Thread: Breaking in new strings.

So I bought an inexpensive F5, off the classifieds, and just got it back from it's needed fret dressing and bridge shaping.

When I first got it, from the previous owner, it came with Gibson monnel wounds, in pretty good shape. She had a nice mellow, but woody tone. More volume than my Washburn MI-SDL had. Overall a definite improvement.

The subject of strings came up with the luthier who did the work. He suggested D'addario J74 (which is what I have had on the Washburn, for over a year). Said it would give the Johnson a deeper tone.

I think maybe my ears hear diferently than his, or I misunderstood what he meant my "deeper". To me, it sounds bright and "tinny". I hear the metal from the strings, more than I hear the wood in the soundboard. It's kinda harsh sounding!!

Now, I have only had it back for about 24 hours, and have read here that some strings take time to break in.

I am wondering how much time I should give these strings, before going back to the monnels. I have a set of some GHS silk and steel strings with me here, which I bought to experiment with the Washburn, but never made it on.

If ya'll tell me that the D'addarios will probably mellow out soon, I'll let em ride. Otherwise, I want em off of there. At this point, the Washburn sounds better.

What do yall think?? Give the Daddarios more time, go ahead and switch em out for the GHS, or just wait till Monday, find some Monnells and go back to what I know I liked??
    "Tears are only rain that makes love grow"

I'm new to mandolins but old to guitars. I say give them a day or two of playing time. I absolutely hate the sound of brand new guitar strings, they sound to me just like you described: Bright and metallic. Play them for a day or two and it should wear off and sound good.

I agree with your description. I am still trying to get used to the bright sound my Gibson Phosphor Bronzes are making. Hopefully, I can play that sound out.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

John, it largely depends on the amount of oils in your hands. Usually takes me a month, but my hands are very dry as the oils are sapped out by working with wood. Monels won't sound quite as bright, but still need breakin.

Destroyer of Mandolins

My problem has always been that just about the time a set of strings breaks in, it's time to change them out. #My only solution was to find a set that sounded the way I wanted right from the start and stayed there for a long while. #For me the solution was Thomastik Infeld Starks.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

J74's take a week or so for me to be happy with them. The EXP74's I have on now took about a week also but seem to get better and better with each day. It's been over a month and still sound great. I am going to see how long they last before I try some Firewires I just bought.
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

I would think that if you had a fret level and the bridge work, the repair person had all the strings off. If so it may take the mandolin some time to settle again. Something to consider before you right off the strings.

In regards to the strings themselves, for me the J74's sound bright for the first few days, then they start to get darker as time goes on.

I say 2-3 days. That's how long it takes for me and each day I notice the transition. If you have played 2 days and noticed no change, no "improvement" towards a sound you like better than either it is going to take a while, or those aren't strings you are ever going to like so try something else pronto.
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

I just changed for the first time in a while, put on Bush monel for the first time. I did not like them at first, now a couple of days later, they sound better. And I like the extra E and A they give you.

Using EXP's I find they have a very bright tone when installed then calm down to a more mellow tone in a few days.
    During the first week of daily playing I must re-tune ever day since they rest to 'flat'. The stings take a little while to stabilize under tension.

Mine came from Gibson with EXP 74's on them and they were wonderful sounding. I had about a case of Elixirs to use up & I have always used the nanowebs. Been very happy with how they sounded on my other mando's (even new) ofcourse they sound better after a week or so. The only thing I didn't like about them was I would wear notches on the D string almost on every fret mark well before they lost any tone and I didn't like that feel. Now I'm about out of the elixirs and have some EXP74's & 77's waiting. Can't wait to see if I can get that sound I had before.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

They have mellowed out qute a bit. I'm starting to get that "thunk", as oppsed to a "twang". Will be happier when it get's back to "thunG".

OK, so new strings take a while to break in. Never noticed it as much on the Washburn.

Is there a general concensus on what strings give such and such tone as compared to such and such brand/style?? I know they probably all respond differntly on various instruments. but just as a reference...what is the scoop.

"Tears are only rain that makes love grow"

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

Depends totaly on how you play, I know what you are talking about with the metalic sound for J74's Usually after about an hour of playing that goes away. May take longer for others.
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

I've been using EXP 74's for the last several years. I love them. They take me overnight to break in unless I play several hours after changing them. Usually I put them on, play that day and the next morning when I pick the mandolin up they have settled down and ready to go. The Monels, when I used them, took about two minutes to break in. Each player, mandolin, and set up will like a different string. What sounds great to me may not to another player. Just like finding the perfect mandolin, you have to work with strings until you find the ones you love for that mandolin.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest