Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quick eastman 904 review please

I have put my 63' Vega 5 string tubaphone openback banjo up for trade for an Eastman mandolin on "Banjohangout" (the kind folks here would'nt allow other instruments to be classified on M.C., but it's their site and rules).
    # I had really wanted to trade for an Eastman F style w/ oval holes as I already have an Givens A and have always wanted an F but I've got a nice offer for an 904 (A model oval hole).
    # #Has anyone got one that can give a quick review-(even any oval hole Eastman). I play some bluegrass, alot of Irish & Scottish and use it in the Slovenian polka bands I play in on some tunes. I would appreciate any info, thank you. Jon

Jon

Warm, crisp. Bass a bit woofy. Short neck. What's a Vega worth? I have an extra F / oval Eastman! 866 884 6546
    Stephen Perry

Blog Entries

I had an Eastman 814 (F-oval) that I liked alot. The Eastman had a nice tone to me, open, good sustain, the neck was comfortable and Stephen Perry did a great set up - Voodoo on it when I got it. With my Spira (flat top oval hole) and a Brian Dean Lyon and Healy Style A repro coming next spring I didn't need another oval hole mando so I traded it for a Breedlove KF.

What I liked about the Eastman was the neck shape was comfortable, the Varnish finish was nice. It was an F4 I could afford.

What I found challenging, at least now as I deal with the Breedlove, is the Eastman had a narrower neck and thinner not as tall frets (call 'em vintage frets if you like). The Breedlove is pretty darn wide for me and I've not yet gotten used to it.

A well set up Eastman can be a joy to play. Many folks feel the Eastmans do not improve in tone substantially as you go up from the 500-900 series. Just the wood and binding get nicer. Only you can be the judge of that when you have several Eastman mandos on hand to taste.

Jamie

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

"Warm, crisp."

Stephen, that's chicken!

Curt

I don't understand "chicken" in this context. I ate chicken last night.
    Stephen Perry

Had one, sold it. Played several others, nice but not the old Gibson A oval hole tone I wanted. I have an old A3 on loan right now that sounds exactly like what I was looking for with the Eastmans, and would not cost any more than a new 904. Look around before you jump. And don't expect anything to sound like your Givens. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

If you sell the 5 string, going rate should get you more.

than SRP , for the 904.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Eastman has parallel bars, unlike old Gibson. Will sound much different.
    Stephen Perry

Steve, he means that "Warm and crisp" sounds like you're describing fried chicken. But he was probably hungry when he wrote that. The rest of us know what you meant.

Speaking of which, I drove past a Kentucky Fried Chicken store last week, and they were advertising that their fried chicken was made with "No Trans Fat!" Of course, they didn't mention the cholesterol and the bucket of "okay" oil it's fried in. Warm and crispy!

I really like my 904D (oval hole, 2-pointer).

Sounds great, plays smoothly, looks pretty, hand made. If it's in your price range, I wouldn't hestitate.

Quote Originally Posted by
    I really like my 904D (oval hole, 2-pointer).

Sounds great, plays smoothly, looks pretty, hand made. If it's in your price range, I wouldn't hestitate.
    I have the same model; I really like the sound and playability of mine, too.

I know the wood binding is a bit more fragile than "the man made stuff", but the wood binding is real pretty to look at.

I have a lot of room to grow before I will need to upgrade, it was a good choice.

I like the binding myself. As a matter of fact, I have a Huss & Dalton guitar with the same maple binding. Great look for me as well.

I've no complaints about it at all. Steve Perry at Gianni did a great set-up on it. It was a IBMA model, #13.

Mine's a blonde one.

I have an 804D, 2 point, classic finish. Purchased from Bernunzio's, Mandovoodoo by Steve Perry.
    Beautiful to look at, sounds great, plays easy.

Smile

I too have a 804D two point from Steve Perry, very nice tone and a joy to look at.

Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

When it comes to chicken, I prefer original recipie, "warm and soft."

I played a very early Eastman oval. It was one of the first in the country. Then I also played a new one a couple years later. I found them both to have a very boomy bass and strong mids. Like a lot of ovals, I found the treble end to be weak, although that could possibly develop with time, or with some luthiery work. Fit, finish, appearance and playability were all good. Seemed like a good deal for the price. Just MHO, YMMV.

