Thread: Mando-centric movie soundtracks

My wife and I from time to time buy a movie soundtrack with a wonderful selection of tunes, and our acquisitions range from pop, to folk, to trad and trad-influenced. Occassionally, we find a soundtrack that features the mandolin, and among those, my favorites are An Everlasting Piece (about a couple of toupee salesmen in Northern Ireland), and the Italian film Pane e Tulipani ("Bread and Tulips", which I could only find on Amazon's German site).

What movie soundtracks are you familiar with that feature the mandolin?

(BTW, does anyone have the soundtrack to All the Pretty Horses? If so, what do you think of it? I almost got it for its mando content, but never got around to doing so.)

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

It's been mentioned before in other threads, but the music from "King of the Gypsies" by David Grisman is great. I don't think a seperate soundtrack was ever released, but my wife found a copy of the movie (video) on ebay for me a couple of years ago. Despite the lack of attention, the movie is not bad either.
    Ken.
    Peace

Aren't Grisman (and other DGQ members/friends) IN that film (playing Gypsies)?

Wasn't EMD originally done as soundtrack material?

Any Sirius Dawgophiles know?

"All The Pretty Horses" has tons of tex-mex style music played on mandolin by Marty Stuart (who also did the soundtrack composition). I highly recommend it. In fact, I need to go dig it out. It's a different style than you usually hear on mando.
    '...heaven is a Kentucky of a place'

"Zorba the Greek" and "The Secret of Santa Vittoria" are two films that jump to mind (I'm kind of an Anthony Quinn nut!) and there are some nice tunes in "The Godfather".

Aside from "Song of the South" (which has no mando in it that I know of) "The Secret of Santa Vittoria" gets the highest bids on Ebay for a vhs that I've seen. Guess those b**jo players are one up on us!

Here's another thread on this same topic. Lots of soundtracks with mandos in them.

Mando-in-the-Movies Thread

A couple of little notes.

The tune "EMD" was the title track for a terrible car flick called Eat My Dust.

On a lot sound tracks up through the '60s that sound like they have mandolins or bouzoukis or balalaikas playing, the plucked tones were actually performed by the Crljenica Brothers, a couple Yugoslavian (I can't remember if they are Serbs or Croats, but at the time, they were just Yugoslavian) tamburitza players. Apparently they were the go-to guys in Hollywood whenever an ethnic-sounding plucked instrument was in the score.

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

I was flipping through cable and saw "Heartbreakers" with Sigourney Weaver, Gene Hackman and Jennifer Love Hewitt. There's a scene where they're in a Russian restaurant and there's a mando player and they break into Back in the USSR I think and it's a little balalaika/mandolin kind of quartet. Does anyone know who it was playing?

Indian Summer with Diane Lane has some nice little mandolin tracks in the background. Anyone know who that is?

Bound for Glory - the Woody Gutherie story had some mandolin in it, too...
    Dwight

About "Eat My Dust"... you will hear different opinions about that one. The soundtrack has lots of repetition of the tune "Waiting for Vassar", as well as the title track EMD. The movie itself it admittedly a B movie because of budget, but many classic car buffs love it, and some like the movie for its campy appeal. It's probably most noteworthy for being the directorial debut of Ron Howard, who also stars in the film. I have a friend who owns the VHS version and thinks its one of the great car films, and didn't know a thing about mandolins until I told him about the soundtrack. I watched it and thought it was a good movie for watching really late at night when you want to watch something brainless and crack jokes about it, but it was still enjoyable.

There was a wonderful movie that first got my interest in classical mandolin called "A Little Romance" that I think was played by a group called "Baroque and on the Streets" or something close to that. Daniel