistic" (to boorow a word from Darol Anger) melody on a flat-top, oval-hole mandolin. I suppose it could be a Martin, but I'm not sure when they started building mandolins.
    Episode 1 had a mandolin as well, though not being played. I was wondering about the authenticity for the period.