Jim Richter's F4 up on youtube seems to give out a lot well defined bass. I know he's got strong skills, but is that also an oval thing or just the traditional Gibson sound I'm liking?

Hi guitharsis

Must be John Bernunzio likes the Eastman 804's and 904's. My 904 2-point, blonde came from Bernunzio's also! It was from NAMM Jan 2006. I was "just looking", I guess it found me; I tried to walk away from it, but it called me back.

I love it.

Vicky

PS Thanks for sending me the RMSO music, it is still beyond my ability, but I'm working on it. I still have hopes!

Maybe an oval should be like the original "Jeff Davis" fried chicken. Pressure cook, then brown in a skillet. Crisp outside, soft tender inside.
    Stephen Perry

Hi Vicky,
    Sounds like your 904 is pretty special and was just too nice to walk away from!! Yes, Bernunzio's is a great place. The last time I went "looking" there, I walked out with a 1915 Gibson A1! It was brought into Bernunzio's by the granddaughter of the original owner.

Glad you're still enjoying the music. It's a bit difficult for me too.

Doreen

Blog Entries

I've had a pretty good experience every time I play an eastman. Sometimes I have a great experience. They are nice. Talk to Steve Perry about it. He's been with Eastman since the beginning.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

my oval eastman needs a set up job right now, but as whole the E string rings out with a long sustain I like. I feel the mandolin deadens out along the D string and is parts of the A.
    For me my eastman is just the campfire mandolin. Eastman is nice stuff for sure. However, don't expect any professional level sound quality out of it.

Blog Entries

Yeah, my buddy who is looking to upgrade is experiencing that. He likes everythign about it expect for the tone. The problem is, to go from $1,300 to a nice American made F style is a huge jump. He is trying to find the gem for like $1,800. I told him good luck. On top of it, he's not really able to get creative. He wants a cadillac for the price of a Chevy.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

"9) Eastman mandolin. “Eastman makes violins, and I’ve been dealing with their violins for a long time. To me, the mandolin is amazing - and I’ve had three Lloyd Loars at different times. It’s Chinese. Mandolin players talk about how an instrument does or does not ‘bark.’ Well, the only new mandolins I’ve eve played that barked - with the exception of one Gilchrist that’s better than any of the Loars I ever had - are a couple of Eastmans. They’re really good. The one thing about it that was not wonderful was that it was very trebly sounding. So I had Stephen Perry in Tennessee do his MandoVoodoo thing on it, and it’s now much deeper and richer sounding. It’s a better mandolin than I am a mandolin player."

David Bromberg quoted by Dan Forte in Vintage Guitar, July 2007

As usual, different players get different mileage. There's not an absolute best for everyone. David's mandolin was well broken in when I went through it.

I've tweeked Eastmans for a number of other professionals. They worked very well for their uses on stage. Good players, some you'd recognize.
    Stephen Perry

Quote Originally Posted by (Snakebeard Jackson @ Oct. 22 2007, 10:04)
    my oval eastman needs a set up job right now, but as whole the E string rings out with a long sustain I like. I feel the mandolin deadens out along the D string and is parts of the A.
    For me my eastman is just the campfire mandolin. Eastman is nice stuff for sure. However, don't expect any professional level sound quality out of it.
    Don't tell Roscoe Morgan this.

That would be correct! I had to buy my 2000 Gibson F5L to get a markedly different, if better mandolin than my Eastman 615. I paid over 4 times the price to get into the Fern. I'm not sure that it is that many times better, I've just been intrigued by the tone of players like Lawson and Sizemore and heard that particular tone in the Fern I bought.
    Pick through a bunch...I've had to do that whatever the headstock says. Eastman is a professional mandolin...my 615 paid my mortgage and put food on the table for 3+ years! Eastmans are also made from different trees <g>, so why should every mandolin have the same sound anyway? I wish I had the tree, or part of it, that July 9, 1923 Loars came from. Engineering and build quality (both irrevocable factors) aside, you've just got to find the mandolin that came from the "lucky tree"! Then...look at the name on the headstock, and hopefully it will be at your budget price point. Eastman DEFINITELY did it for me!
    Roscoe Morgan

2000 Sim Daley signed Gibson F-5L

www.sunsethillmusic.com