Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red diamond mandolin

So you placed an order and are going to receive it in a few weeks? I thought he had a wait list.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Arrrgh! I was thinking of selling mine, but now I can't!!
    "No point in thinking outside the box until you know what's IN the box. . ." #Frank Ford

Quote Originally Posted by (biorkman @ Oct. 18 2007, 17:09)
    So you placed an order and are going to receive it in a few weeks? I thought he had a wait list.
    That's the same thing I was wondering . . .

I guess I should clarify the "order." #After seeing the pics of the other A5 in this thread I immediately contacted Don about ordering one. #He had one in this last batch that the original buyer backed out on due to some unforseen financial hardship. #So I lucked out and said, "I'll take it!" #

Quote Originally Posted by (sgarrity @ Oct. 18 2007, 23:51)
    I guess I should clarify the "order." #After seeing the pics of the other A5 in this thread I immediately contacted Don about ordering one. #He had one in this last batch that the original buyer backed out on due to some unforseen financial hardship. #So I lucked out and said, "I'll take it!" #And the specs are exactly what I would have ordered. #I have very high expectations for this mandolin and I have a feeling I'll be very satisfied.
    You lucky dog. I hate you.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Aahhhh, c'mon now...hate is such a strong word. How about envy? LOL
    I'll be sure to post a review and pics once it's in my hot lil hands.
    The waiting is the hardest part!!

Quote Originally Posted by (biorkman @ Oct. 19 2007, 00:22)
    Quote Originally Posted by (sgarrity @ Oct. 18 2007, 23:51)
    #I have very high expectations for this mandolin and I have a feeling I'll be very satisfied.
    You lucky dog. I hate you.
    Hey don't worry... Shaun goes through mandolins and guitars like most of us change socks! This one will be for sale just give it a few months!

Hey now.....I resemble that remark!!
    I wish I could keep them all but I find my bank account prefers the catch and release program.
    Besides, I had my RD F5 for over a year. That's darn near a record!

Registered User Chris "Bucket" Thomas's Avatar

Since I pick with Jim and Shaun, I am confident in saying Shaun was contemplating his response during the entire 5 hours and 13 minutes between posts. #It is sometimes hard to face the truth. #J

We should start a pool. #I predict 8 months and he will be looking for something with a scroll (again).

Chris

2007 Gibson F5-L Fern
    1919 Gibson A-0
    2019 Black A4
    BlueRidge BR140
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopherSThomas
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188214780

I'm number 5 on Don's wait list. After speeking with Don, it looks like the next batch of four will also be copies of 'Crusher'. He said that while his vintage model sounds like an average of loars, the 'crusher' sounded more brilliant, crystal and starker.

It'll be interesting to see what I wind up with, either way, I don't think I'll be dissapointed.
    And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

As mas is creeping up on me, I didnt catch how much for an f5, and where is his shop?

I got to play #91 one last night. It was an informal living room setting and I got to swap between my mandolin, the Red Diamond and another which I don't remember the name.

Well, I thought I knew what 'crystal' sounded like, but the RD takes it to a whole nother level. Very nice sounding instrument with a tone like none I've played. Very attractive and easy on the eyes too. A real easy player with low action. What struck me most was that it wasn't as loud as I thought it would be, but it was all there in the tone department. I would definitely put it up there in the top tier of any I've played.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

Jonathan,
    Which of your mandolins were you playing?How would you rank the Red Diamond versus your Stanley, Master and Heiden?
    2001 Gibson Master Model F5 #V70311
    1996 Heiden F-5 #F-023
    2009 Stanley V-5 #44

I had the MM with me. The RD was nice and evenly balanced like the MM, although the MM was louder. The MM also seemed livelier, but I don't know what the string life on the RD was or if it had the bridge off for set-up work prior to being listed for sale. It did sound like it was starting to wake up. I wish I could of had the RD for a few days, but maybe my friend will keep it and I'll get to visit it again.

I really liked the block inlays on the RD for the cool factor and it also had a subtle radius that was very comfortable. I do however think that it was a bit overpriced by the shop that was selling it, but it was in excellent condition

They bought that one for about half of what they are asking for it. I wish them luck!

Beautiful mandolins...One of my friends it trying to get the $$ to purchase one...I hope he does it soon so I can borrow it after he gets it...

Does any one know if Don's email is down? I've tried emailing him several times, but it isn't getting delivered. I need to know his base prices on F-styles.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

I also E-mailed Don a couple of weeks ago with no response.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

Ksig...did you get your Red Diamond yet? I'd love to hear the review...

Default Re: Red diamond mandolin

The one Red Diamond I've had the chance to play was in Live Oak, Fla. after snapping the pegboard off my Duff (long story). I must say...it's the only time I've questioned the choice to play a Duff. Damn you Josh Pinkham!!! ;-)

hillbilly lion tamer Wilbur James's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Hey now.....I resemble that remark!!
    I wish I could keep them all but I find my bank account prefers the catch and release program.
    Besides, I had my RD F5 for over a year. That's darn near a record!
    What about your new Ghilchrist?
    Dignity, Respect and Love, for who they are, not what they are.

I acquired a Vintage '22 (Crusher-voiced) F-style Red Diamond a few months ago. It is simply amazing.

Good to see this old thread revived. Anyone else have any updates and/or opinions on Red Diamond mandolins?

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

I tried one briefly at IBMA, and I think it might just have been my favorite mandolin I played the whole week (minus my own, of course). Unfortunately it was also the mandolin I played the least - there was a SUPER hot picker trying one out as well, and I didn't want to get in the way. I'm normally not one to back away from trying an instrument or stellar musicians, but that guy was GOOD whoever he was. Didn't want to get in the way... intended to go back but never got the chance. I doubt I'll ever replace my main mandolin, but if I ever get a chance to play a Red Diamond again I'll jump at the opportunity. It was very even across the strings, didn't wimp out when played hard, had a real sweet tone and looked gorgeous as well. It kind of reminded me of my own mando, but with a scroll and lower action. I played probably 30 mandolins or so that week, but the Red Diamond was my favorite... I'd like to try another one!
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

I bought one of the replica series RDs last summer. It is a replica of Bobby Osborne's 25 fern. Don MacRostie took 3 mandolins which he thought were among the best ones available and did extensive studies of each one in order to try to duplicate them as exactly as possible. Bobby's fern, Grisman's "crusher" Loar, and Reischman's 24 Loar were the ones he chose to try to duplicate in both appearance and voicing. He made 6 of each in the "replica series". I talked to Bobby and we compared my replica to his fern and to my ears they were very close with his having an older dryer sound but with the replica having equal or greater volumn and similar tone. Danny Roberts owns the prototype Osborne replica and called it an incredible mandolin. Chris Hillman owns one of the Crusher replicas and indicated that he enjoyed playing it more than his Loar.
    Before I purchased mine I played one of the vintage F series RDs and it was wonderful, however the replica model was just a more powerful instrument. There is also a Vintage A series which I have not played. I have owned Gibson F5s as well as other good mandos but none compared to the Diamond. Unfortunately most of us don't have the luxury of playing all of the great mandolins available today so we have to depend on our own experience which usually becomes biased.
    Alvin Deskins at Morgan Music called it the best mando to grace the walls of their store in their 33 years....and they handle several top of the line makers as well as many top trade ins. I know that there are variations in sound from one mando to the next by the same builder, but I have not heard of many unhappy diamond owners. I certainly believe that Don has developed his skills to the highest level and that the Red Diamond is one of the finest instruments being produced today.