Thread: Chord help

It's like this:

10 E
    #9 G

I can make the chord all right, but alas I must use it in a chord-melody thingy so I need to be able to access it fast. #It's just incredibly hard to squish your fingers onto those frets on tempo. #
    That's really just one example. #Any advice on how to get into hard, finger-crunching chord shapes on-tempo would be nice. Thanks.

I would cover the G and D with my first finger and the A and E with my second. Leaves the other 2 fingers available for noting melody notes. The only advice I can give to you about chord soling and getting into and out of positions quickly is practice.

Well, I would do that, but on this particular horsey, the individual strings are spaced a bit far apart. So..I don't really get a ringing sound when I do the one-finger-for-two-strings thing.Bin there, done that.

On second thought, maybe I'm just not trying hard enough.

You could try that chord in a different position. The chord is a Em7 or G6. Which I'm assuming that your melody note the D on the 10th fret E string. Use
    7th fret on the G
    5th fret on the D
    7th fret on the A
    and reach for the D with your pinky.
    Chord soloing is tricky to get it clean.

Quote Originally Posted by (Zako @ Aug. 02 2007, 14:53)
    Well, I would do that, but on this particular horsey, the individual strings are spaced a bit far apart. #So..I don't really get a ringing sound when I do the one-finger-for-two-strings thing.Bin there, done that. #

On second thought, maybe I'm just not trying hard enough.
    Sounds like you are just using your fingertips? That m7 chord shape is easily played as a barre chord. Lay your index finger down across all strings at the 9th perpendicular to the neck and lay your second finger pad (not tip) down on the A/E. To me that's the easiest of all chord shapes to move into quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by (jefflester @ Aug. 02 2007, 19:27)
    That m7 chord shape is easily played as a barre chord. Lay your index finger down across all strings at the 9th perpendicular to the neck and lay your second finger pad (not tip) down on the A/E. To me that's the easiest of all chord shapes to move into quickly.
    Exactly. In fact, I was wondering why you would find this hard to play.

But then, I've been exploring the nothing-but-bar-chords approach lately, and have learned a great deal. One thing I've learned is that it kills my left hand, and I've really got to work on stamina to do this.
    Come to my evolving web page, where I hope to add more mandolin chord arrangements as I get them finished:
    https://mando.tauxe.net