Thread: Any help in determining what this thing is

Default Any help in determining what this thing is

I have a buddy that does scrap/recycling etc and he gets all kinds of cool stuff. This piece came up and he thought of me right away. I have no idea what it is or even how to tune it.... all the bridge pieces are moveable, and the end pocket thing holds a wrench for tuning it. once I clean it up it will look nice.

Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Default Re: Any help in determining what this thing is

Well, it's some variant of a Japanese koto.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I have seen a Korean woman I knew in the past play one of these. I am sorry that I don't know what it is called.
    It was wonderful to hear it played by skilled hands. It sounded just wonderful. She was able to elicit sounds both cheerful, and very mellow, even tiring. When she played this way she said she would do so for her husband when he was tired and needed to sleep well. Just made my eyelids heavy as could be.
    Congratulations on the find!
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Thanks I have found koto tunings now. there are 4 variations of tuning... most have 13 strings so we will see what 18 does
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Perhaps the Chinese variant called a zheng? They usually have 18 strings.

6. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post:

Try as I might, I cannot imagine somebody tossing something looking like that out into a trash bin...

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Looks more like a zheng than a koto.

On the other hand, it is related to the Korean gayageum. This has probably been posted here before, but here is Luna playing Hendrix on the gayageum:

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Adwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys. with help I found it is a Guzeng. but it has 18 not 21 strings. the green strings are tuned A in a D tentatonic. found charts and crap, how to tune... now I need 2 strings as they are frayed a bit..

it is gorgeous wood. the top is all dusty. oncfe I restring and tune it, it should prove fun. don't expect any hendrix from me though... maybe bon jovi