Thread: Anniversary of the passing of mr. bill monroe

Today marks the 11th anniversary of the passing of William Smith Monroe in Springfield, TN, just shy of his 85th birthday.

Here is some trivia I picked up researching Bill's life for a radio show tribute yesterday: #1) Bill's first and second choice of instruments were the fiddle and guitar, not the mandolin. As the youngest of 8 kids, he was low on the pecking order and his brothers made him play the mandolin, and with only 4 strings on it as they didn't want him to be too loud. Probably explains the genesis of his strong right-hand technique. 2) He performed for 4 different President's at the White House. 3) When he moved to Chicago at 16 after losing both of his parents, he was a square dancer on Chicago’s WLS National Barn Dance at night/weekends and worked in a oil refinery by day.
    4) By 1943, he was grossing some $200,000 a year from show dates, many of them staged as part of his own Opry tent show, which combined music and comedy in delighting rural and small-town audiences throughout the South.
    5) He is not only in the Country Music Hall of Fame, but was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997 under the category "Early Influence."

All of us mandolin pickers and anyone who loves bluegrass music owes a great deal of thanks to Bill. #RIP!

A good day to breakout the mando and play some Monroe standards.
    Go Vandals!

I went to Rosine yesterday, went to the Old Home Place and visited his grave site. I've always wanted to make that trip, and since I was in Owensboro for the Monroe Style Mandolin camp, I was in the neighborhood. I have picked the mandolin all day and had a chance to listen to Mike Compton, Skip Gorman, Frank Wakefield, Roland White, and David Long play some of the Monroe standards....too cool! I have an accelerated case of MAS and am playing a cross tuned Flatiron working on Get Up John.

I posted my thoughts on this great man in a previous thread. We should all thank the Lord for his music & the influence that it has had on our lives. My personal admiration for Mr.William Smith Monroe has no bounds. It does however sadden me to hear some of the music that tries to pass as Bluegrass music these days. Although many of the modern bands are exceptionally good,there's too much 'Country & Western' going on for my taste,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

More trivia: He's also in the Country Music and Songwriter's halls of fame, the only person to be in all 4.
    Ben Curnett

Quote Originally Posted by (ben_wv @ Sep. 10 2007, 11:40)
    More trivia: #He's also in the Country Music and Songwriter's halls of fame, the only person to be in all 4.
    Wasn't Johnny Cash in all four to?
    Kenneth.

Two of my top influences on mandolin are gone. #Mr. Bill and Charlie D. #May both keep the mandolin orchestra tuned up in heaven till I can get there.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Quote Originally Posted by (hendrix2 @ Sep. 10 2007, 07:20)
    Wasn't Johnny Cash in all four to?
    From Wikipedia:

"His diversity was evidenced by his presence in three major music halls of fame: the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame (1977), the Country Music Hall of Fame (1980), and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1992). Only ten performers are in both of the last two, and only Hank Williams Sr., Jimmie Rodgers, and Bill Monroe share the honor with Cash of being in all three. However, only Cash was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the regular manner, unlike the other country members, who were inducted as "early influences." His pioneering contribution to the genre has also been recognized by the Rockabilly Hall of Fame. He received the Kennedy Center Honors in 1996. Cash stated that his induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1980 was his greatest professional achievement."
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber